1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

18 "basketball experts" voted Yao Ming #3 ROY: The final votes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Apr 24, 2003.

1. mj230

mj230 Member

i agree. theres a lot of good pts here.

i dont even watch espn sportscenter anymore.

think of tom tolbert. i dont ever remember him saying anything truly good about yao and he always seems to go out of his way to praise yao's rivals. even if he appeared to say something positive, there was always a negative underlying message.

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

man, ***k the roy award. :mad:

mountains out of molehills.

3. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I'm a little late here, and I haven't read the whole thread, but here's my view.

I'm ok with Amare winning the ROTY....but not the way the voting was done.

You cannot seriously tell me that Caron Butler deserved higher than Yao. Especially 18 TIMES!

I think it had to do with the writers who called Yao a bust before the season, and had too much "pride" to take back their comments. It's just an ego thing.

Sure, Amare was a great rookie, and he may deserve the award too, but, come on now. Everyone knows it was between Amare and Yao. Butler was no where close.

4. cmellon

cmellon Member

OK.. regardless all the ROY result, I am happy that we got a solid humble basketball player in Yao Ming.

Guess who complained about the result? Caron Butler. He thought he should be the one who wins ROY. Here are some quotes:

"In my eyes and a lot of other people's eyes, I felt like I was the best rookie in the league. That's something that's not going to change from an award standpoint. I don't take anything from Amare or Yao Ming, but I felt like I was the best rookie in this league.

"I feel like I am the Rookie of the Year," said Butler, who finished third. "And I'm going to carry myself as if I won that award."

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Amen to that. Garnett did not get the rookie of the year, nor did T-Mac, or Kobe. So don't feel too bad that Yao did not get it. The most important thing is that he comes in next year with a vengeance and as a man possesed. If he shows his critics next year that he is clearly the better player than Amare, then all of the "Yao" foreign player syndrome sufferers in the league will shut up and will have no more credibility. IT is enough that Charles Barkley picked Amare over Yao and all season long was making bets against Yao and hoping and clearly stating that he is hoping for Yao's demise. And we all know Charles is clearly a racist guy, from his past history with talking about races and people.

Oh, and one more thing, Codell, you better remove that racist remark that you apparently think is funny that you have as a quote in all of your posts. If you think that the Muslim Dynamite thing is funny, it really is not, but rather sends the wrong impression about you. LEts keep the threads clean of all the politics or anything other than pure SPORTS!

6. spiral

spiral Member

to me this was a funny statement. he's going to carry himself like a rookie for the rest of his life.

look on the bright side, at least yao didn't offend the PETA people and endorse got milk? right? ;) :cool: