1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hempstead principal ban students from speaking Spanish

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by body slam, Dec 3, 2013.

1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Edwardc is jerking your chain.

2. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Tower of Babble

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

No Spanish in a class being taught in English seems logical to me.

Much ado about nothing.

4. smr6

smr6 Member

Decided to ask my girlfriend's opinion on this since she can relate to this in many ways. She grew up speaking Spanish and when speaking with her parents speaks only Spanish. Spanish was her first language and she didn't learn to speak English properly until she started school and entered ESL classes.

She said she hates when Hispanics go everywhere and expect everyone to speak Spanish. And she hates that many of them think that they aren't required to learn English here. She worked at HEB all through high school and college and she never wore her bi-lingual sticker and rarely spoke to customers in Spanish (and we went to college in San Antonio) since she thinks they should be learning English if they want to succeed here since that is what her family did. She did say that she doesn't agree this ban though. She thinks that in some way it could be a violation of free speech.

Just thought I'd share with you all a view point from someone who could relate.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Teach the others English.

6. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I had a teacher demanding no English in French class so I find nothing wrong here if it's the case of English class. For science, math class, etc I don't think the teachers have the right to ban Spanish because what they are learning is not language related. However I could see students speaking Spanish might cause communication barrier between teachers and students.

7. howo13579

howo13579 Member

What's up R_H? Dude I think you got me banned from GARM? Got on the forum this morning but can't see the GARM.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

How? I'm not a Mod.

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

i.e. "sup" "fo shizzle" "dude" "nah" "boomshakalaka"

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

He knows that i'm.

11. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I guess everyone labeled me as a racist and I got banned. Thanks for stirring the pot.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Way to take responsibility for your actions and not blame others.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

14. howo13579

howo13579 Member

What was the action that's so offensive?

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

a lot of trolls in here... from the article, kids were talking not writing a gradable paper. should have gotten reprimanded for talking in class and that's it.

there is probably over a dozen "dialects" of american english and no one makes a fuss about it usually. spanglish or american spanish you could probably also classify as a "dialect." same with ebonics, or closer to home southern. dialects or accents don't denote lack of intelligence. it's the criticizers that show lack of intelligence and their discrimination.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

17. howo13579

howo13579 Member

Yes go read the post and tell me what bothers you.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Holy Hell. Just spent 20 minutes reading through the various threads and I have to say WOW. They ignorance in there could make your head explode.

My girlfriend has had small problems with some of her students but what she does is go to them and tell them that she knows Spanish. That had immediate effects of Spanish being spoken less since she teaches 6th grade so none of them called her bluff. And I understand the frustration that comes with what teachers go through being of Mexican descent and not knowing Spanish.

This seems like a non issue but was not handled right by the school.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The fact that you posted on a popular white supremacist website for starters. The fact that you inferred Mexicans to be a race. The fact that you blamed the media for racism against whites. The fact that you don't understand that "racial organizations" exist to fight against racial injustice and inequality the likes of which whites don't suffer from in this country. Basically you're incredibly ignorant but no doubt some of your best friends are blacks and Mexicans so you're okay buddy.