1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin out 2 weeks with grade one knee sprain (UPDATE: Will return vs. Portland)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thesonofsam, Nov 29, 2013.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Not even close. He's just another Lin fanboy who thinks typing a bunch of words masks it.

2. trock

trock Member

So we've decided there really is no difference in Lin and Bev's defense? At least that's settled. Now, what about that 3 pt shooting?

3. yummyhawtsauce

Nope. I'm leaning more towards Friday tbh.

4. DL24

DL24 Member

at least he can articulate his thoughts unlike most dumbass uneducated americans

5. Lihao

Lihao Member

How about those that he held above their average? We can do this all day long.

I like Bev , but i dont like people prop up him for their own agenda. Bev needs to improve his performance. Thread

6. Razsan

Razsan Member

Is that really a good example? Does Bev really cover Kobe when the Rockets play the Lakers? For some reason that seems like a HUGE stretch.

1 person likes this.
  7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I say Lin would cover Kobe. Bev is too short. Well, we may see which way it is when we play Lakers next time.

8. Lihao

Lihao Member

that's a lmao comment from larvs8 , i think we should knew that he got an agenda against Lin. Mchale would need to go for IQ examination if he put Bev on Kobe.
    In case someone is still not clear about it, Parsons the one would be on Kobe like before.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Of course Beverley wouldn't guard Kobe.

It was just a hypothetical example to show how two players with equal opposition eFG% cannot be compared side by side as Torocan was often and incorrectly implying. If one consistently guards higher caliber offensive players (which Beverley does), while the other is hidden on defense (which Lin is), it wouldn't be surprising if opposing defensive numbers are near one another, in fact it would be expected. That would be the whole purpose of putting your best defender on the opposing team's best player and putting your weakest link against their weakest link.

Torocan is really doing a disservice to all the LOF by using bad statistical analysis to constantly prop up Lin and bash everyone else. It is dishonest and only perpetuates the hostilities.

#609 larsv8, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  10. Lihao

Lihao Member

i'm surprise that you used the word limited instead of scrub

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

Can you provide evidence where Lin is hid on defense?

12. yummyhawtsauce

Can you show me the the stats where those PGs played well vs Bev? ty

13. Razsan

Razsan Member

There is no evidence. I'll go as far as saying that if he played with the Heat or Bulls, he'd be considered a good defender. Lin helps and gives up his man to double ALOT. You get burned on that when there is no help or defensive rotation. The Heat, in particular make a living off rotating and doubling.
    No-one is "hiding" Lin's defense.

14. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

If you just disagree with him, and lay out your reasons, everyone learns from the back and forth. OK, not everyone. Revision: People capable of learning learn from the back and forth.

Whether I agree with them or not, your arguments are poking at reasonable spots in his arguments.

Poking at the individual you are arguing with, on the other hand, makes the whole thing so much less valuable. Please don't.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You may have noticed that Patrick Beverley is now in the starting lineup and his minutes mimic the amount of minutes of the opposing team's best PG, as it is clearly his primary directive to focus in on that player and cause as much disruption as possible.

You may have also noticed that Lin now comes off the bench and matches up with the weaker backup players.

16. Lihao

Lihao Member

Wow taking a shot at Torocan , as far as i know, Torocan is a rational poster with huge basketball knowledge that a lot of people around here respect.
    Before you accuse other of using well recorded "bad stats", you might want to use facts to prove your point instead of talking out of your ass.

1 person likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do those weaker back up players play 31 mpg? You aren't fooling anyone. Lin replaces Beverly around the 4 min mark of the first quarter. The starting pg for that team is usually still in. Does Harden switch and defend that elite pg? I doubt it. Before Lin went out, Beverly averaged 30mpg. Unless opposing teams' elite guards only play 30mpg he is NOT mimicking the minutes of opposing number one option guards. In fact Lin has been averaging more minutes per game than Bev when both are playing. He didn't go on the bench because he is "limited" He went on the bench because there is only one ball to go around and Bev with his LIMITED offense is not capable of running the bench offense. Statistical evidence and quotes from Mchale suggest that my view is closer to accurate while you are flat out wrong.

#617 fchowd0311, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  18. rayfantastic

rayfantastic Member

Why is everyone still feeding the troll? Leave it alone already.

19. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Dude, get the **** outta here like Bev's defense has nothing to do with him starting.

There have been plenty of times they've substituted Bev and Lin back and forth at the end of games so they could utilize Beverley's defense when the other team has the ball and Lin's offense when we have the ball.

20. timyeung

timyeung Member

I notice that Lin can attack the basket and create his own shots, whereas Beverly cannot.
    I also notice that the bench needs someone who can lead the offense, which is something Lin can do whereas Beverly cannot.