1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Taking a look at Omer Asik Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 19, 2013.

1. eslate22

eslate22 Member

You are right about perimeter defense being a weakness, but i dont think the bulls would be willing to give up deng since they have only him and heinrich as their perimeter scorer now that rose is out... Morey doesnt want to trade with anyone in the WC so i guess we could go after some 3/stretch 4 in the East

2. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Methinks we should trade Asik for a 1st round pick in that deep draft next year.

T. Jones satisfies our needs at the 4.

3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This team would be deadly if they could run a
    Lin Harden Deng Parsons Howard lineup.

The Heats success defensively was there ability to switch on the point guard in pick in roll situations, and have a man capable of staying in front of the guy coming off the screen.

Please Morey, the playoffs are what matters. And come playoff time, Hpward will be playing close to 40 mins(rim protection).

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I've got a feeling Asik to ATL for Millsap might still be a possibility with TJones being traded for a pick. That upgrades the PF spot still and gets us a pick still. I just think that because ATL might be one of the only teams where we can get the most value for Asik since he actually fits what they need and are trying to do. TJones can always be traded any time up to the deadline for the best pick. I love what Jones has been doing, but I wouldn't put it past DM to do it having traded away MM and PP without much hesitation.

6. i3artow i3aller

Terrence Jones is better than MM and PP. Whatever happens we can all take solace in that Morey is the master negotiator.

"Some people work in the dark...@dmorey IS the dark!" ~ Doc Rocket.

7. bongman

bongman Member

I think you have to look at those trades in context. We were still in early build mode then to position ourselves in getting DH. Unless Morey has been targeting a particular player and it requires TJ, that might be the only time he gets traded. Not for an unknown lottery pick because as it stands, if we do a redo of the 2012 draft, somebody can make an argument that TJ could be top 6

8. Eleazucena

Eleazucena Member

This...
    T jones had been playing well.. The kid is average double figure on points... Hustle. Plays defense and especially he rebound!!

Asik for a back up center and picks

9. Raven

Raven Member

I will give you a few reasons why the Rockets should look to trade for a solid rotation guy instead of a draft pick, Thunder, Blazers, Clippers, Spurs, Pacers, and Heat.

10. basketballholic

I think this is possible.

What if.......Morey negotiated a deal with the Nets for Pierce/Garnett and pick swap rights for 2016, 2017, 2018 for Asik/Lin/Brewer/Smith? That's enough salary to get the deal done. And it destroys the value of those pick swaps for Atlanta. Not only does Atlanta not get Asik but they also get their draft picks watered down to the 20's, potentially not even worth anything.

Remember the Nets have no reason to lose. They have no draft pick. They have every incentive to win. Their owner is paying the highest payroll in the history of the NBA and he wants to win now.

You plug in Asik and Lin, Deron comes back and all of a sudden they're playing like gangbusters. Here comes the playoffs. And those pick swaps that Atlanta owns become next to worthless. In fact, the Nets might just surpass the Hawks with Asik battling in the paint for them.

So what does Atlanta do? Better work out a middle ground if you want to get value for those Nets picks.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

In spite of what Simmons might have you believe, Pierce and KG are done. At the very least KG is done, and Pierce is steadily in decline. This is not a team whose chemistry you F with by adding high priced, egotistical veterans who will be assuming heavy roles in the rotation. Deng yes Millsap yes Love God yes, but no way Jose to KG or Pierce.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rox>Mavs

I think it all depends on if DM is simply looking to tweak and fill a few gaps or if he's still angling to acquire another major all-star. If it's the latter, I imagine him to still be in the mode like he was in trading away MM and PP which was to acquire assets and upgrade where ever he could. If he was in that mode (and i'm not saying he is) then I think he wouldn't be looking for best fit but what the best asset he could get out there right now that keeps him flexible for an opportunity when it presents itself.

That means he'd trade to the team that would give him the best value for Asik, knowing he might not get 100 pennies on the dollar. If Millsap is the best player available that a team is willing to give, I think he'd do it regardless of how well Jones is doing, knowing that Jones can always be moved back to the bench or be traded to another team that would give back the most value as well. One could make an argument that TJ could go top 6 in the draft, and if that's a strong argument than other GM's would be willing to give value in trade for such a player too.

My point is, even though TJ is playing at such a high level with unrealized potential.....if DM is in asset appreciation mode to land another major star, I don't think he'd hesitate to trade Asik for the BPA even if that player is redundant with someone on our squad since he could trade that player too for another moveable asset (picks).

13. basketballholic

KG and Pierce are the juice to get something else....from the Clippers. Remember they're trying to get to the Clippers. Plus those pick swaps....3 of them....those are very valuable.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

I keep coming back to Millsap. That contract and what he adds to this team just fits too well.

That said, Asik for Millsap isn't getting fair value for a rare commodity like Asik. So how do you coax a 1st out of ATL? I would assume that any combination that does not include Howard, Harden, Parsons, or draft picks would be on the table.

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I keep hearing from some of you guys that T Jones could be traded for picks, etc...

Why on earth would Morey trade a cheap, double-double PF who is only 21 years old? So that he could torment the Rockets for the next 12-14 years playing for another year?

I think we got enough of a sample to say Jones has earned the starting PF spot and deserves to be here.

All we need is a perimeter defender and a realiable backup center and we should be set to contend.

The PF position is no longer an area of concern for us.

16. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Milsap brings nothing to this team except scoring, which we already have.

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Edit team

18. Rox>Mavs

because if we're that high on him, chances are so are other GM's. not saying DM will....but if he's looking to acquire another star I wouldn't say he's untouchable if a deal makes sense. Don't get me wrong.....I'm high on TJ too and I want him on this team. I just think it wouldn't surprise me if he gets moved for an asset that can be easily packaged later if the BPA in trade right now happens to be a PF that can take the starter role from him.

if DM agrees with you and all he's looking to do is fill the gaps then yes I agree with you that's what he'll likely do since the PF can be handled by TJ. I'm just 100% sure all he's looking to do is tweak and fill gaps. He might be making moves to set himself up to be able to make a bigger play for when the opportunity presents itself.

It's basically the same debate on draft night....do you go for BPA or draft based on need. Does DM use Asik to fill need or go for BPA regardless of redundancy and parlay the players to upgrade at a later time?

19. Rox>Mavs

fixed

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I understand that Morey might want to trade when a player's stock is high, but as someone who has doubts irt to Jones before the season, the dude has shown me (and I am sure all of us) a lot.

There might be better 3-point shooter, rebounders, shot blockers out there, but Jones possesses unique skills at the PF position that is truly impressive and needs to be explored and developed. For instances, that block on that 3-point attempt when he two 3 steps from the paint was just filthy. Dream had a similar block on John Starks to seal the deal in the 1994 NBA finals.

Jones is keeper.