1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin out 2 weeks with grade one knee sprain (UPDATE: Will return vs. Portland)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thesonofsam, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Karolik

Karolik Member

Meh, I thought Beverley made progress offensively in the preseason.

He's still a great fit for the starting lineup because of his defense, but i'm starting to doubt whether he really is a "starting PG" like McHale said.

I suspect part of the rationale was not just defense but the organization also projecting more offensive improvement for Beverley, so its a bit disappointing.

2. Chris Jent MVP

Les is not letting Lin go, without something major in return. Deal with it.

Beverley is getting increased playing time to pump up his trade value. I don't know why so many people can't see the obvious.

3. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprise if Lin hits a slump. Doesn't take much to convince mchale. 1-2 bad turnovers is good enough.

4. Chris Jent MVP

The organization LOVES pumping up his value so they can trade a bench player with the value of a "starter". It gives them leverage.

Les wants Lin, that is very obvious, and Morey's advanced metrics show Lin as a very effective player as well. The only issue here is whether Lin is overpaid or not. But Les doesn't care about that.

Dollars to doughnuts, Les will bite the bullet and "overpay" to keep Lin on this team. He won't be traded for anything less than a superstar. Because whether or not you, me, or anyone else considers Lin a star or not, Les does, and that's the bottom line.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Amongst all the negative, the one positive shines thru. Thanks for this.:)

6. Calamity.12

Calamity.12 Member

Part of the reason is that Lin makes turning the ball over such an art. They are always these dramatic, slip on the ground flailing, or flying in the air bad pass type turnovers. The stats show Lin as an impressive player but man when he screws up its really cringe-worthy.

People are not giving Bev his due. It takes a special type of athleticism, body control, and reaction time to harass people the way he does.

7. Chris Jent MVP

He's like a smaller faster Battier. Great trade chip to throw in with Asik for teams wiling to overpay for defensive players.

8. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

I still don't see Beverley shut down and opposite players. He cannot keep his level of defense like he did when he was a bench.

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I think everyone agrees that Beverley is a good on-ball defender?

10. Chris Jent MVP

He makes risky plays trying to get his teammates involved. That's what makes him a great Moreyball player. His success outweighs his fails, opposing teams always have to keep an eye out for him. That's why he's valuable to this team and that's why he's staying.

11. trock

trock Member

The problem is he's actually looking less valuable the more minutes he plays. I mean, most people here believed he was starting PG caliber at the beginning of the season. At this point, I can't see one team where he would compete for the starting spot.

I think he's fine for now as long we're winning, but the argument was that he was supposed to bring elite defense and reliable 3pt shooting. Playing starter minutes, he's not shooting too well and his defense is getting a bit exposed. He can't play as aggressively anymore. He often over pursues the ball handler and gets beat. He rebounds well. He doesn't turn the ball over. He seems like a good chemistry guy.

He's fine for now, but, at this point if we're committed to Lin as the sixth man, PG is the most obvious spot to upgrade on the starting roster.

12. Calamity.12

Calamity.12 Member

Well, I might be misinterpreting comments and having an argument against a straw-man then.

Context for Comments:

Someone said that Bev is a defensive difference maker. A bunch of people argued that no he is not. I would think his talent as an on-ball defender makes him a "difference maker".

13. yummyhawtsauce

I 100% agree with you everything you have said. I also especially hate that when people use the term, lost his starting spot as well. It's quite clear that Lin is having a stellar year, despite starting or on the bench. Regardless of what people may say, or hate on his game etc, Lin will continue to prove his detractors wrong. It's what he experienced his entire life and he will continue to move on and just work hard.

14. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Look at Bev's stats and if you were a GM - would you actually trade for him?

15. Chris Jent MVP

He looks better when Lin plays behind/beside him. Then he can use more energy for defense where it is needed.

Lin is fine with this arrangement, because he knows Les wants him here and his job security is safe, regardless of what the popular opinion is.

16. Chris Jent MVP

He's better than some other PG's. So if I happened to be one of those GM's in need of a PG upgrade, then yes.

But that's besides the point anyway. Nobody will trade for Beverley directly - he will be used as sweetener in an Asik deal.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Is it for sure that Lin returns Thursday?

18. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

I can't see him being an upgrade for any team.

19. linbandwagon

linbandwagon Member

He'll probably be an upgrade over that fat guy in New York.

Not Deron Williams. The other fat guy.

20. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Prigioni is better than fat boy and Bev. Bev's numbers and fat boy's numbers are very similar though, so not a real upgrade.