1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. basketballholic

please stop

2. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

anyone know much about amir johnson?

3. thejav

thejav Member

Spencer Hawes, Thaddeus Young for Asik, Dmo and Canaan

???

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't think Canaan is going anywhere. Dude's tearing up the D-league. He might be another of Morey's steals.

5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

The only things Morey will take back in exchange for Asik are things he might be able to flip to the Wolves for Kevin Love - that's the real goal. He's praying that the Wolves go into a tailspin so he can trade Jones, D-Mo, Lin's contract, and picks for Love.

6. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Oh boy more Kevin Love talk.

7. Raven

Raven Member

I've learned my lesson. At this point, anyone who bets against Morey is a fool. He's got the highest batting average in the league. If he can't get Love, he'll get someone else. It might not happen at the deadline, but it's going to happen eventually. It's why Dwight chose Houston, because he knows we have the Michael Jordan of General Managers. Asik will not be traded for a marginal upgrade. If Morey doesn't think the player will be attractive to other general managers, he'll get a pick instead. So the asset is going to be nice, one way or the other.

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

It's not good for the Bulls, and it assumes the 76ers want to make win now trades.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , this is a pretty simple concept .... Taking in a bigger contract allows you to make take in an even bigger one down the road pending you are able to move that player before the expiration of his deal since the CBA allows even teams over the cap to take back up to 125%+100k of the salary they send out.

Just for illustrative purposes the Rockets move Aisk in the following scenario's -

Asik for Humphries 12m contract they can then move Humphries at the deadline and take back 14.4m. (Luol Deng 14.3m)

Asik for Brandon Bass who's contract is 6.45m they can take back only 7.74m should they move Bass at the deadline.

I doubt they cave and give up both Olynyk and a pick .... If I were Ainge I'd be very reluctant to move Olynyk to begin with .... but I start with my asking price high and adjust from there. Cant get what you don't ask for .... and we know Morey has asked for two first rounders.

I don't really think I over value Motiejunas. He's got a good offensive game with a variety of post moves and runs the court very well for a big .... defensively he's ~average , maybe below average.
    His biggest problem is he has Howard and Asik in front of him here in Houston. He doesn't have a lot of value on this roster unless Asik is moved opening up minutes for him behind Howard.
    He'd be more valuable to a team lacking a post threat ....

Im not so sure Humphries and a late mid round pick are fair compensation which is why I add the swap of D.Mo and Olynyk to the deal.
    DMo has a purpose there as a post threat and Olynyk is the deal sweetener balancing the trade.

I could see Morey settling for Humphries and a lotto protected pick when its all said and done ....

This isn't about any particular player but more about positioning yourself for future moves should they become available. It could be any number of players that would upgrade the roster.

One thing we need to keep in mind is that length of contract also has an impact here. Teams looking to cut long term salary and or create future cap space aren't going to want to take back multi-year deals.
    Nor will Morey want to tie up his cap space in the coming offseason FA with multi year contracts.

Potential trade targets for Asik are likely going to be on one year contracts or with team options beyond this season.

That rules out guy's like Andrew Bynum and his two year deal of 24.79m with Cleveland or Philly's Thaddeus Young who has two years and a player option for a third ranging from 8.6 to 9.7m.

You can likely rule out most teams in the Western conference as well. Just cant see Morey doing a deal with Dallas for Shawn Marion giving that team from South Oklahoma a defensive anchor.

Here's a list of likely options that you could extract a pick + an expiring contract from.

Boston - Humphries (expiring)
    Cleveland - Anderson Varejao (2nd year team option)
    Milwaukee - Caron Butler (expiring)
    Orlando - Hido Turkoglu (expiring) or less likely Jameer Nelson (2nd year team option)
    Philly - Spencer Hawes (expiring) or less likely Evan Turner (expiring / qualifying offer)
    Toronto - Kyle Lowry (Expiring) or Amir Johnson (2nd year team option)

I would add Utah's Richard Jefferson & Andris Biedrins to the list but they don't seem to be a likely destination for Asik as currently constructed.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Philadelphia 76ers receive:

Omer Asik, Ronnie Brewerusing $10,000,000 available cap space

Houston Rockets receive:

The worst of the 76ers' 2 first-round draft picks (its own or New Orleans')

Restrictions:

If both first rounders fall into the Top 6, we get Philly's 2015 first rounder.

If the worst pick falls between #7 and #12, Philadelphia gets NY Knicks' 2014 second rounder from Houston.

Otherwise? No restrictions.

Why would Sam Hinkie do this instead of sending us (an) actual player(s)?

Omer Asik is more of a sure thing as a bedrock starting center than is Nerlens Noel. At least, he is for now.

Instead of sending Hawes to us, Philly can deal Hawes to a team (unfortunately, probably in the WC) and acquire a 2014 mid-to-late (or future) first rounder in the process.

Hell, if Hinkie wanted, he could even deal Nerlens Noel now or later for some other 2014 pick, if they wanted to keep Asik long-term as the starting center.

Why would Daryl Morey do this?

Duh?

Omer Asik needs to go. A shame Kevin Love wasn't available this summer but there you have it. We have Dwight, so Omer....well, you know the rest.

Houston gets $9,500,000 TE and valuable first round pick.

I originally included DMo in the deal, since playing him seems to give McHale a skin rash, and took out the "NY 2nd rounder" bit, replaced with "future draft considerations" but, well, how many permutations can you have of a trade that isn't likely to happen anyway? :)

SECONDARY TRADE

Houston Rockets receive:

Da Chuck Wagon Hayes

Toronto Raptors receive:

We don't care, just take his salary so we have the extra $5,000,000 in summer 2014 cap space.

#1990 ROXTXIA, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  11. basketballholic

^^^^^

$8.3 TPE and $1.186 TPE

12. Remii

Remii Member

I think Asik is valuable enough that Morey can get either Hawes or Wroten and New Orleans 1st round pick (with no restrictions).

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No GM in his right mind is going to give up a totally unprotected pick especially when its highly likely his team will be in the lottery.

Now if you said top 3 protected .... that would change things considering they are slotted in the middle of the round currently.

14. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

how about
    rockets in - Brandon Knight, Cody Zeller, and Ben Gordon
    Milwaukee in - JLin & Dmo
    Charlotte in - Asik & Ilyasova
    Of course there would be some picks moved around but IMO this solidifies PG for at least this year and next (also brings BK and TJ back together), Back up C for the next four years And gives the rockets a 13.2 million dollar expiring contract.
    Charlotte does it to solidify their frontcourt for a few years and Milwaukee could snag a draft pick or two along with a couple nice young players while getting rid of a player who is largely ineffective for them, Ilyasova (I say that bc in wins he puts up crappy stats and in loses he goes off, idk what the reason is bc I don't watch bucks games)

1 person likes this.
  15. supa

supa Contributing Member

Houston trades Omer Asik and Ronnie Brewer to Toronto

Toronto trades Jonas Valanciunas and Landry Fields to Houston.

We get a young promising big and they get an established big. Toronto has a large Turkish population, meaning he would probably resign with them for sure.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

[​IMG]
    + Suns send us a top 3 protected draft pick

Gogi starts in place of Bev, our defense improves, and McHale rejoices to have his boy back
    Okafor is an ideal backup center behind Dwight and signs for the MLE in the offseason
    And we get a great trade asset

The Suns get the lockdown defensive center that they desperately need, a good replacement for Dragic with greater offensive potential, and another big with potential.

17. basketballholic

mmmmmmmmmmmmm,

very interesting

and

definitely tweakable.

good job mate.

18. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

Although I would love to have Melo, I just don't see where the defense is going to come from. In addition to that we would have the same problem with Dwight and Melo floor spacing as NYK has with Melo and Stat.

Dwight may be listed as a center, but plays in spots of the PF. No post up move, and needs room to operate. Melo occupy much of the same space with a bit extended. I don't like this trade the more I think about it.

19. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

How about vazquez,Thompson and a first rounder for Asik and Beverly?

20. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Appreciate it, that actually means something coming from you.