1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Taking a look at Omer Asik Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 19, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And why do you think fans think that? Might be because the team owner and GM have pretty came out and said so themselves. They consider him the glue to their team both on and off the court, and they like that he's versatile enough to fit in any lineup they have.

Some might say it's just them pumping up his value for a trade, but I don't they see any reason right now to do such a thing... He doesn't need their help in the first. It's obvious to me that they will do anything they can to keep Parsons out of trade talks. Doesn't mean they would never trade him, but in a deal like this.... No way. Also they have assets to supplement the need to throw him in the deal now anyways. They have all of their 1st rounders to offer as a supplement.

2. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

That's nice,Asik is still a game changer, The Rockets were a top 10 defense with him last year and like 2nd worst with him. We went from the best rebounding team to below average with him on the bench.

He's arguably as valuable as James Harden just on the end of the floor. He had the 5th best RAPM in the league last year for defense (plus/minus).

He's actually got really good feet and lateral quickness.

Sigh can't believe how quickly people forgot what this dude did for us last year.

3. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Fixed .

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets will clearly try to get 1st round picks for Asik / Lin. Might not get 2014 picks, could be 2015 picks. But those are liquid assets that can be used with TJones for an attractive trade package for Kevin Love, as previously mentioned.

5. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

WE ARE NOT GETTING KEVIN LOVE!

My goodness stop with the crazy trade ideas for Love. T.Jones/2 1rd picks is not getting you Kevin Love. Off the top of my head I can name 5 teams who would have way better offers than us.

1. Detroit
    Monroe/1rd lottery pick for Love

2. Clippers
    Griffin for Love

3. Orlando
    Olidipo/Harkless/1rd lottery pick

4. Cleveland
    Thompson/Waiters/Varejao/1rd for Love

5. Portland
    Aldridge/1rd for Love

I can name more but you get my point?

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Deuce is a well respected poster here. Maybe you should watch your tone. You are entitled to your opinions, but so is everyone else, so remember that. Maybe if you showed a little more respect you wouldn't be a rookie.

7. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

We don't have the best offer for Tmac in Yao era, but we got him because he wanted to play with Yao...

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

OK. I will say it for him. Unless the Rockets are willing to give up Howard or Harden, they will never ever get Love. At least until the summer of 2015, when he becomes a free agent.

9. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I think the plan is to get him or Aldridge in the summer of 2015. The stars are aligned for it. Once we see Omer get traded we will really see if this is Morey's plan. I expect that we don't take on any salary past 2014. For this reason I see the Asik for Millsap trade as almost inevitable.

10. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

How is that? Haven't you noticed what's going on in POR lately? Slim chance of us getting LMA now. They're playing to their potential and will only get better with even more chemistry and experience.

Milsap is feasible.

11. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

We said the same thing about Howard when we had our mediocre team but couple years later we got him. So you never know

12. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

Can haz Korver plz?

[​IMG]

13. seeingred

seeingred Member

if Love won't re-sign with them, those teams won't offer as much. And how many of those teams would he re-sign with, given who is leaving in those suggested trades ? It's the same situation Howard was in with Orlando - they didn't get a massive haul for him because Howard wouldn't answer whether or not he would re-sign with the team he was traded to.

So of the teams that could:

1) send out quality assets for Love
    2) keep enough talent on the roster to convince Love to re-sign

i think we're on the short list.

14. rogower

rogower Member

I was going to make this same point, so obviously I agree with you. Houston is on the short list. I think Houston might have to toss in Chandler Parsons. Parsons + Terrence Jones + the first round picks obtained for Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin + Houston's own first round pick + Donatas Motiejunas + Isaiah Canaan + the expiring contracts obtained in the Asik and Lin deals. That would be Minnesota's asking price, and I don't think you should haggle much when somebody is offering you a superduperstar.

Minnesota will get a ton for Love, who is no worse than the fourth best player in the league. I'd put him behind Lebron, Chris Paul, and maybe Kevin Durant.

15. Chamillionaire

Paul George?

16. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I don't suggest that we would get lma via trade. It's more likely to be via free agency.

The point I'm making is that with the current contracts and free agent market in 2015 the Rockets could very well be in the market for Love or Aldridge.

Yes Aldridge may consider staying in Portland long term but forming a super team vs playing for what maybe a potential contender may sway his decision. While Portland is hot right now that is not to say they will have any playoff success. At least the Rockets have 2 players that have been to the finals...

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Durability is a huge issue for Love. Otherwise, in a vacuum Steph Curry would have similar value. Don't think that Morey doesn't care about durability either, having gone through an entire Yao-McGrady era wasted because of it.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah sure you never know but if you can expand your targets regardless of position you can get an allstar more easily.

Love has the option to go anywhere he wants in free agency.
    Before that Minnesota can demand a lot for him.

It is not just how good of a GM Morey is it is more about what Minny wants.

19. clippy

clippy Member

Love only signed his contract last year. The reports that he wants out are speculative at best. If he is traded, it won't be until the offseason at the earliest.

20. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん