1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. basketballholic

We want draft picks and Bynum.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

You'll have to wait for Bynum to get re-injured then, most likely.

3. rogower

rogower Member

I agree that Cleveand would be an obvious trade partner with Houston here (Asik for Varejao + a first round pick) if Andrew Bynum wasn't playing so well right now. But Bynum IS playing well right now. And Houston isn't going to sit around and wait until he gets hurt again (which WILL happen) because Asik needs to be gone by 12/19.

Houston has zero interest in trading for Larry Sanders. He's a tremendous player, but he's pretty expensive... and were some of you guys not paying attention when the twin towers lineup failed?

The insufferable Marc Stein is reporting that Philly may be emerging as an Asik suitor. I suspect Sam Hinkie has made something of a lowball offer for Asik, and has probably mentioned a number of options involving Spencer Hawes, Evan Turner, and Thaddeus Young to Morey. But I don't see Philly coughing up a first round pick here, and I think there is at least one team out there that will.

What may happen, however, is Philly emerging as a third wheel. In this scenario, Asik goes to Philly, either Evan Turner or Thaddeus Young goes to mystery team, and mystery team ships an expiring contract and a first round pick to Houston. For Rockets fans, it doesn't really matter if this winds up being a two- or a three-team deal, since Houston still winds up with that same package (expiring contract + first round pick).

Oh, I should say that a straight up Asik-for-Spencer Hawes trade shouldn't be ruled out. Hawes can play alongside either Dwight Howard or Terrence Jones (or Omri Casspi). The first round pick is a more marketable asset than Hawes, which is why Morey prefers the pick, but if there really isn't a team willing to give up a first round pick, then Hawes makes sense.

IMO, Boston has replaced Portland as the most likely trade partner. Boston wins that division with Asik and a healthy Rajon Rondo.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Philly has multiple first round picks in the upcoming draft. They have theirs and they have New Orleans pick. Morey might have his eyes on New Orleans pick and Hawes.

5. basketballholic

Atlanta - Millsap and 2 pick swaps

Boston - KHump and 2 picks or pick swaps

Cleveland - Bynum and 2 picks or pick swaps

I think these are the most ideal candidates for Asik. They all need a primary 5. Combined one of these type deals with Lin going to Milwaukee, DMo to Philly and Sova and Hawes coming back here. You wind up with Asik/Lin/DMo out and Hawes/Sova/expiring contract or Millsap in plus a couple pick swaps. Then Morey can make a play for Love (or possibly Melo) in February.

6. rogower

rogower Member

I don't see Philly doing that one. Obviously that would be a great haul. I think Philly is just exploring options here, either to get involved as a third wheel or to get Asik on a lowball offer, and no lowball offer includes that Pelicans first rounder.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yep, that seems likely.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

+1 to Rogower's analysis!

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree , Boston makes a lot of sense for Houston. Ive mentioned this a couple times but everyone seems stuck on Rondo , Millsap , Granger or one of the forgetaboutits in Love and Aldridge.

They can take back an expiring contract in Humphries who's contract is larger than Asik's which would allow them to take back an even larger salary should they flip Humphries at the deadline (Pending the deal is done before the 19th).

Boston also has a couple #1 picks in the next draft and a valuable trade asset in Olynyk who I think would be a great fit here.

I'd start out asking for Humphries , Olynyk and a first rounder. You could also substitute Brandon Bass in place of Humphries but he's got an extra year and a smaller dollar figure attached to him.

Olynyk is the real prize in this deal.

Asik and Motiejunas for One of Humphries / Bass & Olynyk +/- pick.

The money works , Morey gets his asking price of two first rounders for Asik (Olynyk & a pick) along with an expiring contract to work with later as well as a replacement for Asik's minutes behind Howard.

Boston gets a defensive anchor and top flight rebounder and pretty much guarantee's themselves a division championship and a trip to the playoffs while shedding salary .... Not to mention getting D.Mo who is a highly skilled post player who just doesn't fit here.

10. wadero

wadero Member

I say it going to be Philly. Probably Turner, and Mout the PF

11. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

what do you guys think of Monroe. his post scoring might be the final piece to our puzzle and he can slide into center when dwight is on the bench.

but they probably want alot for him

12. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Yeah I said this like 2 weeks ago. Sounds great but unless you are willing to trade Parsons, we probably have no chance at Greg Monroe.

So are you willing to trade Parsons for Monroe?

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He can't shoot and he's not good defensively. Not the best fit for this team.

Obviously if he was cheap, it would still be a big boost. But that won't happen.

14. Haharocket

Haharocket Member

How come I can't reply to other people post? Anyway I think that whoever get asik could also trade him at the trade deadline in feb. so it possible that phil and Boston to do that to get more pick when other playoff team are desperate.

1 person likes this.
  15. rogower

rogower Member

Thanks!

16. rogower

rogower Member

I think you're the guy who suggested Kris Humpries relatively large expiring contract was more useful to Houston than Keith Bogans' much smaller expiring contract a couple of weeks ago. I initially disagreed with you but I now see that you are correct.

I do not see Boston giving up Kelly Olynyk AND a first round pick. I think Boston gives up one but not both. I also do not think Boston is especially interested in Donatas Motiejunas. Motiejunas is a guy who you toss into the Asik trade or a separate trade as "sweetener." But that's all Motiejunas is at this point. I'll be very surprised if he ever turns into a good rotation player and expect him to be back in Europe within three years. Fans consistently overvalue their own players, and are consistently the last guys to give up on a "prospect."

My revised prediction:

Omer Asik to Boston;
    Kris Humphries and the Celtics' 2014 first round pick (lottery protected) to Houston

I am projecting this pick to be around #18 overall. Not the best haul for Houston but still, this pick has value. And didn't Terrence Jones go #18 overall?

17. tarzanman

tarzanman Member

Greivis Vasquez just got traded to Toronto.

Toronto maybe looking to move Kyle Lowry and his expiring contract — worth about $6 million — between now and February’s trade deadline.

18. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

I'm down if he pushes us to the next level, which i think he will.

Monroe+Kyle Singler for Chandler Parsons+Francisco Garcia?

but we would still have Asik, guess we could trade him for a SF

19. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Just for the fun of it.

Rox - Hawes/Turner/Butler
    Bulls - Lin/Young/Garcia
    76ers - Deng/Asik/Casspi

Order of reason.

More playing time for AB0.
    No more LOF/LOH threads.
    More perimeter defense as well as having a LBJ/KD stopper.
    Less pressure on Harden and Parsons playing major minutes.
    And finally, to see Morey low ball Parsons, Hawes and Evans in the coming off season.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

There was buzz in the offseason that the Raptors were going to assess after 25 games or so and either try to compete or just blow it up. It looks like the latter which likely means anyone on the roster is available likely for cheap. Lowry, DeRozan, and Amir Johnson might be Morey targets.