1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Official] Texans @ Jaguars Thurday Night

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 4, 2013.

1. sabesque

sabesque Member

Full disclosure: I'm a UH grad, Keenum fan and I want him to be successful.

Dude is an undrafted practice squad player, playing his first year for a team that's in the tank for a coach that is clearly loyal to Schaub.

While I do agree that his body of work shows that he's not where he needs to be as a starting QB, I also think its too early to define what he is/will be in this league.

Bad Coaching. Deficient O-Line. No Running Game. Only one true WR option. Backup TE. Weird locker room. Dude's in a bad situation.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

So did I. Don't get me wrong - I really like Wade but his history is what it is. When he coached the Cows, it was a match made in heaven for Jerrel Jones. He had the ideal head coach in Wade who faded into the background so Jerrel could bask in the warm glow of his ego. They were rocking and rolling in 2009-2010 when he won his first playoff game (and the Cows first in 12 years). But by Nov of 2010, he was out on the street as the Cows had completely crashed and burned. What bothered me the most was that the Cows defense completely quit on Wade.

That was my greatest concern when he was hired here. Over time teams just seem to get the book on his defenses and it grows less and less effective. I recall that in Dallas, the Giants would call out their defensive schemes after watching them line up. Now, it appears that history is repeating itself with Wade and that is most unfortunate for the Texans who find themselves in the midst of a perfect storm of misfortune.

3. SuraGotMadHops

Coaching...coaching...coaching.

4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

C'mon, now. He just means he prepares and handles his business off the field like a real pro. Kubiak knows Schaub hasn't played up to the level they need him to play this year. This is a nothing quote... there's plenty of meat on the bone to pick on elsewhere.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, it starts with me. I gotta do a better job.

14 penalties, am I right John(?), that's unacceptable. We gotta get it cleaned up. Not winning in this league with 14 penalties for 177 yards.

6. desihooper

Supporting Member

But we battled, the kids didn't give up. Got down there with a chance at the end to win the game, and we just didn't get it done.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Did not play very good and disappointed in that. We're going to have to be a lot better. I feel the same the way about the game. As far as the big picture, that hasn’t changed. I know we’re struggling. I know it’s tough. We've got to be strong and keep going.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Me too, but for Graham.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Same here...The penelties were killer and whether Case is ready or not, you have to let him complete a game...Shcaub showed glimpses but in the end, he missed a wide open AJ and threw the INT like we're use to. 11 straight is ridiculous and Kubes has to be on his way out...

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per Elias Sports Bureau, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> set an NFL record with 7 straight losses by 7 or fewer points last night.</p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/statuses/408986254815281152">December 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. desihooper

Supporting Member

Care of @PatDStat

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Andre is open. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> <a href="http://t.co/ljX56VbcWm">pic.twitter.com/ljX56VbcWm</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/statuses/408815671611379712">December 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

While I mostly agree with you, I find the standard people are holding Keenum to is unfair.

Imagine Keenum was a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round draft choice. Would people be so ready to close the book on him? I kind of doubt it.

He's playing in a very tough situation with the crappiest team we've had in years led by a lame duck coach.

I think he's earned the right to remain on the team and compete for the job next year. That's all you can ask of him, really.

While Case's trajectory has been downward, so has the entire team. You can't look at his overall numbers and compare them to most 1st year QBs and say "time to move on".

He deserves a chance to play with a healthy team, under a coach that can design a scheme to play to his strengths. Once he gets that opportunity and can't win the job or retain it, I'll be happy to move on.

1 person likes this.
  13. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Absolutely. I'm not saying he is great or anything but it takes years to develop QBs in this league. He would be given so much more slack if he was drafted. I'm just sick of Kubes switching out QBs because it just kills confidence of either one.

14. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

He's 0-7. That's 7 games with Andre Johnson to throw to. 95% of all nonhyped quarterbacks, drafted or undrafted, would kill for that.

He's not the answer... I get you're a fan from the UH days, but it's just not going to happen.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

lol. I took this same shot on my phone and send it to my friend yest. Everyone can see andre was open..except Schaub.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

look at the left guard and center getting owned by 1 rusher. that's why schaub didn't see andre, he's looking at the 300 lb'er coming right up the middle.

a good qb sees it and slides then hits andre in stride.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

To put this into perspective...

Here's Matt Schaub's first 7 starts (after 3 years of actual grooming as a 2nd stringer):

TEAM W/L QBR

vs KC (4-12) 101.5
    @ CAR (7-9) 119.2
    vs IND (13-3) 81.3
    @ ATL (4-12) 101.8
    vs MIA (1-15) 74.9
    @ JAX (11-5) 74.5
    vs TEN (10-6) 60.9 (he got hurt and left this game so I'll include game 8 for completeness sake)
    @ SD (11-5) 31.3

Average QBR = 80.6

This is arguably a worse start to a career than Case Keenum has had. Were you ready to give up on Schaub after less than half a season in 2007?

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

absolutely agree with this. if instead of UDFA it said 2nd rd pick no one would be ready to close the book on him this quickly given the flashes he has shown.

he has definitely regressed but he is in quite literally the single worst position a new qb can be in - trainwreck of a season, terrible oline, missing 2 of his top 3 offensive weapons with an outclassed coach and a locker room in total upheaval.

the things he needs to improve on are very coachable - progressions, reading the defense, etc. at the very least he deserves a shot with a real coach and a real offensive scheme. he may prove to be nothing more than a career backup but he deserves a fair shot.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Im predicting the offense to open up and case going off to end the season but probably wont translate into wins considering the defense. This offense may now be the equivalent of backyard football where anything goes and Case can scramble and make things happen. Could be exciting.

20. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

Are you a wizard!?!