1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How does rebate work?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

During Black Friday, I purchased a laptop from TigerDirect that is scheduled to be delivered to me sometime tomorrow.

In the online ad from TD's website, it mentioned I would receive $50 in rebate. The thing is, I've never purchased anything online that dealed with rebate. I understand I may receive it in the form of a rewards card, or perhaps even a check.

About 10 minutes ago, I received a local call from some fishy-sounding Indian guy who asked for my name, and then said a recent purchase made me qualified for $100 voucher to 'over 70,000 stores nation wide' and all I had to do was pay a $4.95 shipping charge.

Of course, because it sounded so fishy, I denied.

Was this from TigerDirect trying to give me rebate that I'm owed for my recent purchase? The guy said $100 voucher when I am only owed $50. If not, how exactly do I get the $50 rebate from TD? Should I give them a call, or what?

2. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

The $100 thing sounds like a scam. I would find out if the rebate is from TigerDirect OR the manufacturer of the laptop. Then go from there, if its from Tiger, search their website for a rebate form or contact customer service. If its a manufacturer then go to their website and search.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

That call was almost definitely not about the rebate. No company will go out of their way to give you money. In fact rebates exists specifically because people are relatively unlikely to actually cash them in.

Check the product's webpage on Tiger Direct and see if it still mentions the rebate. There should be a link to a document detailing any forms to be filled out or other instructions. If you can't find the link, talk to Tiger Direct customer service.

If you post the link to product, I'm sure one of us will help you out.

4. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Usually rebates are just forms you fill out, mail them with a copy of the reciept to the manufacturer, and eventually they mail you a check back for what you are owed. I agree with the others that it is extermely unlikely that any company would call you about a rebate, and chances are high that it was a scammer of some sort.

5. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

No, that is not from Tiger direct. They don't call for rebates, lol. Tiger direct will have a rebate form you can get from their website which they give link to upon checkout if I remember correctly or you can search and download it from their website or manufacturer's website.

6. Defy9

Defy9 Member

$100 thing would be scam,

Usually after you buy the product, you get a card or something with the receipt and serial number, then you just go on the website and apply for the rebate

7. ILoveWhiteGirls

From wiki:

A rebate is an amount paid by way of reduction, return, or refund on what has already been paid or contributed. It is a type of sales promotion that marketers use ...