1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Taking a look at Omer Asik Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 19, 2013.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

As Zach Lowe noted - It makes Atlanta the 3rd best team in the East by default - and possibly more likely to pair Asik with Horford?

2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Noah is rare enough and young enough to not risk trading for unproven talent

You could draft 3 years in a row in top ten and not get a center like him

Deng and boozer should be gone though

It might be hard for rockets to turn down boozer and deng for asik and Lin

Not sure if bringing in another team would make that even remotely possible under the cap but obviously won't work as is

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

In my excitement at the prospect of getting Deng and Milsap I neglected that pesky salary trade matching. But you could finagle some type of three way trade. Point is I bet there's an opportunity here to get more than one impact player.

4. DJSlik

DJSlik Rookie

DRose is trashed. He's never going to be the same. His career is goin the way of Grant Hill's if that. His one knee is like RG3's--multiple ligament recon--and now his other knee has a medial meniscal repair. Forget it. Chicago needs a point guard as part of their rebuilding process. DRose will never be the same. Omer AND Jeremy to Chicago is a possibility.

5. megastahr

Yah I just tried it ... No way rockets can come up with salary with Lin and asik

They need at least a 4 mil player

Maybe if they sign someone with the room exception

And include both dmo and brewer

But even then I am not sure

6. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

You're never going to be able to trade for both Deng and Boozer. Together they make almost 30 million. I don't care how many teams get in on it, that's a lot of money to make work. Others have pointed out getting Noah, but unless he forces his way out, I don't see them trading him. Obviously, if they are willing to do that, you jump on that before they realize what they've done.

However, the rumor is that they will use the amnesty clause on Boozer since he makes 15mil this year and 16 next year, in which case he could be signed outright for the mid level. Deng is an expiring that they haven't shown interest in resigning or giving a contract extension. If they amnesty Boozer, then Noah could move to the power forward spot and they could have Asik as the starting center in a trade for Deng. Yet, you would have another issue like Asik with Parsons. Deng is a 6-9 small forward, Parsons is a 6-9 small forward, both are starters, both have good playmaking skills, I have a hard time seeing either as coming off the bench. I have a hard time seeing that trade, but you never know.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Quite possibly.

Atlanta showed willingness to take on Asik last year; we turned down Asik + Parsons for Josh Smith (thankfully).

If we acquired Millsap, he'd obviously be our starting 4. With Terrence Jones emerging, I hate to screw up a good thing by packaging him in a trade. Or would he be relegated to backup minutes?

Granted, if we asked for the draft rights to Lucas Nogueira, it'd give us a backup 5, albeit not this season.

Atlanta seems like too obvious a fit. We'd be better with Millsap but I don't want to watch Terrence Jones beasting elsewhere in a year or two.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Rockets play 11 more games between tonight and December 15th (when Milsap can be traded). 17 games (the 11 plus the 6 he already started) does not a starter make...

HOWEVER, if Terrence is continuing to play well as a starter, with some better upcoming big man competition, shooting above 50%, shooting decent enough from three (doesn't have to be his 54% number as a starter right now, but hasn't trended down into the low 30's...) is grabbing 7.5+ boards a night, AND doesn't look lost defensively...

THEN I think DM will have a much better grasp on what the team absolutely needs to get and the value in what he's trading. Cause obviously those numbers are BETTER than what Millsap is doing anyway. If the Twolves continue to freefall and get serious about entertaining a Love offer, then maybe with Asik, a Millsap level young PF like Jones, Lin, DMo, picks, you could work up some kind of three team deal.

TWolves get: Jones, DMo, pick from Rockets, pick from third team
    Rockets get: Love
    Third team gets: Asik

I don't know who that third team is. Maybe the Nuggets. Looks like they have the Knicks first round pick this year (unprotected I think, but maybe not tradeable since the nuggets owe one of their picks to the Magic, but). But that is so so so so unlikely.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The timberwolves are not about to trade love.

Unless he goes to them and asks for a trade they are going to try to re-sign him. They aren't just giving up on him.

10. loveofthegame44

Just reported on comcast sports net that Rockets are in talks with trailblazers trading omer

11. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Love is a superstar, your not going to get him for a bag of chips. The only way we're getting him is a package that includes one of Harden or DHO.

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

It seems like we're gonna get Lopez but i have a feeling Morey got a trade ready hes just waiting for the right time.

13. vbpepper

vbpepper Contributing Member

www.latinopost.com

Portland and Dallas working on deals for Asik. Portland said to be offering Robin Lopez, but don't have the stretch 4 that Rockets need.
    Dallas said to be offering rookie Shane Larkin and veteran Shawn Marion. Rockets have declined supposedly.

"Both of these are recycling garbage.

Mitch Lawrence said the Portland one. The Dallas one (nonsense) is from Bill the Rocket Guy."

Clutch

14. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Asik for Ilyasova was what their agent was pushing. Looks like Morey didn't like it unless he is waiting for the December 15th deadline for free agents to be released.

I think Morey might be looking at a back-up Center / PF and a possible high first round pick in this year's draft.

15. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Dear god Lopez for Asik? Larkin and Dinasour Marion? these are some bad offers.

16. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

I rather have Shumpert than Lopez.

Just sayin...

17. megastahr

Bima begs to differ

@BimaThug: @megastahr It's possible if broken into separate trades. Trade 1: Asik/filler for Deng. Trade 2: Lin/filler for Boozer. No thanks on Boozer.

I personally would do this add boozer and deng and we could win this year

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

3-way deal. Asik to somewhere, Gibson to Houston. Git it done Morey!

The problem is that "filler" here has to be our youngsters, because we literally have no crappy contracts to fill in.

For Boozer, we'll need $2mil of filler salary.
    For Deng, we'll need $1.22mil of filler salary

Looking at our salaries, I feel the minimum outgoing talent necessary would be something like Brewer, Casspi or Greg Smith, and Garcia or DMo. Funnily enough, if we had kept Camby he'd be the perfect salary filler instead of needing DMo/Garcia.

I wouldn't be totally against it, but Boozer seems like a horrible fit to me.

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Was this verified?

20. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

So if we make that Chicago trade we are left with this lineup...

Bev
    Harden
    Deng
    Boozer
    D12

Parsons 6th man

Is that a contender?