1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we draft a QB in the first round?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Nov 10, 2013.

?

Should we draft a QB in the first round?

1. Yes

111 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. No

46 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You don't need studs... but you can't have duds either.

Scheme, technique, line cohesiveness, and having a QB that gets the ball out quickly are just as important as the overall talent level of a lineman.

2. Raven

Raven Member

3. herro

herro Member

The Chiefs have the right formula. If we draft a first round QB in this draft he will be a big ? on a team full of holes.

4. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Draft Jadevon Cloney. Imagine him opposite side of Watt. We can get a QB & OL in the later rds.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I am in favor of Clowney at this point, as well. Championships are won on defense. Keenum will look much better with Foster, Daniels and some O-line help.

We could have a big bounce back year next year with Foster, Daniels, Cushing back.

6. Raven

Raven Member

And what if all the good QBs are taken by the second round?

7. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Then draft BPA and roll with Keenum for another year. No use drafting another Schaub.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Who are all the good QBs?

9. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

QB is obviously the most important need for any team. You can win without a great QB, but you will never be a dynasty without one, you will never have constant success or be a constant threat. Look at Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning. These guys always have their teams competing for championships every year, while teams with mediocre QB's like us seemingly strike and then disappear.

10. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Ironic since neither Brady or Brees were 1st round draft picks.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yep,look at the colts run game and o-line and wr corps. As mentioned,Luck ain't lighting the nfl up,but they made the playoffs with a 2 win team and were upside dow in pts. This year,despite their holes and injuries,yet they will win 11 games or so and the division. You take luck out the equation and put schaub in there,they're a 4 win football team. You put luck on this team,they have 7 wins at least. Teddy Bridgewater is the truth and way more talented than keenum. He can throw breaking routes outside,he has great poise and is mobile,but not a run around guy. The qb is the single most important position in all sports.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This entirely.

If whoever is evaluating for the Texans isn't sold on Bridgewater or Mariotta (or someone else I guess) then fine. I think they are wrong, but oh well. If it's simply making a "value" decision to draft someone else at the top and get a QB later that you believe can a solid QB?

Big mistake. If you believe one of those guys is a franchise QB you take him. That simple. It's too difficult of a position to find a franchise player and it's an opportunity that you rarely get and that you pay a HUGE price for during the season.

If you take Clowney and then next year you bounce back without Schaub to 9-7 but Keenum isn't THE man, now you are in a constant desperate search for a diamond in the rough to turn into a franchise player. You won't have another opportunity to have your pick of the litter.

13. Major

Major Member

Are you aiming for a 6-7 year rebuilding process? The Chiefs had one winning season in the last 6 - they had 4 wins or fewer in four of those seasons. So yeah, if you want to keep sucking but stockpiling talent until 2020 when you fire the next coach, then that's a good route to go, I guess?

And even then, the Chiefs big hole now is Alex Smith. He's likely going to be the piece of the puzzle that ultimately holds them back (and a lack of a true #1 receiver). And there's no real way to fix that because they'll never pick high enough to get a franchise QB.

14. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

lol singlehandley smh... so when he loses games he needs help, we the colts win... it was all him haha

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Taking a QB really high can be overrated

Roethlisberger was a mid 1st Rounder
    Flacco was a mid 1st Rounder
    Rodgers was a late 1st Rounder
    Brees was a 2nd Rounder, and subsequently a FA
    Kaepernick was a 2nd Rounder
    Wilson was a 3rd Rounder
    Brady was famously a 6th Rounder
    Romo was undrafted
    Manning was technically a FA signing

It's a fallacy that you have to draft a QB top 5 to compete for a SB.

If the Texans do get a top 3 pick, I would look to trade back to the middle of the 1st and stockpile picks, and still look to take a QB. I honestly think most of the QB prospects this year are great college players that might struggle to translate.

1 person likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I agree 100%. In the modern NFL an elite QB is 10x as important than elite players at other positions. If the Texans feel Bridgewater or Mariotta or Manziel is special, then they better draft that player, PERIOD.

If the Texans feel that Bridgewater, Mariota and Manziel are only "okay" and they see an elite tackle, then I can understand that.

What I cannot tolerate is, "Well we think Bridgewater is the best QB, and we think he will be elite, but Case is okay, and we can really use a linebacker."

17. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that anyone thinks that you cannot get a very good or great QB outside the top of the draft, but it the Texans believe that Bridgewater is going to be special, then they need to take him regardless of "need".

If you get an elite QB you can fill holes fairly easily. Having a true elite QB gives you a larger margin for error.

18. Major

Major Member

Perfectly stated.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I think in this era of the NFL, the most important position on the team is the offensive coordinator... the difference between the "elite" QBs and the "good" ones is becoming smaller and smaller... the rules have allowed for this to happen. If you have an OC who knows how to take advantage of the new NFL, you can turn a merely passable QB into a great one. Look how many guys with 100+ attempts this year have been absolutely killing it. Drafting a QB that is willing to put in the work and has the tools is one thing, but I won't be celebrating until I'm confident we have the right OC in place to utilize him.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What are the examples of passable QBs turned into great ones by a good OC?