1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard: Shots Fired at coaching - minutes management

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 23, 2013.

1. kakaman

kakaman Member

Howard sounding like a LOF. Good riddance, hopefully he leaves and takes all the LOF with him.

2. valorita

valorita Member

A player speaks his mind and is honest about our team's shortcomings and he gets hate???
    It's not like he said anything that is not true.
    I for one am glad that the players at least understand the issues at hand, because then we can address them.

1 person likes this.
  3. torocan

torocan Member

My apologies.

I'm just getting a little irritated that both sides are using games where players are clearly being misused/overused (both the Philly and Dallas games) to score personal points against Harden, Lin, Beverley, Parsons, etc.

The Reserves put MORE than enough points on the board to win the Philly game. The Starters put MORE than enough points on the board to win the Dallas game. McHale however didn't make the necessary adjustments to keep us in the game until the end.

Even the Toronto game was filled with coaching errors. Double over-time that McHale was actually going to sub Lin out when he was the only player hitting a shot, and was only put back in because Parsons fouled out. Yet if it wasn't for Lin's buckets in the closing minutes we would have lost. Which might never even have been an issue except for the Coaches' refusal to foul on the in bounds.

I put both of those losses fully on the shoulder of McHale. Yes, the Starters lost the Dallas game in the 4th quarter, and the team minus Harden lost the Philly game, however we never should have gotten to that point.

The TEAM got them to 10+ leads with a handful of minutes to go in all 3 games. If you lose those games sometimes it's the players, sometimes it's the coach. In all of those cases it was the Coaching decisions.

It's easy to blame the players (or particular players in some instances), but in reality a coach isn't supposed to run them off the floor. It's hard to NOT put a considerable amount of blame on the coaches when we've seen the minutes go Sky High on Harden and Parsons (last game Beverley played 37 minutes of regulation!), and Lin's minutes bounce all over the place.

And then our 2nd best Center gets virtually no burn on the 2nd unit for much of the last 2 weeks, despite his playing well prior to his going postal.

We've run into the Zone and Hybrid zones multiple times, yet I see no offensive adjustments. We get burned multiple times by ISO play in the final 4 or even 6+ minutes of the 4th quarter, yet all we hear is platitudes about the ball being "sticky".

Dwight is doing the right thing. If the Coaches aren't stepping up and taking control, then the Players need to do so.

It's feeling more and more like Deja Vu... this should sound pretty darn familiar.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/ne...need-be-wary-minnesota-wednesday/?partner=RSS

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yeah OP paints Dwight in a bad light, "taking shots" at coaches through the media. Dwight did not do that. OP is tearing Dwight down after he's been here how long? No honeymoon on CF!

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

you can't play harden for48 minutes and ask him to do everything.

as I said many times, harden should stay as sg for 1st 3 qts to save energy

2 solutions, demand bev to do a lot more than receiving inbound pass, crossing mid line, and dumping the ball to harden. or start lin.

7. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

I'm glad to see D12 take a leadership role. Seems like everyone wants to pick at every quote and look for hidden meanings. D12 seems to be direct, say what he thinks. He HAS been to the finals you know. He also has been quoted as saying he likes playing for McHale and learning from him.

The team is not finished gelling yet. Patience...

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

How was this a shot at coaching? Yall are reaching

9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Trugoy is one of the board's worst trolls. He basically took bits an pieces from Dwight Howard's interview (which I should note that J.R. transcribed in another thread where most people were agreeing with Dwight) and framed it to make him out as a bad guy, and you all are eating it up. Look at his last thread. He was trolling there, too. Clutch should ban this guy.

10. RocketPowerNick

So you'd want Howard (and Lin) to leave just to please Harden. PLEASE you ridiculous troll. :mad:

11. Stats

Stats Member

Are we sure McHale isn't in the hot seat right now? Typically coaches in the hot seat run their best players into the ground. See Mike D'Antoni.

12. bws

bws Member

That post is absurd but I think Howard is a fan of Lin and wants him to be trusted and utilized more in the team.

13. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

While I don't disagree with Howard's sentiments I don't like that he went to the media with this. Why not just keep it in house?

14. rokit

rokit Member

D12 to Sacramento trade coming?

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Good comments by Dwight. Calm down. Don't panic. It is a long season and McHale has it basically right. As long as the team keeps improving things are going fine.

16. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Quote makes perfect sense, you can't play 90% intensity and win in the NBA, there a guy on bench that'll put in 110% and the coach should sit your ass down. Harden isn't trying on D to begin with but he may also be getting tired, and the message needs to be sent that if your not playing defense your not playing period. Its a slap in the face to every other guy on the team.

17. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Its true that maybe he shouldn't have gone public with those statements, but someones gotta call the team out on it, I'd rather err on the side of being critical right now

18. New Generation

You really see the true thought process of a lot of posters in this thread...

I actually really enjoy hearing this from Dwight. He's one of the veterans of the league and has truth to what he says. People always think of him as a goof or a drama queen, but when it comes down to it, he's one of the smartest players on the team.

19. Remii

Remii Member

The Players are still young. The coaching staff is young in experience. Can't plant a seed and expect it to grow over night. We just have to be patient. Long season. Teams lose games and sometimes they just look bad doing it. These guys are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory so it's not like they are in no win situations. At first they would start off slow _ now they are ending slow. Plenty time to fix it and hopefully they will even if they don't do things the way we think they should.

I'm more concerned about Howard getting his post game together because nothing else may matter if he doesn't. This team isn't talented enough and cohesive enough to consistently excute half court offenses when the opposing team starts playing defense like Dallas did. And running a half court offense is one of the hardest things to do with no legitimate post player... And Harden and Lin are the only two players that can consistently generate their own offense when being guarded and help others score in the process _ that's why you see more isolation plays. They should be more worried about defense at this point.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Ironic that you'd insult someone else's comprehension skills using a sentence that barely resembles English. LOL.