1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

From What I Hear....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

But we would have to take less talent in return, in theory, to get a team to take Moochie off our hands. So with the exception of those on this board related to Les, we should be rooting for the Rockets to not try moving the bad contracts.

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

If Miller, brand and Odom re-sign then they are over the cap

3. robbieg

robbieg Member

No one has put it all together yet,so I will. The rockets like to go two deep at every position atleast.Going by everything Doc said,here it goes.

st.pg.=MILLER bk.pg.east.=?cassell?

st.sg.=FRANCIS bk.sg.east.=Jon Barry?

st.sf.=Odom bk.sf.=Boki

st.pf.=?west(brand,swift,zach,troy)bk.pf.?taylor?

st.c.=ming bk.c.?cato

So the veterans would be cassell,barry.
    The "clipper(s)" would be miller,odom like he said.
    The pf from the west could be either a starter or a backup,he didnt say.

We have a MLE,rice,moochie,mobley,griffin,cato,re-signed posey,taylor as our trade bait.

The only questions are,what teams want which trade bait?

My best guess would be:
    rice for cassell,
    MLE on Jon barry,
    s&t posey for swift,
    mobley+griffin for miller+odom.

miller/cassell
    francis/barry
    odom/boki
    taylor/swift
    ming/cato

Hows that sound?

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

IF we are actually gonna move Steve to the 2, then I would like to see a big point guard like Crawford or Jaric (isn't he like 6 6), or a point forward like Odom or Rose. I just don't like the idea of 2 smallish guards, no way to match up with the Carters, McGrady's, and Kobe's in this league. Those bigger 6 5 to 6 8 guards will kill us .................. errrr.......keep killing us.......like they did this year. (I don't know why Rudy didn't play Posey more defensively on players like Kobe)

Personally, I don't think they are gonna move Stevie to the 2. I think Doc is pulling that out of his shoe. But if it does happen, I sure hope we get a rangy point guard that knows how to distribute and can provide some semblance of defense against the bigger 2's in this league.

The Rockets have to think about defensive matchups when they build their roster, not just offensive firepower. It is a lot easier to win in the NBA by having the defense to force the opposing offense to make adjustments and go away from their strengths then it is to just outgun your opponent night in and night out. Because your opponents can play some defense, at least the playoff teams can. Defense is what separates the good playoff teams from the rest of the league.

As World B. Free once said, "A good defense beats a good offense any day and vice versa". Or was it Tom Chambers? Glen Rice? Oops........it was Yo-----------gi.

5. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

Haaaaaaa! Trading Moochie and getting LESS talent in return?? Less talented than the Moochster!! How is that possible?:confused:

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

We could be getting Jason Collier. Oh wait, he's already on our team.

7. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

Collier is a big man with range.

Think of Yao as Collier version 2.0 if you like. :confused:

OK, I think 48 hours of constant speculation has fried my brain. I'm all speculated out and we're only 2 games into the playoffs.

{{note to self: work on stamina in the off season}}

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't think so. I think they are already over the cap on July 1st. Miller, Brand, Odom, and Maggette all count 300% of current salary towards the cap on July 1st.

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I dunno. I just remember all the rumors from last summer by certain notorious posters which turned out to be so much b.s. Personally, I hope the Rockets don't go stupid, throwing the baby out with the bath water.

10. AGBee

AGBee Member

11. bigben998

bigben998 Member

Am I the only one who doesnt want to trade Cat?? He might have been off for a while but it happens to every player. Remember last year when Steve was gone??? Cat is all we had and he did a good job considering what we had to work with. I also think we should keep Posey. He is a badass!

12. Sane

Sane Member

Damn, I want Payton. I think we can get Payton AND another big player, but honestly, Payton's enough.

Payton
    Francis
    Whoever
    MoT/Griff (or whichever's not traded)
    Ming

13. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Nope, I think he's he one on the team with the most heart, plus I really can't imagine him in any other team's uniform.

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

That's what I'm sayin Sane. I'd love to get Brand, but in a stupider way I'd love more to get Payton for the next 2-3 years. If Steve's moving to 2, we need someone to run the show who can move over to guard twos on D. I can't think of anyone who'd be better (O & D) than Gary Satan. He plays 1 on O, guards 2's on D, makes Yao, Steve, Mo better offensive players than they've ever been. If we can do this (for Cat, Grif, plus what?), plus keep Cato, plus pick up a backup CBA style (is Tierre still available?), I'm done tinkering.

15. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I would love to see Gp running the show here. He is a vocal leader, great passer, offensive weapon and (even if it's not all nba level anymore) he D's up hard. I like the fit.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Although I think many of those "trades" were offered by a poster who must have adopted a second username (*cough* ROCKET!!! *cough*) just to deliberately feed us "insider" bull****.

I ate a lot of that BS myself. I guess I was pretty bored last summer.

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

My read on Doc's posts is that the PG - East PF - West SG - EAST players will be veteran free agents that will take the veteran minimum, or half of the MCE. Players like Robert Horry, Voshon Lenard, Jon Barry, etc. Role players that will come off the bench, and provide veteran leadership.

This must be the case, because Doc believes Miller and Odom will be Rockets. They are restricted free agents, and the deal would have to be a sign and trade. To get Miller and Odom, I think it would probably take all of our marketable assets: Mobley, Griffin and Rice (+3 million). These salaries would total about $17 million, which is probably 15% more than you could get Miller and Odom for in first year salaries ($15 million total for the two?). Mobley and Griffin alone for Miller and Odom would not be enough salarywise to get the job done. But I challenge you to come up with any players other than those three whose contracts Sterling would take. (Plus Doc said Cato will not be traded, the Clips would not want to take back MoT after he bashed the organization every chance he got, and Sterling is certainly not taking Moochie's contract).

So the Clipper trade would leave us with no other tradeable assets. The three players to which the Doc refers have to be minimum or MCE free agents.

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

the only question I have is why we are supposedly targeting Miller? I just don't understand it. He isn't big enough to cover 2s, he is coming off a less than stellar year, has never been a winner, and I don't think he and Steve like each other (didn't they almost fight last time they played?). Odom, I would love to have. Any way that we S&T Miller here and move him to Utah for Kirilenko?

19. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I would hesiate to say that Miller isn't a winner based solely on the fact that his entire career has been spent with the Cavaliers and Clippers, respectively.

20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Andre Miller is not coming to Houston, mark my words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.