1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard: Shots Fired at coaching - minutes management

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 23, 2013.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

From Chron;

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/11/dwight-howard-rockets-need-to-know-when-to-take-a-breather/

I read this as Dwight Howard saying in a very nice way, Harden and Parsons don't play defense because they are too tired from being given too many minutes.

He kinda couches it in a "guys have to be humble", but last time I checked, Harden and Parsons are not in charge of their playing time. This has to be a msg from Howard to Mchale about minutes management.

I agree with Howard 100%, but kinda concerned that he is sending msgs to the coaches through the media.

3 people like this.
  2. anchel

anchel Member

He also said something about having and knowing our go-to-plays for the tough moments.

3. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Should have just included the 2nd half of the quote:

4. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

The only players he could be taking about are Parsons and Harden, but I have a feeling he's talking more about the latter.

1 person likes this.
  5. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

I'm a Dwight fan but this guy should not be telling coaches what to do after the whole Dwightmare in LA/Orl.

Please Dwight be quiet and do your job and just play basketball.

6. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

*talking about

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

I read the link, but I read that as Howard feeling starters don't trust the bench players to pick up the slack. That they need to trust each other's abilities as players.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Talk about being overdramatic. There is no reason to believe that these conversations aren't openly discussed in the locker room as well, and addressed by the coaches.

Dwight is one of the only true veteran players on this team, and I'm glad if he's taking the leadership role to tell guys how they can help and hurt the team. Seems to me like his only message is team first, personal glory second... This is a young team with about 12 guys trying to make a name for themselves..... It is what it is....Dont see anything wrong with what he said.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

All the more reason McHale needs to go. This team is very immature and needs a strong head coach that can get players to buy in. It seems obvious some of these players, Harden in particular, are in their own little world.

10. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

From all the interviews I've seen of Dwight so far, he actually seems very level-headed and speaks the truth. Now, all he needs to do is demand to be the leader of this team by being more vocal. He needs to get in the ears of the younger players.

11. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Translation: If the coaches can't do it, we have to take it upon ourselves to manage our minutes.

12. highlander3128

Maybe DH12 = Torocan afterall, who blasts Mchale for poor minutes mamagement.

13. rocketblood713

lol I thought he really took shots at the coaching staff like complaining type stuff title is misleading to me

14. landryfans

landryfans Member

Why Dwight sounds like a LOF, bad-mouth teammate and coach?

Clutch, ban Dwight!

1 person likes this.
  15. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Paging Omer Asik. Your party is requesting some effort, or at least the appearance of effort. Thank you!

16. landryfans

landryfans Member

yup, right, this speech only meant to comprehend by adult.

17. KWilson71

KWilson71 Member

I like what he said

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're reaching. It's not uncommon for starters, especially the top ones, to decide I'd they can stay in a little longer than usual, or even go in earlier. Coaches will trust the players know themselves well enough to make those calls. So, he means what he is saying.

19. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

Totally confused....had to read it a few times:

First reaction: wth is he saying...starters don't trust the bench guys or is he meaning that only Harden and Parsons don't trust the bench guys so they don't want to come.

Second reaction: Coaches are just not paying attention to the starters and that they don't seem to care that people are getting tired...hence bad D

Third reaction: Dwight is just being Dwight and needed some attention today

@_@

Is this the beginning of some Dwightrauma

To me, he needs to shut it -- keep it in house period. This helps no one

20. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Thank you. Yeesh...