1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My PS4 is nearly unplayable online (Input Lag)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Nov 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Swishh

Swishh Member

Hey, so I bought a new TV alongside my PS4. It is an LG 32 inch / 1080p tv. (model is 32ln53)

So for the first weekend I had my PS4, it was flawless. But now, ever since Tuesday, whenever i play online multiplayer on 2k14 / cod, there is some very noticeable input lag, and it makes it nearly unplayable.

When i play offline, it is fine, but online? Input lag. Can someone help me out here with some possible solutions?

I tried the 'game' setting on the TV, and it didn't do anything. But again, it was fine this past weekend.

2. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Wifi or ethernet? If you are using wifi try connecting it with a ethernet cable right to your router.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

What Bebop said. It's either the internet or the PS4 itself. I'm betting on your internet.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

It's your internet or your router, not the console or TV.

5. Swishh

Swishh Member

im on wifi, but again, it was fine on wifi last weekend.

ill try Ethernet tomorrow and see what happens.

6. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Well, if you're getting input lag only online then it's definitely not a TV issue.

7. Swishh

Swishh Member

so what causes online input lag? i've experienced online lag before, but never online input lag...

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Is your PS4 plugged straight into your TV? I mean...frankly if your TV is lagging from HDMI, that will cause input lag (especially if your tv already has a low refresh rate, do you know what that is?). It's a lot more prevalent in multiplayer games than singleplayer due to characters moving quickly like FPS or racing games for example. What games are you playing?

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Sounds like Display lag.

Problem:
    This can occur for many reasons, but commonly occurs because your TV is being forced to take extra steps to convert a video image before it can be displayed on your screen. In your example I think the PS4 is outputting 1080i when your TV natively supports 1080p. The other possibility is lag from TV is doing some additional processing to artificially increase framerate. Companies have different terms for these technologies (LG uses "TruMotion")

Solution:
    Maybe you fiddled around with your TV's video settings. My LG plasma has a "game mode" under the video/picture settings, that should help with your issue.

I'm not familiar with the PS4, but on the the 360 you can specifically choose what your TV's resolution is (720p, 1080p, etc.) I looked up your TV and its native resolution is 1920 x 1080p. So, make sure the PS4 is set to 1080p (specifically don't select any interlaced resolution like 1080i).

#9 shastarocket, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  10. Swishh

Swishh Member

Yes, i Know what refresh rate is, mine is the standard 60hz. But again, I must point out that I haven't messed with any settings between last weekend when it was flawless and now where i'm experiencing this display/input lag. It just doesn't add up...

I don't know if there's a game mode for my TV, but under the picture settings, I had it on standard (worked fine last week). There was something titled 'game' , but not 'game mode'

Nevertheless, I tried to select it, and noticed no changes at all. In addition, I didn't fiddle around with my tv settings. I thought I might have, so I reset the picture settings to default settings, and that didn't change anything.

Thanks for your input though. I'll try to see what my PS4 is displaying as the output, although i'm not sure how to check for that, or if you even can..

11. shastarocket

I think this may help.

12. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Could be the WIFI signal is interfering with your controller's wireless signal causing latency. Bluetooth sometimes interferes with WIFI signal. Do you have a dual-band router? Try switching channels on your router to something else and see if that helps. See if your router has a Bluetooth Coexistent function and enable it.

13. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Also, switch off the WiFi connection on your TV and see if that helps. What model is your router?

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No bro. I knew this issue was coming big time with the new tvs. Looks like true 2 years ago LCD tvs never had this issue. Now these tvs with led and thin plasma stuff have major issues with it. I bought 3 brand new tvs different brands, they all had the same problem. Plasma or led it don't matter. Look up cnet least input lag tv and look at their reviews. It looks like I'm going to buy another tv but this time a vizio from 2012.

15. shastarocket

Is this what you are referring to?

While you are right, the OP specifically mentioned how there were not issues initially. Meaning the input lag was introduced/worsened later.

In addition, it looks like there is a database of input lags for HDTVs. If OP has the 32LN530B, they have it listed as having only 32ms and given a rating of "Great." Sounds pretty good to me.

16. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

32ms is great? I know it ain't no computer monitor, but damn, that's high. This is why I don't use a TV as a monitor to game on. I have a Samsung 120Hz 3D monitor with around 1ms response time that I PC game on. Went to my brother in law's for a week and hooked my PC to his two Sony Smart TVs (one was the first Google TV one) and holy hell, it was like my mouse was stuck in mud the whole time. Totally different experience.

I don't know how you console gamers do it.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

32ms is NOT good. You can see ghosting and have input lag from 8ms.

18. chrisgraham

chrisgraham Member

sony w802 has the best input lag but starts at $1500

19. shastarocket

Woah woah, sorry if I gave the wrong impression, but 32ms is "great" according to the database and pretty good compared to most HDTVs.

The whole point was to illustrate that even with a 32ms lag, the game shouldn't be damn near unplayable. If that was the case, nobody in their right minds would game on their TVs.

You won't hear me arguing in favor of gaming on HDTVs; I stick to my 5ms response time monitor.

20. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

It's totally obvious.