1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. chenglug

chenglug Contributing Member

i know that... still he is clearly the worst one of the 4, and by a huge margin. I would take any of them over him!

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Is it possible that we can fire McHale and have him doing what Hakeem is doing with Dwight. Teaching him post moves

3. steady

steady Member

I think this too.

4. strifed169

strifed169 Member

People should know that Mchale is unable to teach anything physically because of his past injuries.

5. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This has come across my mind as well. People keep saying Dwight should be soaking up all of McHale's post move knowledge and implementing it by now but I've wondered just how much McHale can physically model much to show Dwight since McHale can hardly walk these days.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Stan Van Gundy
    Phil Jackson
    Larry Brown

7. Apache

Apache Member

Mchale is not going anywhere he jus got a new contract lol

8. Raven

Raven Member

McHale signed a four year contract, with the fourth year being a team option. They can fire him today and only be required to keep paying him until the end of the season, but Morey and Les raved about McHale when they chose him to replace Rick, and he hasn't exactly been a train wreck, though the stakes a much higher now, and if the team continues to stagnate, I hope Les doesn't wait until the end of the season to replace him. I think Phil Jackson would be much more likely to entertain a half season job offer than a full season, because of his health.

9. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

Seriously people??? Knee jerk much?

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2013/11/21/5130358/patience-necessary-after-just-13-games

From the moment Dwight Howard let it be known that he was taking his talents to The Bayou City, Rockets fans have understandably garnered high expectation for the 2013-14 season. When you have arguably the best player in the league at two of your positions, it's to be expected. Yet one thing many of those already making their plans for a parade downtown next June failed to realize is that while the potential for greatness is there, these things take time.

The fact that Chandler Parsons is the longest tenured Rocket on the roster is the first reason to expect needing a little time to mesh. Even I thought the chemistry was well ahead of schedule with how terrific the team looked in preseason, but the logic remains that it is just the preseason. While Houston is sitting at an okay 8-5, the thoughts of the many late game collapses and the "they should be 11-2!" proclamations sit front and center.

Last night's collapse in Dallas was just added to the list of crap games the Rockets have given away. The Lakers, Sixers and Mavs all have found a way to trick Houston into snatching defeat from the jaws of victory with their inability to close a game out. However, I'm still not mad about it. Does it suck? Especially losing to Dallas? You better believe it. But am I concerned?

Not really.

For three plus quarters last night, we saw a team that could beat anybody. We saw a team that looked like the best team in the Western Conference. What we also saw was a team still trying to figure things out when faced with adversity. I know all the national media guys, that are already rooting for Houston to fail mind you, are using the "elite teams don't lose games like that one" line, but who cares? You know who else they said that about? The 2010-11 Miami Heat.

Sure, the Heat lost in the Finals, but many seem to forget that they didn't look like a Finals contender for all of November that first year together. In fact, their record after 13 games? 8-5. In addition, they were as bad as 9-8 at one point and many were calling for Erik Spoelstra to be fired. Three years and two titles later, fans in Miami (contrary to popular belief, there are some good fans out there) are quite happy Spoelstra kept his job.

So all of the calls for McHale to be fired is just ludicrous. All those expecting the team to be 11-2 at this point need to pump the brake a little. Developing the kind of chemistry needed with this much roster turnover takes more than ten or twenty games. It takes more like forty or fifty. This isn't NBA 2k14. Patience is more than a virtue; it's necessary.

Now, if these things are still happening in February; then I'll be concerned and entertain your calls for the team to part ways with Kevin McHale. I know folks are a little hypersensitive right now about Houston sports because they feel such scorn towards the Texans, but just separate the two. The two couldn't be more night and day.

Requesting patience from a group of fans so hungry for any type of success is like asking Chandler Parsons to date a fat chick; it isn't likely to be a granted request.

Just try to calm down, take a deep breath and simply relax. James Harden hasn't even played close to his best ball yet this season. Dwight is getting better in the system every game and Parsons is learning to be one hell of a distributor. There are plenty of positives to take out of the first three weeks of the season. I'm not saying you can't gripe; by all means feel free to do that. But let's stop the witch-hunt for Kevin McHale and tying to encourage a panic trade. By now we should all know Daryl Morey doesn't do that.

We're almost fifteen percent of the way through the schedule and are currently on pace for 52 wins. This team will learn to close those games out in the fourth and they'll likely end up with more than 52 wins, in my opinion. But maybe I'm just so optimistic about this team and its future that I'm whistling past the graveyard here. Who knows.

But I'm going to stay patient and reassess at the halfway point. For your sanity sake, I suggest you do the same.

10. Raven

Raven Member

I agree, especially since Phil Jackson is more likely to take a half season job offer. ;)

11. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

Haha, touché.

12. pacmania

pacmania Member

Rudy T- Multiple Championships, great motivator

JVG- Finals appearance with the knicks, excellent defense

Adelman- Excellent coach both on defense and offense- made the most out of depleted lineup.

Mchale- GM and then Coach of minnesota Minnesota. Became unpopular after trading Kevin Garnett to his former team among a myriad of other idiotic moves he made. Used his connections with Danny Ainge to land another job in Houston.

standing next to the previous Three (3) coaches Mcfail simply pales in comparison.

1 person likes this.
  13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You or whoever wrote the article clearly does not understand the idiom knee jerk reaction. Knee jerk reaction refers to a reflexive response; an immediate unthinking emotional reaction produced by a specific event.

This thread was created over a year and a half ago. After a disappointing season in which the OP came to the conclusion...

After a season of watching McHale he came to his conclusion. The OP's sentiments apply as much today as they did the day he posted them. Most the people who have pleaded for Mchale's firing on this thread during it's duration have not changed their position because McHale's failings are mostly the same.

While many more have joined the masses in wanting his head it is hardly a reflexive response. Most who want McHale gone do not believe he is the right coach to take this team to the playoffs. And while no one is going insane if Mchale stayys or goes. Certainly his departure and the hiring of someone who better understands how to utilize the talent we have is the preference. That is pretty obvious what the OP's point was when he created it and applies even more now.

1 person likes this.
  14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

How many games we have to lose, so that we can officially say "McFail, you are fired!!!"

15. pacmania

pacmania Member

How many teams would've accepted Royce White after his very turbulent, unproductive, disastrous stay with the Houston Rockets?

The 76ers. Why? Because Sam Hinkie was formerly a Houston Rockets assistant general manager to Daryl Morey.

How many teams would've hired Kevin Mchale as coach after his very turbulent, unproductive, disastrous stint with the Minnesota Timberwolves?

The Rockets. Why? Because Daryl Morey was formerly as Boston Celtics assistant general manager to Danny Ainge. ( Ainge owed Mchale big time for sending them Kevin Garnett from Minnesota).

Mchale was never hired because of his credentials and so far " the Kevin Mchale Show" in houston is a dismal flop.

16. afk

afk Member

Need more memes. I am not convinced enough.

17. landryfans

landryfans Member

I think Mchale is desperate not to get fired, that is why he plays short rotation, play Harden for very long mins, talks about the bad of sticky ball and ISO, Defense but cant enforce it.

As long as rockets has a winning record, it is hard to fire him, considering his HOF background, connections, and his personal tragedy, etc...

18. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Should have fired him 1.5 years ago. Today's McHale is not any better than McHale of April 2012.

19. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

he's done a horse **** job yet he need the fans have to tell him.
    how sarcastic.
    after 1.5 years OP's point all been proven right, and most suprisingly, Mcfail has not improve any of it at all, that's beyond human being, as what distinguish human from other species is human can learn and improve. Mcfail cant.

Daryl is paying Ainge back but now it has become too costly. Now you got an undisciplined max contract who doesnt defend(although he speaks shiny flashy words) and doesnt execute clutch plays except his own ISO. you got a team almost everyone want to get his own. you have a culture of pad the stats for better future contract and while in hard time unload responsibility to others by passing it with 3 secs left. stop the poison NOW.

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

okay. lets say mchale is fired at all-star break. who is brought in?