1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Well, some of us are still wondering how he was able to obtain so many green under his name.....

I mean, who the hell gives rep to someone that is unintelligent, hypocritical, flip-flopping, has selective bias and is a troll like him.....

2. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

Overreaction? He is playing better and improving his personal stock (which you seem so worried about) by being the 6th man. Chill out man.

3. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

you know who is the biggest troll?
    Kevin Mchale. He stirred up all of these. If you are really tired of this thread and argues, voice to rocket get rid of him ASAP. no more funky experiment, no more UGLY ISO for clutch plays, just normal professional basketball. maybe he try to be "Mcsanity" of coaching but nop he havent got that and just stinking it up. HE MUST GO.

4. noisoplease

noisoplease Member

Torocan, I enjoy reading your post. (Logics you can follow.)

1 person likes this.
  5. langal

langal Contributing Member

Not that grateful. Still more to be done...

They should have Lin go for 7th, 8th, or dare I say... 12th man? Imagine the insane efficiency he can put up. And him and Harden never even have to be within 6 feet of each other. Talk about "fit"!

Also - Lin is one of our best playmakers - and our third and fourth units desperately need a playmaker.

All these LOF fanboys say that he worked hard in the offseason, blahblahblah... They are just trolling. But we know that the numerical spot on bench has greater effect on a player's ability than actual work.

1 person likes this.
  6. RRockets

RRockets Member

:grin:

7. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Very insightful. Imagine if he were the 6th man last year. He probably wouldn't even be here because the Lakers would have traded for him.

Your point is proved by Linsanity. The only reason he was phenomenal was because he was the 15th man. No correlation with actual skill -- his insane efficiency is just inversely related to his position on the bench. Long live Morey and the insanely smart Houston fans.

8. amak316

amak316 Member

People love to act like Jeremy is killing it this year because he's embraced his 6th man role and baught in. Jeremys work ethic has been well documented throughout his short career, and he has gotten better to extreme degrees every single offseason (even improving his off the ball game DURING the season last yr) except when he was hurt all offseason after surgery. The guy had a great year last year and looks like an all star this year, worked his ass off to get here, and increased the skill gap between himself and Beverly, only to see his minutes take a hit.

It's insanity that people are crediting the coaching for diminishing his role and finding a "better spot" for him, when really there is nothing to support that hypothesis. All we can definitively conclude is that the coaches have diminished the role of a player who has seemingly improved his game vastly. It would have been one thing if Jeremy was having trouble with the starting lineup and they brought him off the bench as an adjustment halfway through the season, but c'mon...

1 person likes this.
  9. DL24

DL24 Member

that's the defintion of LOF lol

10. Dawan70

Dawan70 Member

Lin is early in his career and getting better with each day. Health permitting, Lin will be a factor in the NBA for a decade.[/QUOTE]

Funny how some thought he was just a "fluke".

11. JBar

JBar Rookie

Torocan, though I don't have any big issue with Lin coming off the bench, it has always been my preference (like yours) that he be subbed out early with Bev taking his place, so that he could be subbed in again when Harden comes out a few minutes later. Staggering is key to keep an attacking offensive guard in all times.

What I want to know is: Why hasn't this been considered? Even last year, when Lin was starting, there seemed often to be a gap in the stagger so that Lin and Harden were both on the bench at times. Is there some sort of conventional thinking about offensive players losing (or never getting into) their rhythm if they are subbed out too early? Or is their some other reason that I am missing?

12. torocan

torocan Member

Honestly it's because I think McHale is terrible at minutes management. A perfect example of that was the 76ers game where McHale played Lin for 22/24 minutes in the first half, and 22:30/24 minutes in the 2nd half.

I've been complaining about McHale's minutes management for some time now, dating back to last year when I would see him overplaying our starters even during blow outs, or when we had substantial leads.

Even this year he's overplaying our roster in my opinion, running Harden at 40 minutes and Parsons at 38 minutes.

That said, the actual total minutes played is less disturbing to me than his choice or substitution timing. He has a habit of playing our roster for exceedingly long stretches without either breaks or time outs. He doesn't take advantage of normal breaks in game play to rest our players such as the strategic use of time outs for breathers.

I read one particular study of Head Coaches that basically argued that the #1 factor that determines the success of a Head Coach is the ability to manage the minutes of their players. IE, to have the best line ups on the floor at the right times, and to switch those minutes around at the best time to ensure good in game adjustment and adequate rest.

In my view McHale is actually running the minutes some nights in a way that ensures our starters are playing the maximum minutes to ensure a win, instead of what I believe should be the opposite, which is to play them the minimum minutes to ensure a win.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  13. James88

James88 Member

Here's the Spurs top 10 players minutes allotted, who've all played at least 8 games. Only Parker above 30, and three guys above 25.0mpg

Player MP
    Tony Parker 31.5
    Tim Duncan 28.3
    Kawhi Leonard 28.1
    Danny Green 25.0
    Manu Ginobili 24.2
    Boris Diaw 24.1
    Tiago Splitter 22.7
    Marco Belinelli 20.7
    Patrick Mills 15.5
    Jeff Ayres 11.0

14. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Awesome post! Wish I could rep

1 person likes this.
  15. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

People who's been calling this are probably mchale's agents, or morey's agents, ala morey and mchale trolls

16. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Torocan, this is the reason why I believe, and I still maintain that Mchale benched Lin because he hates hist guts. Think about it. Mchale is the most traditional, conventional coach out there, what do conventional coaches do? They start their best player. All of a sudden, Mchale is benching a good player over a mediocre player because it "he's a scrappy defender?" WTF? All of a sudden, Mchale is going all unconventional, original, on us all of a sudden?

Also, look at the benching of last year's Portland game for TD? It's like the second Lin messes up, he's looking over his shoulder at the bench.

Which is why I also think that those who was calling for Lin's benching all throughout here, I suspect are Mchale trolls or Morey trolls. Their arguments usually aren't that great for him to be on the bench, and yet they were like so correct in predicting that Lin was going to the bench. How could rhetoric so persistent here, would make its way in the real life game?

And it's not as if things like buying and trolling boards is something new. The state department buys facebook likes. LOL. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL8Iyke93Io

And the music industry buys youtube views like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hhhuuRGfaU

So, judging by the fact that so many people here called for Lin's benching, when his performance clearly doesn't justify it, mchale being a very traditional coach, and would follow that old line of thinking that is to start your best players, the fact that the state department and the music industry trolls boards, makes it highly likely that these people calling for Lin's benching are probably Morey or Mchale's agents trolls.

And of course, the best response from those who disagree with me is that people like me are crazy. Or they'll put a gif with a person shaking its head. LOL.

17. langal

langal Contributing Member

I am also insightful enough to know that the ONLY way to get two players to mesh together is to bench one of them. Coaching 101.

18. yummyhawtsauce

ROFL.

19. yummyhawtsauce

Bench Wade!

20. Xfinity

Xfinity Member

Said what? How do you mesh something or someone together by separating them? I don't think you are using the right word.