1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If I was McHale, I would ….

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DH78, Nov 18, 2013.

1. HTXcfs

HTXcfs Rookie

people seem to assume that McHale calls an iso play each time Harden does so. If the same people would actually pay attention, its clearly visible that Harden creates these iso plays that we have all come to hate so much. Upon catching the ball, Harden waves off the player that is supposed to set the ball screen, thus freezing the rest of the players while he dribbles out the clock. I'm positive that McHale, or any other coach for that matter, does not spend countless hours per week drawing up as many iso plays as we've had.

2. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

HAHHAAH...LOL, love it!!!

3. HTXcfs

HTXcfs Rookie

Managing ego's is the toughest part of an NBA coaches job. Getting them to consistently buy into a system is even more challenging.

4. johnnytsunami

johnnytsunami Member

The problem isn't who is creating the iso-plays, but why it hasn't been fixed. Coaching is needed to fix players' bad tendencies. Harden needs not only be fix his iso-heavy tendencies but that awful step-back 3 (one of the worst shots, if not the worst, to take in basketball) he loves so much. I don't think McHale is a bad coach, although I don't particular like him as a coach either (the lack of effective set plays, especially out of timeouts and inbounding sets are mindboggling), but I do believe the players don't respond very well to McHale's teachings, which is an important aspect of coaching.

Definitely agree. But also this supports my point that McHale is having problems with this aspect of coaching.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Is this actually a problem? Harden averages 1.08 PPP on isolation's and the Rockets average 1.06 PPP overall. I honestly do not know.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yes it is a problem when your best player and max contract guy averages a tad above the team average. You'd expect your franchise player to do better than that.

7. conquistador#11

...clothesline any coach who attempted hackadwight

8. Title99

Title99 Contributing Member

Make sure Howard knows how to seal his defender on the post by using his lower body more efficiently.

I don't understand why he doesn't do this better.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

That's just Harden iso PPP vs overall team PPP. I would guess Hardens overall PPP is much better than his isolation PPP.

10. AlbanyFan

AlbanyFan Member

He should study D'Antoni