1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Sam Smith suggests an Asik-for-Rondo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Contingent, Nov 14, 2013.

1. tarzanman

tarzanman Member

Sounds ridiculous but here it is:

Would you trade your backup PG and non-essential backup center for Rajon Rondo?

2. Remii

Remii Member

That doesn't sound ridiculous _ what sounds ridiculous is that people actually think Boston would do it.... They can get A LOT more...

3. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

this actually evidence that rondo will no fit here... kobe liked him... he will definitely not mesh with howard.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So Kobe wants a guy that will throw him the ball. Also, Rondo might not be a bad fit for LAL because they have Gasol who is a decent shooter for a center.

5. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

6. jcmoon

um, rondo would fit anywhere. usually shooting guards want to be set up for easy shots. instead of iso fadeways, and trying to drive it through double teams.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Again:

Some of you guys. Sheeeeesh.

Agree to disagree, I guess?

By all accounts, Rondo, yes, was born a b***hole and just grew bigger, much like his now-Nets ex-teammates.

The one thing McHale (who hopefully won't be here after this season, God love him) is certainly correct in pointing out: we have no one who can get the ball into Dwight. Harden showed he's developing the lob into Howard, but for the most part, it's been pretty awkward.

So, no good passing into the post, so the best center in the league is often neutralized (although he's undersized and does struggle against bigger players, so I'm not putting this all on the guards).

So, horrific---and I mean horrific---perimeter defense, until we're 17 points down and the coach has to tell them to shake off their Black Eyed Pea dinner of chicken fried steak and WAKE UP.

A general lackadaisical attitude overall, lots of "we didn't come out aggressive, we didn't come out with energy" losses.

And we're worried Rondo will lessen the effect of Harden Hero Ball? That's possible, I guess, and I'll admit Harden's passing has been better lately, if simply because he's saving his run-down feet from running around dribbling by simply passing it.

This might all be academic. I don't know if I see Jeremy Lin in a trade. I'm not kidding when I say you'd lose a ton of revenue without his die-hard groupies. I like the kid but my goodness. When I saw the Clippers here I thought, Wow, our LOFs might get annoying but they could just be keeping the Toyota Center from looking empty.

8. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Can Morey still go after Josh Smith or no?

9. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

I approve this deal.

---- Alex (hahahaha ..)

10. landryfans

landryfans Member

a year from now the idea of trade Lin for Rondo will be laughable, aka Felton move.

11. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

He haven't been down 17 since we scrapped the TT experiment... yes our defense needs to improve, but defense coincides with chemistry... lets wait until mid season before we judge if our defense is really pathetic...

12. bws

bws Member

Wrong position. You don't need to change PGs. You have gold in Lin and you are sitting here not appreciating what you have. Let's have a pure fantasy and bring in Garnett then for Asik. He'll set pics for Lin and Lin can feed him the ball in the post or kick it out for 18 footer he could knock down and Garnett would bring in defensive intensity. Of course, he's old and he's not going anywhere. But it is so wrongheaded to look at the PG position to upgrade. No PG is going to fix the defense and you have a developing PG that shows he can improve his game. Why are so many of you so eager to ship him out? He will struggle, so will Harden, but they'll mature and get great together if you'd just be patient and allow their maturation and development to take place while they build chemistry together. Keep bringing in other stars and you'll just end up changing the chemistry. There are no magic bullets, just the grass is greener mentality and this or that guy will take you to the promise land. That's not going to happen, you need team chemistry, coaching, guys healthy, and guys playing well together to go deep in the playoffs. And that takes time and often doesn't happen in their first year together.

13. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

Look, no one is knocking Lin or his potential.

But just like getting Dwight over Asik was a no brainer. So is Rondo over Lin.

Rondo has a winning mentality. He has a lot of playoff experience. And he's easily top 5 in his position. He is an excellent defender and a great passer.

I'm not saying it'll happen. But to say that you'll trade Lin out to get Rondo is not an insult or under estimation of Lin.

14. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Danny Ainge denies Rondo trade rumors for what feels like the zillionth time.

<a href="http://t.co/IbudKhQScw">http://t.co/IbudKhQScw</a></p>&mdash; Eye on Basketball (@EyeOnBasketball) <a href="https://twitter.com/EyeOnBasketball/statuses/402465428636585985">November 18, 2013</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  15. torocan

torocan Member

Ahem.

Tony Parker
    Chris Paul
    Steph Curry
    Russell Westbrook
    Derrick Rose
    Kyrie Irving

They might all have a few words to say about that... and let's not forget guys like Ty Lawson and Deron Williams who some might argue are still on par with Rondo.

That's pretty darn far from *easily*.

16. jcmoon

rondo is a true point who is a great two-way, full court player. some of those are combo-guards, playing the point. what's more telling is who they guard on the defensive side of the ball. rondo guards kobe and lebron. it's hard to say who is better....it's more of, who is a fit, playing next to harden and d12. But i would say, yes he is hands down a top-five true point in the NBA.

17. torocan

torocan Member

So, you're arguing top 5, if you only count point guards who can't shoot? That's like saying top 5 if you only count point guards who can't pass...

Sorry, but I find that logic a tortuous stretch to prop up Rondo...

18. jcmoon

rondo is a very good mid-range shooter..do you actually watch the games? and he's on par with chandler parson this season from the 3. he can shoot. compare the assists that he has every year compared to kyrie, irving, stephen curry, or eve derrick rose. they basically shooting guards playing the point. they are looking to score first. he may be an *******, but he still gets into the all star game every year, and is on the all defensive teams every year.

without rondo, garnett, pierce, and ray allen would not have won that 2008 championship. ask these guys if they would rather have rondo pull up and shoot, or set them up for easy buckets.

19. torocan

torocan Member

Not sure if you're serious... you're pulling out Rondo's career 24% from the 3 point line as evidence he can shoot?

And his heavy use of the mid-range 2 point shot (highly inefficient) as a good idea?

Rondo shoots 48% from 16-23 feet. That's a decent percentage but you realize that only translates to 32% from the 3point line in EFG? So he takes less efficient shots, and clogs the paint up even more because he can't step out behind the line.

And those assist numbers are good, but they're also crazy inflated. How many games have you seen Rondo stay in WAY too long so he can inflate his assist numbers during his consecutive 10 assist game streak? AND he was surrounded by HOF spot up shooters.

Do you really think he would sustain those numbers when the second he passes to Harden he'll be dribbling 12-18s off the clock? Or when he dumps it into the post and Dwight does his dribble, spin moves?

Don't get me wrong, Rondo is a top 10 PG, but top 5? Sorry, no. Just, no.

20. jms99

jms99 Member

rondo's not a bad shooter. his focus is on facilitating. He's not going to shoot 10 threes per game because he's handling the ball. If Harden were handling the ball a lot, then Rondo will be making more threes.