1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron.com] Rockets Forward Parsons Worth on Upswing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 17, 2013.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Parsons is not worth more than 7-8 Million per year for 4 years. He is a product of our fast paced system and benefits from attention on Harden, Howard and Lin. His D has regressed every year which is worrying.

Morey should swap Parsons with Hayward, the far better player.

2. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

It will be fascinating to see how the contract situations of Chandler Parsons, Gordon Hayward and Evan Turner develop.....

3. eman

eman Contributing Member

He may be a product of our fast-paced system? I prefer to think our fast-paced system is a product of him. And others, to be sure, but that boy does run the floor.

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think Parsons has been fantastic this year. He's not hitting the three pointers yet, but that will come around. He's driving to the basket stronger than ever this year, so he keeps adding new things to his game. Hard to believe so many Clutchfans don't value what he brings to this team. I will be shocked if Les and Morey let Parsons get away.

5. PnRScreen

PnRScreen Rookie

No, he doesn't. Many times this season he tries to run the offence and it slowed our pace massively.

Dribble-less parson is what we need, i.e last season.

6. PnRScreen

PnRScreen Rookie

i think he has the highest usage rate than any of his teammates. It allows him to gain points while remain ****ty.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I suspect they will let him hit the RFA market as that is what they did with Lowry and others in the past.

DD

8. Remii

Remii Member

Don't get criticism confused with bashing and Parsons is not above criticism. Some of you talk about Parsons like he's a star player... He's a good average player...

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It'll be much clearer on what is going to happen with Parson's contract situation after the Asik trade. If they take back players with contracts past 2015, then you make Parsons a RFA.

If not, you plan on picking up next year, and making a splash in the Summer of 2015 unless a great player comes along much sooner. The catch is a great player will probably be on a large contract that is difficult to acquire without another big contract like Asik's going back in the deal.

Alot of the future of the Rockets lies on the shoulders of this Asik deal that will happen at some point. This is the deal that really shapes what happens from here on out.

10. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'm referring to CP running the floor without the ball-- either up ahead for the outlet, or just behind for the put-back. He hustles.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Well, even with his poor three point shooting, he still has a shooting percentage of 50%. For you to say he is ****ty is ridiculous.

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Dude, you took the long way to summarize everything that was already stated in the Chron article.

Parson's defense was awesome last season. His back problems clearly are impacting his defense and probably contributing to his lack of touch from beyond the arc.

Also, whoever compared Budinger to Parsons doesn't watch much ball. Chase had zero defense and was awful off the dribble. Chandler also brings grit and toughness ...something Chase only had, well, never. Conversely, Chandler is the team captain ...for a reason.

This season, Chandler (who is playing hurt) is beating Chase in every single statistical category except 3pt%. Chase is hitting a mind bending 32% as opposed to Chandler's 26%. That said, Chase has a career 35% 3pt% and Chandler shoots a career 36%.

Parsons is even 2 inches taller.

The only comparisons are:
    They are white
    They both play SF
    And..., well, that's it.

Please don't ever compare Parson's the Budinger again.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

2nd best player on a playoff team is nothing to squawk at either. We have a fanbase that loves to label players as either highly overrated or severely underrated. We fail to see when players are actually just GOOD.

Parsons is a GOOD player, and will be a big part of this teams makeup moving forward.

There is a line between criticizing and being critical. If you are talking to the point to where Parsons holes in his game are big enough that they should just dump him for chump change then you are just begin critical for the sake of being critical.

Parsons is the longest tenured Rocket on the roster, a respected, well liked personality, a future leader, and a damn good player who can be your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best player on your team on any given night.... and he comes at a bargain... why in the world would anyone want to give that guy up just cause other guys in the league can do what he does on the basketball court???

When I see someone on here actually suggesting the Rockets trade him for chump change, it makes me want to spit up my coffee.

1 person likes this.
  14. rserina

rserina Member

Sort of surprised at how much these boards devalue Parsons. Yes, his statistics are inflated in this offense--just like Harden's, Lin's, or any other player who can run a pick and roll. He will never be great defensively, but he has the length and athleticism to stay in front of good wing scorers and contest their shots. The best thing about him is that he doesn't need the ball or shots to contribute: he is great as a weakside rebounder and finisher in the halfcourt, he fills the lane and finishes in transition, he can spot up in the corner and hit threes, he can make post entry passes and run ball screens.

If you can replace him with a great wing defender who can space the floor with his shot, then great. But claiming that he is the most "replaceable" player in the team is sort of odd when two of your positions (one, four) are being filled by rotations with no definite starter. You lose a ton in terms of transition and half-court offense without Parsons. How often has Casspi handled the ball in a pick and roll? Great floor spacer and I love him at the four, but not the three.

1 person likes this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

??????

Parsons is definitely one of our better players. He's slumping on 3's but his game is far more versatile than ever. My biggest beef with Parsons was that he couldn't create his own shot and depended on others.

But this year, I've seen him score off the post, I've seen him drive past defenders. I've seen him do all sorts of great things.

He's still a young guy and he's doing this playing with multiple nagging injuries. Wow. This board has no clue.

1 person likes this.
  16. rserina

rserina Member

Nice. But to be fair, that is a fairly small subset in the NBA.

17. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Parsons can definitely be the Three or the Four in a Big Three or Big Four core. If he can provide 17 / 6 / 3 with above average defense and an ability to create some of his shots and playmake for others, you keep this guy, and you give this guy some respect by paying him decently.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Damn good post.

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

How does Bud shoot 32% 3's when he is still recovering from a meniscus tear?

He hasn't played a single game this season....

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Nope...not new. I just dont see much if an upside. The only reason we think hes better than the average player that he plays like is because hes a good looking white guy who can jump. Again, someone convince me that budinger wouldnt have put up similar numbers. Also not really bashing parsons, just pointing out the truth about him. Hes average, sucks on defense. He is what he is. Morey woukd be a fool to give him more than a 6/6/6 contract imo. Athletic sfs who shoot 33% in threes and play no defense can be had cheaply EVERY single year via the draft or free agency