1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. joepu

joepu Member

Not completely true. At the beginning of the season, there was no guarantee he was going to get the minutes he's been getting. He got the minutes because of Bev and Harden injuries. He took the hand he was dealt and did so well with it he has earned the minutes he is getting.

Team was willing to bend over backwards to accommodate Asik. Yes, that was not a good idea as it sets a bad precedent. However since that was done, in all fairness, Lin can demand and expect the same. Yes players shouldn't sulk, they get paid millions to play but the fact is the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

No way to prove that he wasn't going to get minutes. I guess one could say you can't prove he would have gotten the minutes without injuries, but I just don't see who else on the roster would have been a candidate to eat into the minutes Lin has been getting so far. With who we had on the roster Lin Bev and harden were going to be our 3 guard rotation. With 96 minutes to go around to 3 players I think around 30 minutes per game was always in the plans from day one and I expect it to continue throughout the season.

3. landryfans

landryfans Member

96=40(james)+35(bev)+26(Lin)+5(others), I bet that was the plan by Mchale.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

That equals to 106. And no I have a feeling it will turn out 38 for harden with some of those minutes at the 3 and around 30 or so each for Lin and Bev.

5. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

Why should Lin and Bev get equal minutes when Lin is the better player and the rockets are better with him on the court?

It should be Harden 36, Lin 34, Beverley 26

6. Champ06

Champ06 Member

In fact, Lin is getting more minutes than Beverley. How many minutes depend on the coach, that is the reason why a team has a coach.

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I'm not saying they will for sure be at 30 a piece on the dot I just think it will be around there. Probably a 32/28 split if I were a betting man.

Not sure how many minutes the Bev Lin harden lineup has gotten so far but harden getting some of his minutes at the 3 only adds to the amount Bev and Lin will get on the floor.

All that aside my point from the beginning was that based on personnel, there just wasn't much doubt in Lin getting similar minutes as last year even though he was coming from the bench.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lin is playing out of his mind as the 6th man. Easily the leading candidate for 6th man of the year right now.

9. ipuff

ipuff Member

The 6th man role is just a fancy way of saying "good bench player".

If the team is built as Lin as a 6th man, there's a good chance he'll be stuck as a 6th man for the rest of his time as a rocket.

10. Champ06

Champ06 Member

This is interesting from Morey about Lin...........
    http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/...eremy_lin_returns_to_msg_a_better_player.html

11. dacman

dacman Member

When you hear Morey praise a player you wonder if they are going on the trading block. In the case of Lin, you need an insurance policy. Harden is a streaky player. Lin has been the most consistent this year and has improved every single aspect of his games except assist which you would expect to go down coming off the bench.

12. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

To me, it seems to indicate the differing views between management and the coaching staff. It's quite evident that management values Lin more than the coaching staff and that the coaching staff values Bev more although everyone probably likes both players as evidenced by their minutes. If this schism grows (Lin is underutilized or marginalized when Lin goes through a rough patch which he will) I believe it will be one more sign McHale may be on his way out. The players will determine how everything play out. If Bev outperforms Lin, Morey must concede that Sampson/McHale knew what they were talking about. If Bev does not perform and remains a starter and/or Lin is marginalized or unhappy or even underperforms, McHale will be replaced by someone who can better fit harden and Lin on the court. That's my gist of it anyways.

13. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

I don't think he'll trade Lin right now, not with the numbers he's putting up. Imagine if he becomes an All Star with another team. He can't say he didn't know twice. If anything, he might trade Bev in a package to force McHale to start Lin.

14. torocan

torocan Member

I doubt trading Bev to force McHale to start Lin would be his primary motivation. Morey doesn't really work like that.

IF Morey traded Bev for another PG, it would be for a PG with better scoring/creation skills so that either the starters are stronger while Lin plays 6th man, or so that Lin can move to starter without such a big drop off to the 2nd unit.

15. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

He try to do that last year when he traded Douglas when Mchale started using him too much over Lin.

16. torocan

torocan Member

No, he traded TD because we were crazy deep at PG and TD made nice filler with his $3M contract. Last year our line up was Lin, TD, Beverley... that's more than you needed.

17. landryfans

landryfans Member

Dont think Morey has balls to trade Lin right now,

18. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Explain PPat trade?

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Despite the Lin trade talks you see on here, I think he is one of the building pieces for the Rockets. Like only packaged in a trade for a superstar, not Ersan. You are seeing the growth you would want from Lin for the most part. Turnovers stil need to go down for a pg.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

TD was traded because he wasn't getting resigned and Morey could get something for him.

The Spurs have like 5 guys who play/can cover PG.