1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PlayStation 4 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Jun 15, 2013.

1. KlicKlac

KlicKlac Member

Argh, reading this thread was really tempting me to get a PS4 but I'm not going to get duped like I did with the Wii U on launch day. Every time a new system is released, the games are hyped up like crazy. I think I'll wait a little bit to see what people think before buying.

2. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Any reason to upgrade from PS3 to PS4 (and if the answer is "graphics" then the game is already lost)? Seems like you can get almost all the games on PC anyway. It also doesn't help that hardware manufacturers (who btw are not gaming companies) seem to be conceding by making innards easier to develop for cross-platform. Are consoles going the way of arcades?

Kind of miss the days when the only way to play Mega Man or Dragon Quest was on an NES.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He must not have even tried. The ps3 at launch was in very short supply and sellers on eBay were making over $800 easily.

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

5. donatas

donatas Member

I'm going to wait for the Infamous Second Son bundle.

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Exclusive games. Some games like NBA 2K14 might be on both PS3 and PS4 (and even PC), but the PS4 has additional features (along with better graphics and all that). The PS4 system OS is a little better for gaming and social media.

Sony will be ditching the PS3 over time, and will make their high profile games (Uncharted, God of War, MLB The Show, Gran Turismo, etc.), exclusively for PS4. But that will take some time.

7. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

They announced Uncharted on PS4 last night. No surprise there. Load times are so much better. Just shared my first game video.

8. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Damn these greedy corporate vultures. Could xbox1 be next?

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/games/...n-Plants-Due-Employee-Mistreatment-60590.html

9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Please don't buy the peoples overpriced PS4s. Just wait....its a great system but wait for more games and you can get it off the shelf for much cheaper. Just throwing that out there. People are greedy.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

It's been a while fellas...what's the latest? Any updates on games like knack, KZ, etc...? How are you guys enjoying the console?

Don't let video game threads die, thanks. :)

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've been too busy to play much. Still waiting on Marvel Legos to ship. I plan on getting some heavy BF4 in this week/weekend but online is glitchy right now, man, kind of a letdown.

Launch games never do it for me unless they're from Nintendo. Resistance, which I loved had it's fair share of glitches.

12. ChippedToothLin

13. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

that's carrying brah

14. RC Cola

There are a few more updates in the PS4 Launch thread (more impressions on the system, the games, etc.):
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=246875
    I post some of my impressions in there somewhere, including brief thoughts about all the games I've played (which is most of the launch games). Knack is pretty enjoyable IMO, although I'm still pretty early in the game. Only played about 15-30 minutes of KZ, so can't speak much to it. It is gorgeous though. From what I've read though, I think it has some problems in the campaign. I'll get to it at some point, but that is disappointing.

I've spent most of my time playing NBA 2K14 and Warframe (with a bit of Flower and Just Dance mixed in...the latter for the easy trophies, I swear! :eek:). Warframe is pretty awesome IMO, but I've hit a wall I think. I'm not super good at the game (making lots of mistakes and trying to figure out the right tactics), plus I'm trying to go solo, so it is pretty difficult early on. I'm stuck on the first boss, and will probably need to spend some time grinding before I can successfully move on (assuming I stick with going solo). I suppose I could just spend $20-$30 (or the rest of the platinum bonus I have), which is definitely reasonable for a game I'm really enjoying. But I think I'll stick with not paying anything for now, and maybe throwing in some money later on to support the devs (assuming I'm still enjoying it all).

I think I'm going to put 2K on hold for a bit, so I'll try to get to more of Knack, KZ, Resogun, Contrast, and the Lego game (which I played for 5 minutes, but I think I'll love it). More Flower too.

edit: While I'm here, has anyone put some time into Blacklight Retribution? I've been so impressed by Warframe and its F2P model, and I was curious to see how this game handled it. I seem to recall hearing good things about it (thought it was better than Warframe), but I just haven't had time to check it out yet.

#474 RC Cola, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Glad I didn't wait...

I have a Wii U also (Which despite what anyone says, I like a lot. The games are finally catching up as well.), so with that for reference the PS4 is a lot faster and a lot more technologically interesting to me (although the Wii U has some cool features as well). I am really excited to see the future games, and really happy with it. Plus seeing it sitting next to an Xbox One makes me happy I opted for it instead.

As for the games...

Killzone: I wasn't super impressed with the single player, it reminded me of playing Crysis. (It's pretty, but not extremely inspiring. Not to mention the ****ing AI detecting me through wall REALLY reminded me of Crysis) It was fun. The multiplayer however felt like a mixture of Call of Duty and Halo which is right up my alley. I also liked that everything (all the weapons anyway and perks, there are opportunities for customization like attachments) is unlocked from the beginning, it makes a game that could be a throwaway extremely replayable. Did I mention it's gorgeous? If you're not into Battlefield (I'm not), it's the FPS to buy right now.

NBA2K14: I've said this before; the first time my wife walked in and saw me playing she thought it was a real game. It's missing features due to the next gen jump, but it's 2K -- it's extremely playable, it's hoops, it's fun to watch. By the way...the Rockets have Harden and Dwight Howard on the same roster. You want to play hoops? Don't even think about NBA Live.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes: If you're a Marvel junkie, or you have someone you want to play with (my wife in my case) this is a must buy. It's funny (campy at times, but also truly funny and extremely charming), and they clearly care about the license. There's A RIDICULOUS amount of content here. I don't buy games that don't have online multiplayer for full price usually, just due to lack of replay-ability. No problem here, plus it has split screen co-op a rarity these days. I would get this over Knack, though speaking as someone who played the demo I thought it was very fun if simplistic.

Resogun: Free with PSN+ membership (30 day trial comes with the PS4). Awesome, awesome, awesome eye candy. If you like twin stick shooters (Geometry wars on xbox, stuff like that), or even old school arcade games like Galaga you will really love this. It's free!

Contrast: Watched my wife play it, she loves it. Not my cup of tea, but if you're into that time period and platformers it's a fun trip. It's free! (with PSN+).

Playroom: Lots of fun if you have the camera, the novelty wears off...but it has replay-ability. Looking forward to the add on content from other developers.

Flower: Really relaxing, and a very different experience. It's also not too pricey ($7 on psn store).

DC Universe: Free mmo on a console (I come from Xbox, need I remind), very cool. Especially if you're a DC comics guy (I'm not, Marvel for lifeee). I didn't get to play much, I just got into building the character. I'll try it out later, I'm sure it'll be like every other mmo, but with superheroes. The opening cinematic was sick, however.

All in all, I feel like I got a lot of value. It's still pricey, and if you're not into those games you may wish to wait. I'm an early adopter generally, I love new technology. If you're like me, it's a must have.

1 person likes this.
  16. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Extreme Tech confirmed the PS4's gpu is a HD7870 with two cu's disabled, which is 10% less performance. The Xbone has a HD7790.

benchmark/

17. vator

vator Contributing Member

On my second PS4. the first one died on me the first day I opened it. HDMI port was broken. My impressions of the games...

1. NBA2k14 is amazing
    2. Battlefield 4 is breathtaking. 64 players on Conquest is wow! Maybe the best FPS I've ever played.
    3. Call of Duty Ghosts is disappointing so far in my opinion. I'm still trying to figure it out. I had a 2.27 KD on Black Ops 2 and I'm far under 1.0 so far on this next gen. I'm not the only one either. I see a lot of my friends who've held down KDs over 2 on previous CoD titles struggling with below 1 or right around 1 KDs too.
    4. Haven't had a chance to open and play Madden25 yet. Still in the wrapper.

18. RC Cola

That's not a bad comparison for simplicity's sake (especially since it was a good comparison to use earlier on, when we didn't have actual results). I think I recall seeing some BF3 benchmarks on these GPUs a while back, and I suppose that was a decent indicator of how things might turn out.

Of course it isn't QUITE that simple. Certainly enough customizations on these GPUs to make the comparisons a bit different. XBO's GPU is 53 MHz faster than PS4's GPU. PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5 (@ 176 GB/s), while XBO uses 8GB of DD3 (@ 68 GB/s), plus its ESRAM. PS4 can manage up to 64 compute commands, while XBO can manage 16 (a 7970 can only issue/manage 4). Etc.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So which is better? I don't understand either of y'all.

20. RC Cola

PS4 is more powerful from a technical standpoint. Significantly so IMO (bigger gap than 360/PS3 anyway). They share similar designs (and thus, somewhat similar strengths and weaknesses), but the PS4 just has more/better efficiency for just about everything (XBO has a few minor advantages, such as higher clockspeeds with both the CPU and GPU, but don't think this will really matter much, especially since they seem to reserve more of their resources to OS functions among other things).