1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Lin and Yang: Why Choose One Point Guard When You Can Have Two?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Nov 13, 2013.

1. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

I hope the Rockets do not become the next Knicks if they let Jeremy Lin go so easily after the end of next season.

Hell, I thought the Knicks were the first Rockets - failing to sign an underrated player to a contract and letting him walk back to the Rockets, the team that cut him before he joined the Knicks.

How the cycles of life and consequence come to bite everyone back in the butt.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the issues with this team has nothing to do with the starting pg position. or the back-up pg position either.

3. steady

steady Member

Good read. Thanks.

4. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Cylce of Life: There's a few mumblings that the Suns might be looking to unload Goran Dragic since they now have Eric Bledsoe. Knicks, as of now, look like they are in sorely need of a younger, faster PG. Wouldn't it be the most irony of all if somehow Dragic finds his way back to the Rockets and Lin, back with the Knicks as it should had been if Dragic wasn't so persistent with the 4th yr option, which triggered the whole Lin poison pill contract?

5. steady

steady Member

I agree. Beverley showed again tonight all the reasons why he is important to the team. As did Lin.

6. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

The issue with this team is the starter SG plays the PG role

7. Reach

Reach Member

Lin is destroying Beverley statistically. It must hurt him deeply that he's still stuck on the bench.

8. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

False!!! The issue with this team is that there is no starting SG.

The PG position in this team is 5 deep, and the Rockets are able to field two starting PGs out on the floor every night. Rockets also have a backup SG, but no proper starting SG.

Trade the backup SG for a starting SG. Get it done, Morey!!!

9. torocan

torocan Member

Now you're just trolling. Be nice now! :p

10. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Considered done! you just wait

11. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Thanks for the link. He definitely isn't happy here.

Especially if he's unsure if his coach truly believes in him. As much as McHale tried to sell Lin's move to the second string as a mutual agreement reached after conversations with all parties and point guards involved, a source close to the situation said Lin felt blindsided by the loss of his job.
    "It was a blow to Jeremy, a big blow," the source said, "because he definitely wanted to start.

12. Yellow

Yellow Member

This pretty much sums things up:
    - McHale is a liar, is not straight forward with his players and there was no agreement at first
    - Lin is only happy because he's smart enough to realise Harden is a selfish ball hog who wants to play PG and take his job away from him
    - Lin is getting treated badly once again, I would leave the Rockets as soon as I could if I were him.

1 person likes this.
  13. liunatic

liunatic Member

Not so much that McHale is a liar, rather it's the Rockets PR machine at work. They obviously do not want to advertise any sort of conflict or discord among it's staff and players. The media will end up making the situation much worst than it already is.

14. Lihao

Lihao Member

Great article , thanks for the hard work Jeff. One thing for sure , we've got two good PG :cool:

There's another thing that bothering me, i remembered before the game against Raptors , Codman posted a comment that how ex-rockets Lowry is better than both of our current PG, i'm not saying that is not true, but out of thousands posts here at Cfans each day, that post got picked as post of the day , Is that really suitable? Way to show support your own players before game huh?

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McHale is not an experienced coach but he is trying to make the right decisions. Lin has to adjust - that what great players do - they excel in whatever role they are cast and never pout.

I feel no sympathy for any NBA player. Make it work, you are on the floor. Lin is playing great and is getting his PT. He's getting more minutes than Bev. So who cares who starts?

I think Bev starting was the best thing for Lin - his confidence is higher now than ever. I think being a 6th man frees him to play fast and loose - his best style. He doesn't have to worry about playing well as a starter, just coming in and do his thing.

Let's see how it continues. It seems McHale is giving Lin more free reign and when Harden returns, expect to see a shift. Harden wants to win.

I also think the Rockets want to develop Harden into the next Kobe - which is why they tolerate his iso's so much. They know he is going to screw it up. It's not about that. They know it's part of his education - his growth and development - to constantly be put in those situations so he can learn.

Hopefully now Lin will get his chance to screw up and learn.

Right now, winning isn't everything for these guys - or at least it shouldn't be. Learning is far more important.

16. JBar

JBar Rookie

He's averaging 34.3 minutes. Not bad for a bench player.

17. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

He's started for over half the games.

18. JBar

JBar Rookie

And he's played two games that went to overtime too. His minutes per game will surely go down. But whatever the reason, Lin fans' fears about his lack of playing time have proven unfounded. He's going to get his minutes. Even if he ends up getting five or six fewer minutes per game than last year--say 27--who cares? The key thing is that he is put in a position to succeed and does.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How does coming off the bench let him "play away from Harden"?

As I pointed out in another thread, Harden plays 40 mpg, and Lin plays 32. There is only 8 mpg (25% of his PT) when Lin isn't playing with Harden. That could have been achieved equally easily whether he started or came off the bench.

Staggering Lin and Harden has nothing to do with starting.

20. JBar

JBar Rookie

Actually, I agree with you. Several times on this board I've mentioned that if I was arranging the rotation, I'd usually start Lin and a true 4 and then substitute them for Bev and Asik very early. That gives you a stagger, wherein either Harden or Lin and either Howard or Asik are on the court at all times. (Casspi could typically come in for Howard late in the quarter, but if the twin towers weren't working, they could make that substitution earlier.)

That's what I'd like them to try. But I don't think it's outrageous that Lin comes off the bench either.

The big issue in my mind is that the rotation has to get deeper, keeping players fresher and giving them no excuse not to go all out on D.