1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Should we look to Jeremy Lin to be our closer as opposed to James Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Nov 11, 2013.

?

Should Jeremy Lin be our closer instead of James Harden?

1. Yes, Harden makes me soften.

50.8%
  2. No, Beardsanity > Linsanity.

49.2%
  1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

HTML:

Yep, just like this thread.

2. cdy7197

cdy7197 New Member

This is a guy who wouldn't even let JL finish games last year playing either TD and later PB. And we're discussing whether JL should be the closer? LOL

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the real question is should mchale be allowed to be our closer from the bench, or defer to one of the assistants when it gets to crunchtime

4. langal

langal Contributing Member

Also can't ignore how the Miami Heat EXPOSED him. That was a full 48 minutes of basketball and only happened 2 seasons ago.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lee do you still prefer AB over Lin? :grin:

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So do we ban everyone who voted yes?

7. linsomnia

linsomnia Member

I think for late game situations the PnR between Lin and Harden is devastating.

8. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

yup I agree

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I personally believe that Harden should run the offense until the final two offensive possessions. I have yet to see him do anything consistently on the last play of the game. Lin, however, penetrates very well in the last seconds. It's almost like he's the only guy on the court that ain't tired.

1 person likes this.
  10. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Lin is winning over some fans with his solid play lately and no amount of LOFing would've done that. I hope he continues to show improvement and promise within the scheme of our game plan and force the bickering to die down. I have no doubt that except for the few obstinate idiots who still believe Lin is a scrub with no d, people whether admitting it or not are seeing Lin's potential. For a scrub backup player, his flashes of excellence and clutchness (appropriately) are too numerous to continue to consider a fluke. Now, if McHale says once again that Linsanity was a fluke with all the stars lining up and how any player over their career can do that, etc. I swear I'm gonna go full commando in leading his ousting, lol. I mean, Clutchfans does dictate what really goes down with the Rockets, right? :)

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

How does True Shooting percentage equate to being clutch? Kevin Martin is always one of the leaders in TS% and he's one of the most un-clutch players ever. You can take only safe shots and never take a shot at the end of games and still have a great TS%. Tyson Chandler's TS% was # 3 in the league last season and #1 in the prior year...he's clutch?

TS% is a useful stat but it has nothing to do with being clutch.

If you're that impressed by Lin's .666 TS% after 8 games then you should be estatic about Harden putting up .598, .660 and .600 TS% for each of the past 3 full seasons.

12. Lihao

Lihao Member

dude that was TS% during last 5 minutes of the game...........

13. yummyhawtsauce

Right, because Lin is the same player 2 seasons ago. Also, Heat exposed CP3 as well recently. CP3 is also trash too right? Miami is a monster defensive team and know how to double effectively.

As for Lin playing bad in the playoffs last year. That was 1 game. People seem like to make assumptions set in stone based on such small sample sizes. Lin will overcome this too.

14. Lihao

Lihao Member

check your sarcasm meter

15. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

For me this is just a straight up no, Lin doesn't close, Harden does... unless the guys on the floor decide differently on any given night. It's just a whole lot more fun watching the Rockets play and develop, rather than letting myself get all frustrated over what they "should be doing". I especially don't get this obsession with how the Rockets' lineups and the coaching should somehow cater to building one player's career. Yes, I agree that what's good for the Rockets is good for the Rockets, but there seems to be an inordinate number of ideas that are really only about Lin. Sure, I hope your guy does well, but Harden is not Lin's (your) enemy, and neither are Beverley, Brooks, Howard, McHale, Sampson, the refs, or anybody else who has been the subject of derogatory comments and name calling.

16. aelliott

Ok, fair enough, but same answer.

Under that same criteria Tyson Chandler has a TS% of 91.1 last season. Some more (last 5 min, 5pt diff, min 30 games) from last season:

Kevin Martin 94.4%
    Tristian Thompson 68.7%
    PJ Tucker 71.6
    Dwight Howard 61.7%
    Amir Johnson 69.6%

So, are all of those guys "clutch" and who you want to take shots at the end of games? Of course they aren't. They're just guys that took a very small number of shots during the sampled timeframe.

17. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

I think these guys are "clutch" because someone else did the hard work of creating open shots for them in the clutch. Plus, most of these guys are bigs so their TS% is going to be naturally higher.

What I'm most interested in are shot creators who perform in the clutch at a TS% higher than their normal levels, and have a higher than average TS%.

Lin fits in this category. Harden doesn't. Harden's TS% is significantly lower in the clutch.

18. Lihao

Lihao Member

you know why you getting all those players who took so little shots in your search? because you missed out >=2 FGA ,

19. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Tonight, we are going to 76ers. Let's reload some memory of Lin vs 76ers in NY and why we(Lin fans) called him the 4th quarter man and why we think he's clutch.
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2aDWfs56YoI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. aelliott

Ok, so that means that instead of your ultimate closer being Tyson Chandler, then it's now Spencer Hawes 2013 (.90% TS% on 2.5 shots/game).

BTW the original post says:

JLin was also ranked #13 with TS 64.9% with using the same stats in 2012-2013 with a minimum of 30 games!

But last season Lin only took 33 FGA in 36 games under that criteria so he didn't meet your >= 2FGA.