1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Will the Toyota Center CONSISTENTLY SELLOUT NOW with Dwight Howard in Town???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SSP365, Jul 25, 2013.

1. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Its the 'I just wanna be fat and retire someday' crowd thinking 'im getting sleepy'

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the fans are corporate ticket holders for the most part. the NBA, like the NHL, is a corporate game that priced families out a long time ago. that's why the built bars all over the arena to entertain clients.

if the IRS found a way to kill sports tickets/entertainment as a deduction, the price of tickets would plummet. And that's not just a Houston thing..that's everywhere in the U.S.

3. Yao11

Yao11 Member

It was quite empty throughout the game. I understand that it's a Monday game, but still. I was so disgusted when I saw people filing out after the first OT. Just awful.

4. MadMax

I was at the game too. With my 9 year old and my 13 year old. We stayed through the first OT....and even though I hated leaving, I had to get kids home to go to sleep because they had to be up for school today.

People care. I absolutely care. And I was one of the ones who needed to leave when it went to double-overtime.

Bottom line: these games are sellouts. Even against the effing Toronto Raptors on a Monday night! People in every city deal with kids to put to sleep, school nights, entertaining clients, etc. Nothing unique there. This team is getting as much revenue as it can get from the gate right now. That's good.

5. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Double OTs are uncommon. It was getting late. Can't fault people for going home (even at the end of regulation). Accusing those who left of not caring (or not being "true" fans) is just another example of the kind of douchebaggery that goes on around here.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

This is just one exhibit in the long line of evidence against Rockets fans in Toyota Center. People don't just leave early, they arrive late or just hang out at the bar. They spend more time on their phones than being actively involved with the game.

It is embarrassing and it makes no sense to make excuses

7. Asian Playboy

Asian Playboy Member

Actually it probably just means that Rockets tickets are being sold to families who have normal hours.

I live in LA and while I can only take a stab in the dark, the people who buy tickets to Staples probably aren't all normal 9 to 5ers.

I wonder if arenas have stats on the type of people who buy tickets.

8. MadMax

It's not remotely embarrassing unless you have some self-confidence issues. It's a consumer product that's being bought up. Don't buy into the crap that you have some civic duty to spend an assload of money on tickets for a professional sports team...and that once you do, you have some duty to be SuperFan. It's ridiculous. That's not remotely the market they're even targeting given the price of the tickets and the amenities of the arena.

They're selling out. I promise you, there are just as many folks in the other cities selling out who are just there entertaining clients. And if their arena doesn't have it, I'm sure they'd love to do so at a bar area like those that Toyota Center was built with.

9. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

This is true..

But ppl with money in other cities can be engaged and actively watch the game. In houston its yawwwn unless the guy dunks it. Then time to be quiet again. Its hilarious actually.

These ppl kno nothing about basketball other than dunks look awesome

10. MadMax

yes, there's 5 million in people in houston, texas, none of which know anything about basketball except which dunks they think are pretty.

come on.

this thread was started because someone doubted they'd sell out. they're selling out games on monday nights against toronto for good lord's sake. for a franchise that hasn't won dick in decades.

11. just a word

just a word Member

Someone needs to tell les to tell his team to lower the audience lights and add sound panels. it'll improve the subjective energy level and thus encourage the fans more, as well as the players.

12. mario_v

mario_v Member

They're absolutely selling out even though the arena is almost always half empty. That's my biggest issue. Fans arrive late and leave early.

I wish our fans were more into the games like Warriors or Thunder fans. It's a shame our fans stare at you and give you nasty looks if you stand up and cheer on your team.

13. MadMax

Let's wait until OKC has a team that has only won one playoff series in 16 or so seasons..let's see how enthusiastic they are then.

Warrior fans? Hell, until recently no one talked about Warrior fans. The idea that the Bay Area is some intrinsically enthusiastic NBA market is a relatively new one.

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I can get a deduction for going to nba games. When the hell did this happen. I go to at least a dozen every season. Ain't this a b***h!!!

15. MadMax

Is it a business expense? Are you entertaining customers/clients? I would suggest you speak with your CPA immediately!

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Key phrase.. people with money. Not all 5million ppl in houston

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Houston just isn't a passionate NBA town. A good market -- big and affluent but the crowd just don't get that excited. There are other arenas with very expensive tickets and businessmen entertaining clients, but still a passionate audience. Madison Square Garden is like that, for one. I just think that even the Wall Street guys and their clients really get into the games. And Knicks really haven't been that good for sometime, either.

18. MadMax

You win. There's something inherent about the people in OKC and Dallas that make them far better NBA fans than the same white collar corporate guys that buy tickets here. It has nothing to do with their team's relative success in a season where more teams make the playoffs than don't.

5 games...5 sellouts.

19. MadMax

Holy crap, the Knicks have been around since the dinosaurs. We have the first generations of the Rockets being passed down here. If you grew up in NYC, your granddad loved the Knicks. Just a completely different experience.

20. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

It is what it is...

The social climate of houston will be what it is.. too many factors to overcome. All the players can do is be aware, keep their own energy up, and win.