1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Beverley really better than Lin on Defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 8, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who has been the better defender this season?

1. Beverly

30.0%
  2. Lin

70.0%
  1. James88

James88 Member

You realize the NBA 3pt line is 23.75 ft? It's over 4 ft behind the 3pt line. Next time you watch a game, when a PG is driving to the hoop, see how often the defender's feet are outside the 3pt line guarding someone off the ball.

2. dxdx

dxdx Member

I wasn't referring to the question of whether Lin/Beverley was a better player, but on your comment on the irrelevance of stats. That goes against the whole principle of the Rockets' upper management btw.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Uhh there are a couple thousand minutes of professional basketball that tell us who Jeremy Lin is as a pro if you look at the sum of it all. He's had 4 coaches and had similar results with 3 of them(excluding time with GS)in the end.

If there is some hidden dimension to his game that we haven't seen yet that is only unlocked with a special super coach that turns his career into superstardom overnight than it would probably be one of the greatest surprises we have seen in professional sports and whoever that coach is would have to be the most underrated coach of all time to not have a job right now.

He's defied the odds before so I guess anything is possible but the fact is .... He's the one that has the sample size right now even with multiple coaches to show us he is who he is.... Mchale or no Mchale.

He's a great attacking guard who can finish at the rim, with enough size to play both on the ball and off. Struggles with turnovers and doesn't always make the best decisions with the basketball in traffic when he's trying to create for others. Best when he's looking to score for himself off the pick and roll. Shot is much improved but doesn't get very many catch and shoot opportunities. Defensively he's fairly disciplined, but will never be a defensive stopper one on one.

Why people can't just accept the good bad and the ugly is beyond me. It's time to wake up folks.

4. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Wow well then you must freaking hate Harden and the leagues worst defender. Were you crying over his D? Just admit your bias and move on.

5. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Reggie Jackson is trembling in fear.......

6. howo13579

howo13579 Member

yea Lin was freaking confused and over helped on D last night. He was horrible. In late 4th qtr he looked almost as bad as Harden out there and didn't seem to give a ****.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I can't believe there is actually someone on here arguing that Lin had a better game than Beverley and they brought stats to argue with.:rolleyes:

8. Play07

Play07 Member

You know in a big rockets/Lin fan but yeah you can forget about those stats for (tonight's game) like you said. bev played better defense it's the truth. Lin has to work on his help defense he just gambles, no way you leave a Crawford/collision 4 feet away from you trying to play the passing lanes. Something you just don't do! you stay on your man and let Howard clean that up of they get pass their man. Don't leave your man to be the 3rd person helping, that is a 3 on 1... Which leaves 2 deadly shooters open clippers got plenty of them. Lin plays good D but gambles to much on lanes... Wish I could tell him about it but mcfail and staff should but they are a joke.. It's a easy fix but he has been doing it since last year !

9. rokit

rokit Member

He doesn't need a special super coach, just a normal coach who would let him play through mistakes and not yank him in and out of the game every 6 minutes or so.
    He leads all point guards in FG%, TS%, drawing fouls and is 2nd most efficient P&R ball handler in the league. That alone is a huge improvement from last year.
    Is he prefect player? Of course not,still got a lot of things to work on, but no one knows how good he can be.
    Saying he's is 14 and 4 3rd guard off the bench is ridiculous.

10. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

There is no argument. The stats say what they say. It has nothing to do with what I -- or anyone else -- feel or do not feel.

Jeremy Lin had two games last season with 6 steals. Does that mean he played great overall defense in those games? Not necessarily. And does Lin getting 6 steals mean that the team executed well on defense, as a whole, just because he did well stealing the ball? Not necessarily.

As I said earlier, we probably won't know more until the xRAPM numbers come back at, I think it is, after the season ends. Until then, I think all we have are DRTG and whatever numbers Synergy puts out (at least as far as I'm aware of).

11. J Hard

J Hard Member

Are you workin on a stand up routine? Because this is laughable.
    It's not even close. Look what happened when Bev left out of the game last night when we had the lead. The Clippers went on a game changing run that gave them the lead for good.

Lin better offensive player. Beverly far better on defense.

12. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

The game has two halves to it. Here are what the Plus/Minus figures were for the first half:

Bev = -02
    Lin = +21

For the game, it was this:

Bev = -12
    Lin = +01

Which is to say, Bev was -10 in the second half and Lin was -20. So, Bev was better in the second half than Lin in +/-, for sure. But Lin was still better for the entire game based upon how the team performed with him on the court in the first half.

Games are not confined to one half or single runs. That's why it's important to examine an entire game. And this is one reason, I think, why "Eye Test" remembrances of games can be affected by emotions or things that happen as the game goes on. People can lose sight of what happened earlier in the game, this kind of thing.

The team was better, statistically in the Clippers game last night with Lin on the floor as opposed to Beverley. Despite Beverley's better individual statistics. Again, not my opinion, the opinion of the statistics.

No, I'm not into standup routines. I appreciate them, but they're not my thing, personally.

13. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

go review the game and watch other stuffs you usually dont watch. transition, rotation, box out, etc. he did very good 1on1 defense that's why you think he is good but in other aspects he did not do very well and lead to more opponent scores. I just finished reviewing first Q and already count 7 points on him. did not box out, miss rotation in transition, did not funnel well in PNR let ball handler go middle, all of above lead to 2 dunk 1 open 3 in 6 mins. I'll go on review it but I can expect Lin did better in these areas that's why he end up better stat.

1 person likes this.
  14. ILoveWhiteGirls

Both mediocre PG's that will probably contribute pass the 1st round, nothing more.

15. ILoveWhiteGirls

These two bozos couldn't even contained Steve Blake for god-sake. How embarrassing is that???

16. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

it was Haren who guarded blake most of time genius.

17. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

I agree.

18. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

finished 1st Q. Lin's positioning is good, did not step up and face hug, maybe CP3 know he is fast so did not try to blow by him, after several set play they did not get good result so CP3 played PNR twice on Lin and as expect Lin got picked off both times. 1st time Lin did a smart spin move under the screen so the screener cant roll and Asik picked up CP3, defense is not broken so CP3 chose to pass the ball to the weak side. the other one Lin chose the right play ice, funneled cp3 right into Asik, the PNR is wasted. CP3 got nothing from Lin in the 1st Q so and Rox made a reversal and took the lead.

19. Sen89

Sen89 Member

On offense:
    Lin: B+
    Bev: C+

On defense:
    Lin: B-
    Bev: A-

20. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

When Lin came in for Beverley last night, I think the score was 18-8 for the Clippers. By the end of the quarter, the score was 26-22 Rockets. Meaning, Houston apparently went on an 18-4 first-quarter run once Lin came into the game.