1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Managed Expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Nov 9, 2013.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

For whatever reason, Rocket fans have the expectation that every player on the roster must be perfect at everything or they are worthless. The team cannot miss a shot, have a turnover, have a bad game, lose a game, lose 2 games, get injured, etc. without an explosion of outrage. I am not sure how or why perfectionism has become the mindset, but posters need to manage their expectations and understand what is is a reasonable fan reaction and what is not.

The Rockets can and will lose multiple games in a row this season. This is GOING to happen. EXPECT for it to happen. UNDERSTAND that this is the normal for every basketball team and the 2013-2014 Rockets are no exception. This should not indicate we need to make trades. This should not indicate we need a new coach. This should not mean we need to make major rotational changes.

Players will have multiple bad games in a row where opposing coaches will highlight weaknesses in their game and they will look like total scrubs for brief stints of the season. Players will miss multiple open shots in a row. Players will blow dunks and layups. There is a word for this. They call it a slump. Every player ever has had a slump. Expect for it to happen. Know that when it happens, that it is normal and does not meant the player needs to be traded.

If you constantly expect perfection you are going to be disappointed all the time. STOP DOING IT.

The reality here is that Howard and Harden are here to stay for the next four years. You may absolutely despise Howards antics or Harden's lazy defense, but these two are who we are for the next four years. If you cannot come to terms with that, then I have to ask why are you even here? All the role players will come and go, coaches will come and go but Harden and Howard will be constants. They are the Houston Rockets, the Houston Rockets are them.

With that said, it is more likely than not that Howard will continue to miss free throws at an abnormally high rate and his post up game will always be ugly, resulting in a lot of turnovers. Do you know why this is okay? Because Howard rebounds the basketball in a way that just about no one else in the league can. Because Howard's defensive presence and ability to cover the limitations of our perimeter defenders is unparalleled in the NBA. That is why he is here, not to hit free throws and wow us with his post game. We have dominated the rebounding game so far this season, just absolutely crushed it and that is how you win basketball games.

It is more than likely James Harden will continue to play embarrassingly lazy defense and will continue to dominate the ball (what fans have incorrectly labeled ISO ball). This is going to happen. Why it happens, who knows? Maybe it is conditioning, maybe it extends his career for 2-3 years? I don't know and I don't care. What I do know is that James Harden scored 35 points against the Lakers with 9 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 steals, with only 3 turnovers. He has a 25 PER for the season and is scoring 27ppg on 48% shooting. We can look at him completely missing a sneaking Steve Blake cutting to the basket until we are blue in the face, but it doesn't matter. James Harden is not here for his defense, he is here for his offense. What matters is we are fifth in offensive efficiency (points/possession) and we haven't even looked all that good. This is because of James Harden.

Harden and Howard are superstars, but that does not mean they do not have glaring weaknesses in their games. They are superstars because are elite in certain parts of the game that cannot realistically be replaced. They will be coddled, and they will be give leniency in a way that no one else on the team will. Is it fair? Probably not, but that is just the way it is. Accept it, grit your teeth and move on. It sucks that Jeremy Lin is being scapegoated for our losses. I really do feel bad for him. Our losses really do have little to do Lin, but the role players on this team are going to be held to a much much higher standard than the stars are, because they are replaceable. Every role player, every supporting piece must perfectly complement the strengths and weaknesses our stars, or else that is a weakness that can be exploited by opposing teams. It is essential that the PG and SF are high energy great defenders who can cover for Harden's lazy defense. It is essential to have a PF who is a dynamic shooter/scorer to cover for Howard's shortcomings (its clear Asik is not going to work).

Manages your expectations fans. Know what can change and what will never change. It will make you a better poster, it will make you less angry, and it will help you enjoy the game more.

Go Rockets.

8 people like this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I agree with all of that. I expected some adversity and struggle early on.

We still will probably wins games at a 2 to 1 ratio.

I don't care if we lose tonight, but it would be disheartening to see them play so lifeless again. Especially considering they are all rape victims.

3. Gil

Gil Member

Good post. A lot of people seem to forget this team is still very young and a lot of our crucial players are only a couple of years into their careers.

Why everyone expects Harden, Parsons, Lin, Beverley, Jones etc to be a finished article early in their careers confuses me. Hell, even Dwight deserves a pass as his new teammates are still trying to build chemistry with him and he's still finding his feet here. The sky is falling attitude on here after every loss is beyond pathetic. I expect it from LOF's who usually have an agenda but even vets were participating in the over the top chaos after the loss on Friday.

I mean surely the years of getting the 14th pick every draft hasn't already been forgotten so soon?

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Great post OP. Repped.

5. Play07

Play07 Member

Great post, as a fan with knowledge of the the current organizations situationwhat. You're right H & H are not going anywhere role players can be replaceable so this team is going to go as far as they can take them. If you don't mind I would like to know your expectations of HOWARD & HARDEN & far you feel this team can go with them in the 4 years to come ?

& Howard is on a 3yr contract, he can opt out on his 4th (player option )
    Harden is on a 5yr contract

6. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

I like the part on the expectations.

However, there are at least two ways to lose. If you fight and lose, I'm fine with it. If you fight on one end and not much on the other, I think the fans have the right to rant.

Especially, if the aim of the team is to fight for a championship, they'd better plug the holes while they have time now to stop the leaks before they become habits.

And those supposed stars and team leaders need to step up on this front and lead by example.

Get ready to play each team -- bring the heart of a champion if they want to fight for a champ.

1 person likes this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This team will be in the hunt for the next four years.

Matchups, luck, injuries, officiating will all determine how far they go.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

53 wins this season
    my 2 cents

9. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I've been saying this since we got Dwight. It will take some time for everything to blend together. I'm telling you, in a month or two, this team will be close to firing on all cylinders or will be to the point where we can actually see what they can do. We need to give it time regardless though.

10. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

Good Stuff OP! Repped!

11. coffeelover665

Well, this clipper loss hurt less then the White Mamba dagger 3, so that's a plus I guess

12. Woohoo777

Woohoo777 Member

Well said! Repped!

13. langal

langal Contributing Member

Don't agree with " the role players on this team are going to be held to a much much higher standard than the stars are "

Shouldn't be that way. Especially if one turns out to be a diva and the other starts morphing into Melo-WEST. How are you going to get better if you avoid the albatross in the room?

Despite being a little pissed off right now though, I think things will get better. Our two "the mans" are better than that.

14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Finally a great post among all the garbage being posted at the garm.

We will be ok in a few more games.

15. Grinds

Grinds Member

Would be disappointing. 56+

16. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

I expected a few rough patches. I'm feeling comfortable at 55+ Wins. Although, I do expect some major trades as the deadline nears.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I expect the Rockets are going to lose several of these games coming up in this next stretch of games. I'm okay with it, though. I do think the Rockets would be a better team early in this season without Dwight. But, in the long run, they will be better with Dwight. I still don't think this is a championship team, though.

18. Dunvegan

Dunvegan Member

Good post

Clearly written, timely, and wise. Thanks very much for offering your perspective.

19. muhaha

muhaha Member

Great post. This is only 7 games into the season. The team still need time to gel. Even the championship team will not win every single games. Let's just hope everyone learn from their mistakes

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

A guy misses a game winning shot.... he'll hit it next time...

Someone's man goes off.... hey he got a hot hand, it happens....

growing pains on transitional defense... its a work in progress....

someone is getting paid millions and supposed to be a team leader, yet doesn't put in the effort... people got a right to b****....

I appreciate the op and I do think this board gets overly critical and negative... but let's not bury our head in the sand when the issue is lack of effort or shear laziness...

just my 2 cents....