1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Beverley really better than Lin on Defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 8, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who has been the better defender this season?

1. Beverly

30.0%
  2. Lin

70.0%
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

LOL hilarious the selectivity of stat use for the Chris Paul anomaly game folks.

I have my own. When Lin starts against Chris Paul, -27. Beverly starts against Chris Paul, -12.

2. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Daryl Morey thinks Patrick Beverley should be starting, that is literally the only thing you need to know.

3. davek

davek Member

Not to take anything away from Bev but he's just a decent avg defender...if he's any better than Lin on D its extremely marginal...JLin is a better play maker and an offensive threat...just being wasted on the bench...doesn't make much sense at all. The only downfall in Lin game is he's TO prone...however the signs are all there he's improving.

JLin upside is soo much greater than Bev...its sad its not being utilized. I don't know what more we can get from Bev from what I've been seeing....I think we've seen the best of bev already and to me that just not enough.

However the PG issue is not the main problem...I truly believe it's harden. He needs to improve in his D just by simply, "trying" and stop shooting bricks when you're off!!!!

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Here we are!

5. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Clear case where stats dont show context. Im sure those stats paint the entire picture to you. Im assuming you havent watched Beverly play at all. Just like you use +/- in this game to try to prove your point that Lin played better than Beverly tonight. If you watched the game then you should already know that Beverly was our best player all night.

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

You claim you want what's best for the team and yet think Lin should start? Hilarious. It's pretty obvious Lin is much more effective and productive coming off the bench while Harden gets rest so they aren't playing simultaneously.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

You want to waste Lin's playmaking skills and offensive production? Then please keep starting him so we can watch him pass to Harden and space the floor.

8. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Or we could ask Harden to actually play a little more balanced and do what he was doing in the first half tonight, which was not trying to be the hero and take a ton of shots and instead, pass the ball. Getting the rest of the team involved isn't a bad thing and if Harden is willing to share a little more and let Lin run half of the plays, then Lin could co-exist with him just fine and we might actually win some of these games.

#148 ed_tx, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  9. davek

davek Member

I don't want anything. That was my opinion. There are other players on the floor...i think you should google basketball 101.

10. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Unfortunately, we don't. And here's why.

Lin DRTG vs LAC tonight = 101.9
    Bev DRTG vs LAC tonight = 115.9
    Team DRTG vs LAC tonight = 110.2

So, for the 3rd consecutive full game in which both Lin and Beverley played, Lin had the superior Defensive Rating once again.

Here are their Defensive Ratings for the season:

Bev = 099.3
    Lin = 099.5

Net Ratings for tonight:

Lin = +07.7
    Bev = -16.8

11. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Tell me how the team has done since Lin has moved to a bench player? Oh right zero wins. Much more productive? Lin had his least amount of minutes, scored 10 under his average, and the Rockets lost Big...at home to a clips team that cant beat anyone other than the Rocks hilarious indeed.

12. Hak34

Hak34 Member

And we all know that Lin has been ijr most cosistantly good player all year. Entire picture is below in phislammas post. Please refer to that next time you want to trump...clear defensive upgrade when talking about bevs. Lol

13. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

You can show all the stats you like, just go watch Bev and Lin play and it's pretty clear who is the better defender.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The worst thing about the hardcore Lin fans is they are usually smart enough to manipulate even the worst of arguments by cherry picking and manipulating stats.

Even though as usual Lin wasn't the only one to blame, the Fact is Jeremy Lin was about as bad as any player was in the 3rd quarter tonight with his turnovers and lack of ability to run a functional NBA offense hurt a team already lacking leadership on the court when he was trying to provide a spark offensively. I generally root for Lin and the think he's a great inspiration,person, and he belongs in this league in a role similar to the one Mchale is trying to make him fit in, but I just wish people would just realize who Jeremy Lin is....the good, the bad, and the downright ugly.

The sooner his fans wake up and smell the roses that Lin is not a superstar player and never will be, the better off everyone will be and then maybe down the line he will finally settle into a functional role that creates long term stability for him as an NBA player.

The problem with Lin from the moment he wore a Rockets jersey coming off of linsanity was expectations both on himself and from his fans. That 3 week span of hype became both the best and the worst thing to ever happen to his basketball career. I really hope that things turn around and stabilize for Jeremy Lin. He deserves a stable NBA career at the very least.

15. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Lin has been excellent on the whole this season. He deserves better treatment. That I think is all anyone is saying. No more, no less. But you keep erecting strawman arguments to keep yourself feeling important.

16. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Stats exist, particularly advanced stats, in order to correct the faulty "Eye Test" method.

Now, we won't really know everything, I don't think, until that Net Rating stuff and On Court/Off Court stuff gets converted into adjusted RAPM data. I think that helps to work some of the kinks out of the data.

However, if you will recall a recent piece done on ClutchFans, it included data about Lin and Bev's ORTG and DRTG. This is the data, and this is the kind of data that is used by people like Morey to analyze players.

I didn't create the data, I'm just conveying it.

Last year, Lin had a negative net On Court/Off Court rating. Which is to say, the (Team ORTG Lin On Court - Team DRTG Lin On Court) < (Team ORTG Lin Off Court - Team DRTG Lin Off Court). Or to put it another way, the team was better with Lin off the court.

Here's what those numbers look like this year so far:

Lin = +12.6
    Bev = -07.1

What all of this means is that the team has performed substantially better with Lin on the court than with Beverley on the court, regardless of individual statistics.

17. dxdx

dxdx Member

wow, ladies and gentleman, here's the winning comment for the night.

Would love to see Morey's reaction.

1 person likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Uhhh it's a Strawman argument that his expectations are unrealistic and he needs stability in his nba career?????

Also I keep doing anything cause I rarely post about Lin. Not worth it usually .... Just felt like I had something to add in tonight .... Anyways thanks for reminding me why I stay away from it in the first place.

19. joe101

joe101 Member

Is it like saying just look at the technicals, fundamentals don't mean jack?

20. davek

davek Member

The more I see Bev play the more I'm actually becoming concerned. His PG skills seem to be extremely limited the more I see him play.....time will only tell. He's definately high energy when it comes to D...but it doesn't seem like a productive type of high energy...
    Maybe this is not the best analogy...but to me he reminds me of boxers who taunts, showboat and do all these silly moves to show off their speed and agility...but nothing comes from it...and gets taken out by a skilled boxer....if that makes any sense...

1 person likes this.