1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What are you freaking talking about??? Beverley is the perfect fit for Dwight. He actually plays perimeter defense so Dwight can sink into the paint for protection & rebounds, and on offense he gets the hell out of the way for Dwight and Harden… He pretty much does the same thing for us as Rafer Alston did for the Magic in their Finals run. Ok, I get it… I'm being kinda sarcastic…. I know there are 20 other starting PG's who are better in the league than Bev, but the facts are pretty basic facts.

Fact is… Dwight needs space in the paint. Not to operate in the post but to create opportunistic looks at dunks, offensive rebounds, and put backs. Both Lin and Bev do an OK job on offense(Bev gets out of the way, Jeremy can penetrate and get out of the way too), but defensively our guards make life hell for Dwight in the post having to cover up for so many mistakes.

The problem Jeremy is having now is setting up Dwight when he drives to the lane. I don't know what the deal is because he was OK at setting up Asik at times last year, and was really good at setting up Chandler in NY, but Lin and Harden both need to do something to create better chemistry with Dwight.

2. pacmania

pacmania Member

So going by your logic , Mchale should keep his job even if he is doing a crappy job because no one else is available? Stan Van Gundy has already been mentioned , you can count on Morey to use his analytics to find a good coach. The only problem is , there were no numbers to support the Mchale hiring.

3. dmoneybangbang

This team is still figuring out how to play together. This team still has quite a few young players (less than 4-5 years of experience). I don't anyone would turn away a HOF coach from stepping in but let's be realistic here.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

So what you are saying is that we should have AB start...:)

I do agree with the premise that Bev and Howard do not work well...but other teams are gonna use this tactic much more...by packing the paint. Similar to what the Spurs did against Miami; our outside shooters were totally off...And while that didnt help, the Rockets would not cover the perimeter at all the entire night. And funny that in the end it was that 3 that cost em the game.

Forget the way they scored...thought MDA drew up a really good play...it was the terrible decisions on offense that cost us the game. Inbounding to Howard? Having Beverly inbound the bball? Not having Garcia, Parsons or Caspi not doing so..not having Howard roll to the rim for a lob pass...Forcing Harden to iso away from the rim towards the inbounder...

5. dmoneybangbang

....so 6th in the league and 5th in pt differential is crappy? Is that your logic?

6. basketballrock

cmon mchale

why

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lack of a better option is not a reason to hold onto a bad coach.

Charles just named two better coaches in Karl and Hollins, two proven coaches...then there are the Van Gundy's...there are better options out there...

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I would jump on the option for Karl to come here...He would find a way for this team to finally do something...And we would break the Seattle curse and might actually win games because of offensive plays

9. dmoneybangbang

First of all, you just keep ignoring my responses and moving the goal posts.

Taking a gamble on a coach just because you are unhappy being 4-2 and 5th in pt differential seems foolish.

But do they want to come here? Is changing our entire coaching staff in the first qtr or first half the season a good idea? Again, I am completely open to a better coach but you are throwing out names like you have some sort of personal knowledge of these coachs

10. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

It still was inexcusable how wide open they were, Rox just started playing D in the second half that's why the fg% went down. These slow starts are maddening and show lack of focus and commitment. Rox are pretenders at this point until the effort raises a few notches.

11. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Well put. McHale seems to think that Dwight is Duncan/Dream/Shaqe.
    This one is on the coaching. Having Lin practice with the 2nd team probably didn't help.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

20-20 hindsight. But seriously. McHale has so many opportunity to call timeout and reset. See how they lined up for that last play, call timeout and set our defense.

I'm starting to think he doesn't call timeout in these last few critical situations because he doesn't know what to tell the player exactly to do (or maybe they just ignore him).

Someone mentioned George Karl. I think I like that option

13. adobo

adobo Member

I don't want to knee jerk but for some reason in this game the coaches annoyed the hell out of me especially in the 4th qtr.

14. howo13579

howo13579 Member

You can coach this team and Rocket probably has the same record or better. Right now this team is run purely by talent. Other than that we've got nothing. The players have no heart. The coach has no brain.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

LOL… ok then…. nice talking to you. Thanks for the laugh.

16. dmoneybangbang

Of course the Roxs are pretenders at this point, lets revisit this after the playoffs. What's inexcusable is complaining about the rockets current situation. We got the good kind of problems.

17. dmoneybangbang

Hyperbole..... that's a great way to win an argument.......

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

It's clear we need a tough-minded, experienced coach that's willing to hold players accountable, have a high level of basketball acumen to lead and educate what's still a very young team, and have a high level of understand of the basketball meta game (matchups, team strengths/weaknesses, in-game adjustments, substitutions).

JVG or SVG would be great fits. Bringing in Camby as some sort of an assistant or player-coach would also be wise.

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The thing which has frustrated me the most - and something at the end of last season I thought an offseason together would fix - is our non-existent offensive sets.

We could be getting such easier baskets.
    Harden would have to run around screens to get the ball sure - but overall he'd be exerting a lot less effort then trying to play hero ball all the time.

It still baffles me when I see Harden drive to the ring (like at the end of the game tonight where he had the floater that rimmed out) all he needed to do was put it a foot to the side of the ring and Howard slams that down. Increasing our lead and securing a W.
    They need to be on top of Harden and his little 1on5 plays. He is phenomenal no doubt. And I love him. But that is one simple play where if he isn't looking for himself he makes a homerun for his teammate.

And I'd also grab Chandler by the scruff of the neck next game and tell him if he pump fakes it at the 3 line with a defender 5 feet away from him - he is getting pulled out of the game.

20. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

We need a better coach, and a better 6th man like jamal crawford