1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Parsons shot so flat this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's pressing. In my opinion, so is Harden. Last season, we were an overachieving team that was the youngest in the league. Getting Dwight completely changed that perspective. As the two players most involved in getting Howard, they feel "on the spot" to produce, so naturally, it's impacted their games. Of course, so has adapting to playing with Howard. Given time, I think both players will be more consistent, and will return to the level of play of last season.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I buy this. His shot seems on target but long. #TWSS

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

We clearly had no legs on our outside shots the last 2 games (28 and 22% lol), we only really beat Portland because Dwight overwhelmed them and Harden was just on everywhere inside the arc.

4. torontoman

torontoman Member

I like both guys (in a non-homo kind of way), but I honestly think Casspi coming in and playing at the level he has caught CP by surprise and put some extra pressure on him.

5. Play07

Play07 Member

i really dont want to play garcia too much want him to be healthy for playoffs, if covington shot is falling to start dleague nothing from with him getting a few mins here and there see if he can shoot with better percentage, know the rockets dont like playing rookies but its just a thought, parsons shot will increase but could others be wetter

6. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

agree, unfortunately.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

His shot has always been flat and he is extremely over-rated out here. A good glue guy but no better than 4th best option on offense for a contender.

8. kastuul

kastuul Member

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Casspi hasn't played a single minute as a small forward

10. Grinds

Grinds Member

Parson's shot has always been flat... not necessarily because he shoots on the way down because his FTs are flat too. I believe he's just having a little slump. If he has this same 5 game production in the middle of the season, it would barely be noticeable. Let's give him 2 more weeks before we declare he's fallen off.

11. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I believe he's just in a slump. His added muscle may also be a contributing factor. Either way I think this issue will go away with time.

That said, I do get the feeling that Parsons may have let his newfound "celebrity" status get to his head a bit.

He will never be a true star; the talent and athleticism just isn't good enough. Great role-player and 3rd/4th option on offense is his ceiling.

12. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

I believe it is a slump, coupled with the fact that his outside jumpshots are being taken in the spots he is weakest in.

He has rarely had the opportunity(whether it's his own fault or not), to take the outside jumpers in his sweet spots, which are corner 3 and top of the key.

13. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Yeah, this here. He totally has that "trying too hard" look about him. He needs to calm down and just play.

1 person likes this.
  14. alethios

alethios Member

I would agree if that's all we want from him, but he contributes in a lot of other ways as well. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

15. bmd

bmd Member

His shot matches his ass.

16. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I think I only saw Parsons successfully make 1 of these 3 on 1 fastbreaks. Been thinking about this NEW Chandler for awhile and I think the reason he doesn't pass is because he can't pass in transition, like literally does not have the skills to do it, he would've fumble it. I think his hope is that if he misses one of his trailing teammates will rebound and put it back in. And if that doesn't happen, and opposing team gets the rebound, some of his teammates will be far back enough to get back on defense.

17. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Haven't watched a game this year due to comcast but I can't help but believe Parsons had an equivalent offseason to what Jeremy Lin went through last year. Lin was all over the place and didn’t get enough time to work on improving his game and the results showed early in the season. I’m thinking Chandler focused too much on the off the court stuff and creating a brand for himself outside of basketball that he didn’t put in the work to improve this offseason. I’d rather Chandler focus on bball instead of fashion and being ridiculously good looking (no homo). Young players like him and lin have room to grow their game but that has to happen early in their careers during the offseason. I hope Chandler refocuses next offseason.

18. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

That's what I'm talking about. He needs to focus on improving his game in the offseason and put aside fashion, etc....

He's not good enough to coast on pure talent.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is true. The lack of strong glutes means he cannot elevate from a standing position straight up, leading to a flat shot.

20. basketballholic

This is pretty accurate. But because he is holding the ball and not letting it fly and getting rid of his off hand, his shot is flat. What you said is what is causing his shot to be flat...and therefore not very accurate.

Parsons' jumper is the one thing I've been worried about the most. Here's another guy...that works out like crazy...plays ball year round...and he hasn't gotten his jumper fixed. It's good enough that he'll blow hot and cold with it....as he has done for years..going back to Florida...and undoubtedly back to high school as well. But...he could be sooooo much better if he would work with a shooting coach and reform his mechanics just a little bit. But here he is in his 3rd season...and all he's done is cement his mechanical problems...and make them more difficult to modify.

Once again, I do not understand professional teams paying these guys millions (or in Parsons' case thousands) of dollars and depending on them to put the ball in the hole to win games not putting more emphasis on helping these guys become better shooters. For all the technology and analytics the Rockets do.......who is responsible for analyzing these guys' shooting form and helping them change it??????? We've got 3 guys with lacking jump shots...Parsons, Jones, and DMo...that all need to be fixed.