1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dolphins-Martin-Incognito story

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ferrari77, Nov 4, 2013.

1. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

You know Incognito isn't gonna go away quietly. He's taking everyone with him. Martin is about to get paid.

3. Nook

Nook Member

As a former college athlete, I disagree with you. Many players and coaches have NO respect for Martin. He is a grown man and became someone's b****. No one will come out and say it, but that is why none of the Dolphins stood up for Martin. He will never be respected by his peers again and will never be counted on because he is weak.

And no... I don't agree with Incognito and I do feel for Martin.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

A talented offensive tackle whose biggest problem is the fact they were picked on by a s**t-for-brains loser like Incognito will not be out of work for long.

5. Major

Major Member

It is interesting, though, that as far as the athletes and coaches go, the ones willing to put a name to their comments tend to support Martin for the most part (there are a few notable exceptions, of course). The ones that are saying he's not very tough seem to primarily do it anonymously - amusing that people whining about a lack of toughness aren't willing to stand up for their beliefs.

6. Nook

Nook Member

What happened is not going to help his career. He will not get the respect of his teammates or coaches. He may stick around but it will be in spite of what happened. I do not assume a long career.

7. Major

Major Member

This is the same stuff that came up with Manti Teo and people saying he'd be shunned and mocked and whatever else for being so gullible. At the end of the day, if he performs, it will be forgotten because a smart locker room will see a guy who helps them win. If he doesn't perform well, then he'll be out of a job.

8. Major

Major Member

Martin will certainly need to be in the right kind of lockerroom. If he's playing with a no-nonsense commanding QB like Manning or Brady that just wants to win, and he's helping keep them upright, you can be pretty sure those QB's are going to make sure he's taken care of. Problem in Miami seems to be in part that there's nobody like that there that can command that level of respect. The fact that Incognito said the OLine wouldn't protect Tannehill unless he got them all jet skis tells you how much they value winning as opposed to getting paid.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Incognito seems like a Bill Romanowski clone -- only bigger.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Anyone that performs at a high level will get second chances, look at Little, he killed people. However, Martin will not get the benefit of the doubt he would otherwise get. This kind if scandal can ultimately cost coaches their jobs, and other coaches won't want to deal with a player viewed as a problem.

I feel for Martin, he didn't ask for any of this.

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Thing is he wasn't performing well. And he was a high draft pick. Now you add soft and snitch to his resume. Well, let's say he better become Pro-Bowl caliber to gain the respect of his future teammates.

Look, I completely disagree with what Incognito did. You can toughen up players in a different way, while also building team comraderie. I guess that was his way, which was wrong.

But Martin shouldn't have snitched. He should have confronted Incognito like a man. That doesn't mean he should have physically confronted him (fight). Simply walk up to Incognito like a man and try to talk it out. If Incognito wants physicality then, now that's when you can bring in upper management and higher ups.

Both sides went about it the wrong way. And now it's a mess.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Romo was actually a 'talented" maniac, which is why he kept his job a little longer ... Incognito is nothing special on the field, and is as expendable off of it. He has made his own bed.

13. Buck Turgidson

How do you know that didn't happen?

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think if Martin shows he has talent he'll make it in teh league. Maybe not with the Dolphins because it seems like their priorities aren't in line with anything regarding protecting their QB. They thought Bryant McKinnie was worth trading for, and if that guy has value, then Martin will be able to walk on and win a job somewhere.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Blame the victim? Some players criticize Jonathan Martin

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Richie Incognito's ugly--and sad--story going from bullied to bully: <a href="http://t.co/D51HkUKRSR">http://t.co/D51HkUKRSR</a></p>&mdash; Bruce Feldman (@BFeldmanCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS/statuses/398083747095920640">November 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#155 J.R., Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  16. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

WTF did the end of that article talking about Incognito's car have to do with anything? Its one thing to say he was spotted inspecting it, but its another to go on and on about how it was purchased in CA and shipped to Florida.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

This is why I don't care for most athletes in general, because alot of them are BONAFIDE morons. If you did what Incognito did in 99% of other professions, you'd be fired right after the last insult or threat came out of your mouth. It's one thing if we are two friends joking, but if we are not on good terms or have comfortable relationship ... if you call me the n *word, half-breed, a pos, and threaten to kill my mother. That makes me as an individual and probably most other people in the world feel the need to carry a gun. In fact, that's not even hazing, that's just being an utter d!ck.

Oftentimes, I think athletes (lesser intelligent ones) tend to forget that Football, like anything else in life that pays a regular salary is a business, first and foremost. You get paid millions of dollars to play a game for kids, especially little boys. Moreover, I agree being on an NFL football team is like a fraternity, still it's like any other business in the world filled with high-consumption and self-interested mercenaries (like most people) ... which is why players across the landscape of sports leave their respective teams in droves via free agency or trades ... for better opportunity or a better situation. Most of all, like any other business, I do have the option of walking away from any situation or circumstances I find undesirable.

Awhile ago in reference to the fraternizing nature between teammates in regards to the NBA, I know I've seen both talk Stephen A. Smith and Bomani Jones talk about how NBA players on the same team are sometimes NOT and NEVER WILL BE the best of friends or even a team-guy (off the field). These scenarios were mostly in reference to Kobe Bryant and teams were superstar players didn't necessarily get along or participate in team activities (but the fraternity atmosphere has been alot less impactful in the NBA, because it is a more individualistic sport). I have criticized and disliked Kobe for many reasons, that is not one of them. You are free to not participate in non-mandatory team activities and recreation, because they have very minimal to actual effect on your game, if you are not wired to be so involved in such things. That's one of the things, I actually like about Kobe Bryant and Barry Bonds ... both are more or less loners, but they are the greatest level of talents and high work ethic players that have ever played in professional sports. So obviously one does not need to be consumed with the social atmosphere of the team to improve one's playing ability. I will be glad the day that people understand that everyone is not made to be a robotic or near-robotic conformist ... there are people who are non-conformist that aren't the greatest group people in the world, but outstanding at their work performance and skills.

Another situation involves lifestyle differences, I know some pranks and hazing can get a bit risque and controversial or involve players in out right debauchery (going to strip clubs, participating in threesomes, sex toys, cross-dressing, getting drunk, or deflowering groupies/virgins). I know if a player is very religious, I doubt they'd want to participate in activities they see as encouraging or involving themselves into sins or transgressions. Everyone on the team is not a consummate, immoral hooligan ... people who live a straight-edge... straight-laced lifestyle...religious or not. You have to be respectful of that, regardless of that person's demeanor or even general performance at work.

I also want reference the Dez Bryant-Roy Williams situation, where Bryant refused to carry Williams's bags as a rookie ... and sent a clear message that he was there to take his job, not be his friend. One player has become of the most exciting elite wide receivers in the league, while the other is mostly regarded as a bust. I know Dez can be short-tempered, immature, and cantankerous at times, but the kid works his tail off and has desire to be the "best" wide receiver in the league. Dez actually stood up, stands up for himself and speaks up about thing(probably by the same people who think that Martin was a "wuss" or violated the team code, yet he's been criticized in the past and present). You are damned if you .... damned if you don't . . . in these situation ... literally. I'll even go back to the Michael Westbrook -Stephen Davis fight, just a simple mocking of man's sexuality can be very touchy . . . Hazing and insults can be fun, but it can crossed the line and cause someone to react violent or not take so lightly.

Random knucklehead: "Martin should've been a man about stood up and challenged Incognito." For the sake of the argument, let's say Martin stood up himself and clocked Incognito right in the jaw hard enough to smash it to bits. Here are the comments that would ensue...

Random Dolphins' fan: "Martin crossed line by hitting Incognito for simply using racial slur and a little messing around ... you are supposed to be brothers, while also being thick-skin men ... you are supposed to be able to take a joke."

Unrevealed local beat writer: Martin's loner tendencies is becoming more and more destructive to the team's chemistry, along with his mediocre performances on the field. His overreaction has cost the Dolphins a vital piece to their offensive lines.

Random NFL fan: I can't believe the NFL drafts, these p#ssies ... what kind of guy slugs another man in the face after mild hazing or few jokes."

Random NFL fan: Josephine Martin, please go female soccer. Your teammates might actually be able to loan you a tampon.

Random former NFL veteran: You can't hit you teammates like that, man. We are all team, here ... that's a low blow in my book."

18. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Was thinking the same thing. I think the author is trying to paint a picture about Icognito.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Did anyone not expect that the Incognito side would not blame the Dolphins management. Infact that most likely is what happened. Most rookies are assigned a mentor or a big brother. That big brother is supposed to help mold you and shape you as an athlete and help instill the values of the organization in you. Martin clearly a more educated and intellectual dude was paired up with a total meathead. Maybe the goal of this pairing is exactly whats coming out now: that Incognito was asked to toughen up this Martin kid.

Incognito can be described as a "Stiffler"...someone that always just acts like a jerk, and is mentally immature. However with that being said, he is one BAMF on the field... The coaches hoped to use Incognito to mold Martin into a more tough minded athlete and drive him to be more mentally tough.

Looking at this from a psychology perspective, there is no doubt in my mind that Martin was someone that was clearly bullied as a young person; and he must have really been tormented. This harassment must have happened as a young player, highschool and even through college...He most clearly didn't expect this line of harassment to continue in a professional setting like an NFL locker room. This could clearly explain why Martin didnt keep this in house and lost trust with coaches and other teammates. He most likely felt he was re-living his childhood life, and the only way of coping with this stress was running away from everyone.

20. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Even if this is true, I'm sure they didn't mean for him, nor instruct him, to leave voicemails riddled with racial slurs and threats to the personal safety of him and his family. Sorry, this is not a "Code Red" situation, and there's no Jack Nicholson here.