1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anyone else ever felt inadequate in college compared to high school

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, Nov 5, 2013.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

I actually kinda regret deciding to go to a competitive school. My GPA sucks here, and I'm afraid I won't be competitive enough to land internships or jobs (my field you need internships). Hell, even with internships and all that stuff, I don't think I'll get a job.

I can't transfer, because transferring to an easier school would disappoint EVERYBODY.

Honestly, I wish I was a bit stupider (or my sister was a helluva lot smarter). Than I wouldn't have to go to school and could do whatever I want.

2. likestohypeguy

No. I came in and performed well right away. Deans list, honor society, top of the curve in all my math & science classes anyway. It was all somehow more suited to my strengths, and I almost found it easier.

Maybe too easy, because it all went downhill from there.

:eek:

3. supdudes

supdudes Member

I'm a pre-med.

But all my life I've learned that when you've given it all, the result should be something you're proud of.

Spiking my cortisol levels because I missed a few questions on an exam I'm bound to forget is detrimental, while accepting making a mistake, and taking the info learned from it going forward to do further research and improve...That I approve of.

Let me actually change my opinion. Grades are NOTHING. College is about learning who you are, and who you want to be.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Take that crap at a Juco during the summer and stop beating yourself up so much. Your biggest problem right now is that college is tougher than high school. Think about that for a second. Of all the problems and struggles that you could possibly have, "college is tougher than high school" is your's.

You appear to be smart. You're young, privileged, blessed, and just beginning to embark on an opportunity of a lifetime. What more do you need? Give 100% and let the chips fall where they may. Right now grades are nothing and learning is everything. It's worth losing everything if you find yourself the process. What good is it to ace every college course, but graduate with the only knowledge of who you are being: "I'm good at making As."?

Come on man... Take advantage of this opportunity and finish each day with no regrets. 100% day in and day out. There's no time for sulking and complaining. Thoughts have a ton of power and words have even more. Speak and think about what you WANT to happen, then focus on it and work whole heartedly towards it. I garuntee that you'll begin to see doors open and your life just falling into place.

I'm telling you man, time flies by. And the quicker you learn exactly who you are as man, the more fruitfull and fulfilling your life will be. It's really so much bigger than school right now, it's LIFE. And you're in Austin! You got this bro... Now go LIVE!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Weellllll... :grin:

(I realize I'm rambling now, but what the hell, trips down memory lane can be fun)

Honestly, on some occasions it honestly isn't your fault. Sometimes your professor is either a) totally useless at teaching, b) a b*stard, or c) both. Teachers are regular people too. Just because they have the job doesn't make them good at it.

The business statistics prof I was talking about in my previous post was a good enough guy, just unforgiving. So he was none of those things.

As to "totally useless at teaching"... depending on what school you attend, professors who are really only there to do research can be pretty common. They just want to do their research and write books, and if they do those things well, the school won't care if their teaching sucks. I've definitely had a few of these, the "beautiful mind" types who seem like they could cure cancer given enough effort, but couldn't teach a guy with a shovel to dig a hole in the ground.

I also had a prof for philosophy of ethics (no seriously... the classes they make you take at Jesuit institutions, I tell ya) who fell into the "b*stard" category. I won't bother getting into all the specifics because it's a really long story. But in retaliation against several students in the class who kept questioning his infuriating views which he preached as absolute truth, he started putting multiple choice questions on tests that were literal paradoxes, hence it was entirely based on chance whether you picked the answer he had arbitrarily decided was right. I dropped the class, waited a few years, and re-took it with the department chair. When I told her I had taken it previously with the b*stard but dropped it, she gave a me a big smile and said something like "you dropped his class? That only proves you have moral fiber!" Or something like that.

Long story short: it's not always mea culpa. ;) Check out some teacher review sites before you enroll next semester.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Definitely wish I did that for this semester. I have several professors who are great researchers but have no business teaching (especially when they're teaching Intro classes).

7. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

This X 10000000

8. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

You'll get the hang of college soon enough. It just comes down to time management and studying daily. Do those things right and no reason you shouldn't be doing well

9. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Stop smoking!!! hah hah

you're like the college basketball star but struggling in the NBA :p

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Felt more inadequate in high school way more so than I did in college, grad school, or any work place (just about). I say because I didn't have much time for the nonsense and b.s. that goes in high school.