1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why aren't we STARTING Keenum? Texans Front Office are FOOLS!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Antec, Sep 22, 2013.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Remember who Case hit with a bomb in his first start against the toughest defense in the league. He has great vision and a gun for an arm -- when he sees the opening he's going for it -- you have to love the fearlessness.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You can't discount his ability to take advantage of his Hall of Fame WR. 10.3 per attempt his first two games is incredible.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Draft position is irrlevant; if we pretend he was the first overall pick, his numbers would still be unprecedented. Look at Peyton Manning's first two starts...

He's on a 16-game pace of 4,968; 32/0; 10.5 YPA - he is going to come back to earth. The Chiefs and Colts both neutralized him in the second half; now that teams have that film, you're going to see them implement that blueprint for 4Qs as they start to game plan for him. The big test - for him and any young QB - is whether or not he'll be able to attack what a defense leaves him after they take away what he does best. Should be interesting.

But this idea we've found our QB..... WAY premature.

1 person likes this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

A lot of what he does best isn't stuff that's take-away-able. His touchdowns were about finding his best receiver in man coverage, and simply giving him a chance to make a play. He's elusive enough...his arm is strong enough...and he's accurate. Those aren't things you can take away....you can do a better job of creating a rush on an offensive line...and you can switch up coverages. But if you have those tools, and you're reasonably intelligent, there's no reason you can't succeed.

And of course his numbers aren't going to stay at this level...those are crazy numbers. But he doesn't have to throw for 3 TD's and 350 yards every week to be successful.

He came to earth in the second half of this last game because the play-calling completely changed. Because this organization thinks if you get a lead, you should stop shooting for the end zone. The play calling on the second to last series...where they had the ball with about 4 minutes to go and down by 3...was atrocious.

5. Nook

Nook Member

This.

Case makes excellent decisions with the ball. He has good mobility and touch. He has an excellent feel for the game. It is the reason that some felt he had potential even if the scouts did not.

Of course he is not going to throw for 5,000 yards and no interceptions. However players like Jeff Garcia, Rich Gannon, Mark Brunnell and others had similar strengths and had very good careers.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I'm so confused when I see people say the colts/chiefs brought him back to earth in the second half of the games

you nailed what took place in the colts game - he was still money (the deep throw to Hopkins - the marginal dropped call to AJ) - the play calling wasn't the same.

Against the chiefs - we had no running back so the d pinned their ears back and he made a couple mistakes (which he did not repeat this past week)

he may or may not be the answer at qb - but he has been nothing less than exceptional so far

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It was really weird seeing a Texans QB break a tackle, scramble 20 yards up the middle of the field, and dive head-first into 3 tacklers without twirling through the air and fumbling the ball.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Re: the "atrocious" drive... he completed a 25-yard pass and had a bootleg blown to heck-fire. Altogether, in a four-play series, they called three passing plays. Again, the Colts had countered: they took away the bootleg (that was the play where Anger came in behind Mathis).

I don't know, man... he threw 18 first half passes; 16 in the second half. His Y/A dropped by nearly 3 yards. They started blitzing him, forcing him to make quicker (ie safer/shorter) decisions; they figured out the bootleg and defended it better. It's the same strategy the Chiefs employed in the second half. Collinsworth even made mention of it. I would guess the Cardinals are going to study those second halves and game plan for Case accordingly.

And that's when the rubber hits the road - can he exploit what a defense leaves behind? Going to be interesting...

(And I'm not trying to be all Debbie Downer; it's been fun and I'm cautiously optimistic. But they *will* figure him out...)

9. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

keenum to johnson looked like montana to rice

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And yet, in the 2nd half, he still led an 11 play drive (FG), a 9 play drive (missed FG) and got them into reasonable position considering the circumstances to attempt a game tying FG. He also led them to over 180 yards in the second half including 144 yards passing even with the change in defensive strategy.

You are correct, they took away the bootleg on a play when the vast majority of football fans in the world that were watching the game expected them to run the bootleg. That was simply a terrible call.

11. Agent94

Agent94 Member

That play was a QB run all the way, not a boot leg. It is one of the reasons I thought the play calling in the second half was bad.

You are down by 3 with 4 minutes left. What do you do? Hand it off. QB run. Now you are 3rd and long. Just horrible play calling.

12. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

He doesn't have a strong arm but he makes up for it with a quick release. Matt Schaub could make the same throw Case did on the 1st td pass to AJ80....The difference is two things.

Case gets to the outside faster and his mechanics allow him to set up quickly for a throw. That's why AJ80 caught the TD in stride. Matt makes the same throw, same distance except Matt takes longer to bootleg and set up for the throw.

13. tmacfor35

So that seperates a good/great qb.

Case can make all the throws. I just rewatched the game. He threw some bullets in between his touch passes. Lack of arm strength is a myth. His lobs were off the back foot with pressure in his face.

14. MadMax

Exactly. Not a bootleg. He was running from the snap.

15. MadMax

The lob he hit AJ with in the back of the endzone was absolutely off his back foot and with a defender right in his face.

16. tmacfor35

I'm defending him here. That 55 harder in the air off the back foot was sick.

For those who say he was neutralized in the second half? First game against the best d in the nfl with no RB.

Second game, you lose your play caller. That's got to be the first time that's happened in an nfl game. He's the real deal.

17. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Keenum will be starting for the Texans Week 1, 2014. Book it.

18. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

joe montana to rice. i'm telling you, i don't know why i doubted him and wanted yates. i liked yates arm strength but keenum has just enough. he was so accurate at uofh and he gets no credit for his scrambling.

19. tmacfor35

Oh I agree.

I think you need to become a pass first team with him too.

I won't declare him franchise capable yet until I see more from the intermediate game/red zone offense, but he is a better qb than Schaub.

20. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Agree.