1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

They'll eventually trade him, but it all depends on the deal that becomes available. He's too valuable if all you can get for him is a decent power forward -- you need to get a really good power forward in moving Asik.

I'd be willing to bet that Morey could land a solid power forward without moving Asik, so until something uniquely good is on the table, the Rockets will continue as they are.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Don't trade him for the sake of trading.

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

I'd trade Howard before all the fun dies out.

4. torocan

torocan Member

Asik is too good to trade as a back up center unless we get someone similarly impactful in return.

Personally, I'd rather see Dwight and Asik split minutes at 24 a piece and play super aggressive defense than the TT experiments we're seeing now.

The only time I think TT works is against teams with big front lines that are either low scoring or very dependent on big front line players (like Memphis).

I do think TT *could* eventually work, but it's going to take a LOT more time and development not only in terms of chemistry, but in terms of improving both of their offensive games.

As it stands now, the benefits of TT on the defensive end are being outweighed by the loss in offensive capability. 2 big guys clogging the paint, neither of which with a strong post up or mid-range game, and neither moving out of the paint to contest jumpers is just a few too many weaknesses for the other side to exploit.

It literally plays into the strengths of teams like GSW, Clippers and Spurs.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We have a solid PF now. His name is Omri Casspi, the Jewish Prince of Saudi Arabia.

Seriously, Omri Casspi is good and useful. And he's not even a Carlos Delfino-type severely undersized PF. When you put him out there against a Blake Griffin, he isn't getting pushed around. Omri Casspi is a real PF.

6. blackistan

blackistan Member

I wish we could trade Asik and another piece for L Aldridge that would be sweet

7. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

This,this team would do so much better with a legit PF (like Millsap) I am Not sure Why we are waiting we are basically Lowering Asik's value.

8. DaneB

DaneB Member

So if Dwight gets into early trouble like he did last night, you would feel much more comfortable with Greg Smith coming in? I'm sure you know that last night was somewhat of an aberration. At times it seems like Omer plays a lot better defense than Dwight. So far Dwight has not really seemed like the DPOY winner he was in years past. Also, are you sure this isn't a knee jerk thread after last nights game? All the way around we played pretty crappy last night and you can't really pinpoint the Twin Towers as being the reason we played so poorly.

9. DaneB

DaneB Member

Exactly! We don't want to trade a valuable trade chip just for the sake of trading him. If we trade him for a *decent* power forward than that could serve as a step forward offensively, but a leap backwards on the defensive end.

10. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

This...

Casspi can also run, shoot, and rebound... defense is not spectacular but it is adequate for most circumstance...

11. Play07

Play07 Member

yes clutch all we need is a solid PF that can shoot the three above 35% and play decent 3 not a superstar and we get to keep asik while doing that.

12. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

I'll give Asik a slight benefit of the doubt. He looked exhausted at one point. Which I assume is from missing preseason.

But he looked horrible last night. Clips were not afraid of the paint at all.

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

i think we'll end up with paul millsap or ryan anderson

14. Play07

Play07 Member

15. Play07

Play07 Member

I really like ryan but wish we didnt have to give up asik and get tied up in that 8mill contract ryan has, wish he was cheaper but he is playing back up right now and asik will be soon, both have same contracts so the trade keeps making more and more sense

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Right now? Either Parsons or Dwight Howard with Asik at C when you need the size. Not ideal, but why trade Omer Asik and drastically hurt your backup C situation just to improve your backup PF situation?

Like Clutch said (and Morey said so himself), no trading Asik unless you are getting something really special back-- and if the market doesn't offer something special, then keep him.

17. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I cried a little just thinking of Asik getting traded :(.

18. lz56

lz56 Member

Totally agree.
    48 min rim protection is great but it dose not compensate the bad offense from our bigs.
    We need a elite offensive threat in the paint, which we can't get from either of Howard and Omer.
    Our offense is not balanced.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Dang. Right when I wanted to reply, Clutch pretty much sums it up.

I think Daryl's biding his time for The Right Player. Whether or not that turns out to be LaMarcus Aldridge will depend on a few factors.

Casspi has acquitted himself nicely at PF, but if we could trade for a 4/5, or a 4 + good backup 5.....or get a better defender/playmaker at the 1 (because, you know, they just grow on trees, right?)

So many people are screeching about 48 minutes of rim protection but you have to pick and choose. Dwight and Asik can't keep trying to stay out of each other's way. Sometimes their rebounding and defense might save us (Charlotte) but more often you'll just have McHale sub someone in for one or the other while mumbling, "December 15th can't get here fast enough..."

20. Morlock O

Morlock O Member