1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

"Seems like a mini troll by some moderator or something."

That's exactly what it's saying... bro.

2. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

hmm... ...who said anything about JLin?

I just thought it amusing that this topic got Stickied, must less noticed that an official blog/article was written on it... ...anyhow, TL;DR this thread.

fwiw, game threads and keeping DHoward happy are where my interests are.

3. Ultimate6thMan

That bolded part is a reach, to put it nicely. I certainly never said it is/was an insult to Lin, and I'm not on a first name basis with him.

You can make your reason known for sticking it without stating obvious exaggerations.

4. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

This thread being "stickied" is brilliant because it acts as a lightening rod!

And, I hope Beverley heals quickly.

5. Ultimate6thMan

By troll, I mean seems like a way to keep the Lin discussion at the forefront of what's being discussed on this forum. Everyone knows it's a hot topic. That comment was said as a joke, not an insult to a moderator. To take it that way requires already sensitive feelings.

In NO WAY does saying that imply that "it's an insult to Jeremy".

6. Play07

Play07 Member

Perfect thread to stick, so if people wanna discuss Lin and the starter situation they can come here and not have to worry about putting up Lin threads or going back and forth in threads that are not about Lin.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Nah, you're not spinning your way out of this one. We all know what you meant. There's no moderator action that is in any way abnormal here.

Exactly.

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

The thread title is 100% factual evidence. Jeremy Lin off the bench is what the Rockets want. Good sticky.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Definitely.

10. Solaris

Solaris Member

If I remembered correctly, there were around 10 new threads everyday regarding Lin/Bev benching/starting that week. So obviously, the mods did a great job managing this situation by sticky this one and merging/closing other ones.

11. GageD

GageD Member

Ultimate6thman you were accusing the mods of trolling earlier. Clutch is right.

12. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I'm sure most people know why this thread was made a sticky and are glad that it was.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

Good to know I can come here and talk about my views, this will be something people will discuss throughout the season.

I started watching every rocket game during the championship years at 11&12 years old. My parents would make me cut off the tv at 9:30 for bedtime. when the played on the west coast I would have to sneak and watch the game without volume so I wouldn't caught due to the late starts, and got caught many times...but still I've been called a LOF a few times because if my join date. I can do nothing but laugh at stuff like that

14. Jeffey

Jeffey Member

Yep, but what the Rockets want and what's best for the Rockets may not be the same. Time will tell.

15. sli

sli Member

Society changes slowly

Jeffey, welcome to Lin's world. It started with the Stanford coach not giving it to him straight when Lin was pursuing a Stanford basketball scholarship. Don't fret over this kind of misinformation too much, as Lin himself is now capable of handling it emotionally and mentally. Such preconceptions only make Lin's career path more difficult, but don't hurt his ability to play basketball. Lin got to improve his basketball skills at Harvard U., without very limited opportunities to play against top-tier competition, and yet he made it to the NBA. Thus I think coming off the bench is not something he should agonize over. He can still get himself to the pinnacle via playing with and against the second units. He can ignore the broadcasters and whether McHale tried to use them to leak out his decision, he should just focus on being grateful that Daryl and Les decided to pay him big bucks to play basketball.

16. Jeffey

Jeffey Member

Nice post, I will definitely take note of this. If Lin is not letting this affect him, then we shouldn't be too emotionally attached to it either.

17. Jeffey

Jeffey Member

I'm not a McHale hater btw, I'm sure he's just doing what he thinks is best for the team. I just got the sense that they were set on Bev starting but were yanking Lin's chain but whatever. It's a long season, I'm sure they'll get this thing sorted over time and as long as the Rockets win that's all that matters.

18. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Agreed. All starting/lineup talk (mostly involving Lin and to a lesser extent Asik) can go here instead of having it clog and dilute other threads.

19. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This entered my mind as well, but McHale does seem to have a longer leash with Lin this year, at least by the Utah game. After some early mistakes, McHale did not immediately yank out Lin for Brooks like he would do last year (whether it was (1) to protect Lin, (2) because he lacked confidence in Lin to play better, or (3) because it was done punitively/educationally, we will not know for sure, but I suspect it was #2).

I watched Lin through Linsanity, so I saw his ability to dominate second halves after having bad first halves (where opponents game planned for him and threw things at him that he hadn't seen), so I was frustrated at his short leash last year (though better than Keith Smart's "no leash"). McHale by his self admission did not watch or believe in Linsanity, and with his pre-existing experience with point guards like Lin (ZERO), I can kind of understand his short leash last year. But ignorance is no excuse. As a coach, I would go back and watch the Linsanity games if I just acquired my new point guard, but then again McHale (per Larry Bird) was never known for his off-court diligence, and he never really struck me as a film junkie.

20. bws

bws Member

You know, starting is also about the starting unit starting the 3rd quarter. Last game was certainly a case for Lin to start since the starter starts the 3rd quarter. They were behind and needed his offense or ability to create offense for teammates. It was also a game of balanced scoring, Parsons led, then Harden, Lin, Dwight and Garcia were all in double figures. Harden doesn't need to make 30 to 40 a night. It's better when Harden has mid to upper 20s, Lin upper teens to mid 20s w. both Harden and Lin getting their assists, Parsons mid 20s, Dwight mid teens to lower 20s. Beverley can have around 15/16 points some nights and his other big stats would be a great contribution to the team and Casspi and others will also have big contributions. But I think the main scorers should be Harden, Lin, Parsons, Dwight, Garcia, sometimes Casspi with big shots and plays from Beverley. I think Lin should play 32 minutes a game.