1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. fearless!

fearless! Member

Hahaha yea right. Does Morey tell u what he had for dinner too?

2. LoLin

LoLin Member

Bottome line, it doesn't matter whether Lin comes off the bench or start, it's about letting him close out the game. He has a tendency to start off slow but amps up the intensity as the game goes on.

I like how McHale is giving him the opportunity to play through his mistakes, and Lin steps up to answer his coach's trust. It's encouraging and I want to see them continue to build on that.

3. zdrav

zdrav Member

Well said. I suspect that this too subconsciously fuels a lot of the more irrational rage against Lin, which is really just collateral damage from the hate against his fans.

How can you hate a players' fans so much that you start wishing bad fortunes on the player?

4. torocan

torocan Member

It's hard to say how "tough" Beverley is as he's only expected to defend and shoot jumpers.

Beverley at this point isn't going to be at the top of the scouting report, he isn't going to be trapped and double-teamed, and he isn't going to be game-planned against.

Lin is expected to do both... run the offense AND play defense. That's a much higher load, much more energy consuming, and involves far more moment by moment decision-making.

Beverley is motivated and hard working, but would he get rattled if his offensive game develops and he ends up on the scouting report? How would he react if teams start trapping him hard or playing him physically when he has the ball?

We don't know, and that's okay. But let's not pretend that what's asked of Beverley is anywhere near as complex as what's asked of Lin.

5. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

Nothing that special but WHO he had dinner with, now that was a surprise.

6. Ultimate6thMan

I think McHale just doesn't care for Lin a whole lot and has a view of his game that doesn't represent what it really is. All of these professionals, GM, coaches and players have egos, whether huge or large. I think McHale was like why bring him back in when he wasn't impressed with him the year before, and he saw Linsanity as some type of fluke, so he never gave Jeremy any credit to be labelled the starter to begin with. That's why I think he consistently played Toney Douglas in crunch time over Lin.

Secondly, I think there is a quiet power struggle between McHale and Morey. Morey doesn't want to be known as a GM that tells his coach what to do, and McHale probably sees Morey as just some stat guy that has never played the game while he is a HOFer. McHale probably has GM aspirations again at some point, and doesn't really in his mind see Morey as more qualified than him. So Morey kind of pulled his trump card with all the moves he has made, but has proved himself with the team that we now had. But McHale, IMHO, probably had resentment of Morey a little prior to getting these two superstars for all the moves that Morey was making to get in position to get this team together as it is. But McHale was only looking at winning and losing current games and how his coaching record would look with all the changes Morey was making.

Of course this is ALL SPECULATION, but you asked what I thought.

So I think this whole Bev/Lin debate is McHale again asserting himself over Morey and his lack of like for Lin's game. I do think maybe Lin's game might win him over a bit, but it's like Lin is working from a negative where Bev started from ground zero to prove himself.

Ultimately, Morey is more important to Les than McHale is, so if they continue to bump heads quietly behind the scenes and unseen, McHale will be out the door, because Morey is more valuable.

Hopefully they can work it out and we all just win a CHAMPIONSHIP...or two!

7. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

The Rockets won.
    Lin played great.
    Lin also had some dumb plays.

Everybody wins. What's there to argue about?

8. Ultimate6thMan

I haven't read all of the stuff on this forum regarding Lin, but if anyone is wishing him or Bev bad fortunes, to me they are not a ROCKETS fan.

But I have seen where people supposedly don't like Lin now supposedly because of his fans. That's asinine and crazy to me.

9. devin23

devin23 Member

^THIS!!

10. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

LoL - how did this thread get Stickied?

11. Ultimate6thMan

Man I said this a while back about this tread. Seems like a mini troll by some moderator or something.

12. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

"I like how McHale is giving him the opportunity to play through his mistake?" I doubt it, Lin is always on a short leash. This time is different because Bev is not available. So he was forced to play him.

13. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

To be honest, I really want Bev to start this season to see what kind of player he can develop into this season. Last season I have seen him multiple times to run the Rockets offense to the ground with nowhere to go. It was helpless.

14. sli

sli Member

Let's stick with McHale's game plan

I am a big Linsanity fan but I also was thrilled by Bev's underdog story of making it to the NBA after a few years in Europe. I hope Lin fans will quiet down and let Lin embrace the 6th-man role this year. Lin's salary is fixed for this year and next year anyway. Letting him run the second unit is the best way for him to grow in court-smarts thus improving his decision making. Don't put the unrealistic expectations on him to make the All-Star team this year, what with Chris Paul, Stephon Curry and Damon Lillard playing lights out. And the team has 2 superstars so let them carry the major load of leading the Rockets to the championship.

15. zdrav

zdrav Member

The Rockets' window is now. Howard's prime will end soon. I don't think there's time to use an entire season for experimentation with Bev as starter when you already have a proven and improving starter like Lin.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

How did this thread get stickied? Are you serious? It's a CF blog comments thread for an article about a topic that you won't stop discussing in every thread. It's stuck to show where that discussion goes. Suddenly stickying this thread is an insult to Jeremy Lin?

LOL indeed. You run with your version of reality.

17. Jeffey

Jeffey Member

The season is long and there'll be plenty of time for them to figure out the optimum rotation. And if the Rockets keep winning, nobody should care who starts.

The only thing that bugged me was this "competition" that they had that was won by Beverley in the preseason. The media and broadcasters all talked about how Lin was benched due to Beverley outplaying him, meanwhile McHale revealed post Bobcats game that the decision was made based on what he thought was best fit.

18. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Lol when did anyone say that stickying it was an insult to Jeremy Lin? Your tone is pretty on the attack there bro

19. Jeffey

Jeffey Member

Might as well sticky it because this topic will be ongoing for awhile. I suspect it may even take the first half of the season before we or I should say the coaches get a good sense of what's best for the team.

20. Ultimate6thMan

I never said such things as I have bolded from your statements.

I only watched one game of Linsanity, against the Lakers. I don't usually have or make time to follow other teams.

I still think THE ROCKETS, not Lin, will be a MUCH BETTER team with Lin starting and not coming off the bench. For me, it's not about what's best for Lin, it's about what I think if best for THE ROCKETS as a team!