1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With 3:58 remaining and a 17 pt lead.....why

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ultimate6thMan, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Ultimate6thMan

Statistically, even with an eye test only, teams come back from large deficits in the NBA much more than anyone gets hit by lighting. I would have thought that even you could figure that much out. :rolleyes:

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You can't just say "statistically" and not have any stats.

I could just as well say "statistically" basketball is the most difficult sport to come back from.

3. Ultimate6thMan

And you would be statistically wrong...whether I prove it or not. Did you get that last part? :confused: Or is it too difficult for you to understand? :eek:

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

no I don't need you for that, but the site needs money for the upkeep of the message board forum, which contains gems like this one...

I just contributed to the tipjar on your behalf. thanks for encouraging me.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Nevermind.

Statistically, you might be mentally r****ded, but there is a small statistical chance you could come back from it if your brain didn't bench all your brain cells.

6. Ultimate6thMan

You are welcome! Keep up the great work and support!

7. Ultimate6thMan

is your name short for an std? I mean, that's what it says backwards. (Flaming DTS) Don't mean to insult you, just curious if you have a problem.

Back on topic....McHale made a poor decision. That's all it was. We won, that's what matters most. I hope McHale doesn't make this same mistake again and it costs us a game actually.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I ask you to back up the claim that going on a large run within a 4 minute time span is not unusual, and you say that it doesn't matter -- "the fact that it is possible is all that matters". Then you continue by repeating the claim that such runs are common-place.

Obviously, that it is "possible" is not all that matters to you. You are under the belief that it is not merely possible, but also that it happens frequently. What I'm trying to explain to you is that your impression is wrong. It does not at all happen frequently. You are losing yourself over something that had an extremely small chance of occurring. Its not healthy to think in this way.

9. Ultimate6thMan

What I'm trying to explain to you is that when a COACH puts in a bench lineup with NO STARTERS and even those bench players NOT BEING A BALANCED UNIT that has played together, STATISTICALLY you improve the other teams chance of making a comeback and put your own players in a losing position. Do you now understand what I am saying?

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

No one understands what you're saying bc you sound like an idiot. It isn't us, it's you. You're not smart.

So please... STFU.

11. Ultimate6thMan

You obviously have nothing important to say, so you resort to the often over used "STFU". True sign of a lack of intelligent ability to discuss and debate a topic. :rolleyes:

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

There's nothing to debate. Literally nothing.

And it's statistically proven that people who use emoticons are in the lower 25th percentile of human intelligence.

13. Ultimate6thMan

Prove it? I would tell you my IQ, but it would probably hurt your feelings. :(

14. durvasa

Yes. Now, do you understand that the extent to which you improve their chances of making a comeback is still extremely marginal? Like on the scale of 0.5% to 1% chance? And therefore, it really doesn't matter, statistically speaking?

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

statistically and 'eyetest'!?

wut

16. bongman

bongman Member

Worship? Lol. Why does it have to be categorized as worship when somebody defends a particular person?

Please show us the statistics where a team that has only scored only 85 pts after 42 minutes of play and a deficit of 17 pts, playing without their 2 best offensive players and a coach who has thrown the white flag and won. I would like to get educated on this. Btw, the other coach, you know the one who one won a championship just a few years back also thought that there was no way they can come back, hence their lineup.

17. Ultimate6thMan

You people keep asking for statistics, when they really don't matter if you just look at the evidence already presented. That evidence is that the lineup coach put in got outscored and came within 5 points of losing the game in a very short period of time. It's not like the lead stayed in double digits the whole time. The game was in jeopardy, even if McHale stuck with the bench players and they pulled it out. There should have NEVER been an opportunity to worry about it.

McHale made a bonehead decision and as one poster said, people in the arena were on the edges of their seats worried until Dallas missed those last free throws...or otherwise it would have gone down to the last second.

It was a totally unnecessary occurance if coach would have just made some better decisions.

18. durvasa

Ultimate6thMan, you keep returning to the same logically flawed argument. The game was never in jeopardy. Being up 5 with 21 seconds left and having the ball is still a commanding lead. Its extremely rare for a team to lose in that situation. Still more rare is for a team to come back from down 17 with under 4 minutes remaining. That pretty much never happens.

My suggestion is that you just leave it at this: I prefer a more conservative style where you don't put in "garbage time" lineups until the lead is 100% insurmountable.

Its fine to have that preference, even if most people don't agree with it in 4 games in 5 nights situations. The reason you're getting grief in this thread is your insistence that having a different perspective makes McHale an idiot and the rest of us "McHale worshipers".

19. Ultimate6thMan

If you don't think that up 5 points with 21 seconds to go is a game that is in jeopardy, especially after being up over 17 points just minutes ago (which also means that MOMENTUM has swung greatly) then I don't know what else to say to you.

I never called McHale an "IDIOT" for making this decision, but I said it was not a good one. If you all jump my case for making that statement, start calling me stupid, ignorant, etc., then I can only see THAT as McHale worship, as if he is beyond any type of criticism.

If the people on this board have a problem with people insisting on having a different perspective from them about ANY subject, to the point that they have to stoop to insults because a person won't finally agree with them, then they are SHORT SIGHTED and INTOLERABLE as human beings.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

McHale has been great so far this year.