1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin says he's OK with being Rockets' 6th Man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Oct 28, 2013.

1. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Hi Durvasa

I hear your logic but that type of reasoning would also work if Mchale decided to bench Harden

I guess my point is Mchale can do whatever he wants but should he? I don't think so. If he wanted to "test", he could have just staggered their mins a bit more. Benching Lin is not the only way to have Beverly play more with Harden. Moreover, to me there were no signs in preseason that Lin could not play well w Howard/Harden. If anything, he looked rather good and was able to get Howard alot of easy dunks

So I feel its a severe knee jerk reaction by Mchale. If we were losing and Lin wasn't meshing w the starting line up after 15 games, I would be the first to suggest to bench Lin. But as of today, I see absolutely no proof as to how this makes us a better team. Yes, having Lin be a back up is good for the 2nd unit but same could of been said with Harden being a six man and sprucing up our bench

2. sew

sew Member

Smart move.

3. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Think you have to realize by now the coaching staff for whatever reason just doesn't like Lin.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have really liked the idea of Lin in the Manu role; I think it is a perfect fit. It fits Lin and it fits the team. He will come in and be the dominant scorer of the second unit. Gives the Rockets exceptional depth. As some one mentioned, he will become OKC's Harden. I think he will flourish.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

An embarrassment for Lin!

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Lin will be fine. The Rockets just deleted one of their entire posts about the new season because of the flame wars in the comments section. unbelievable.

if I'm Morey I trade JLin7, not Asik.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Ah yes, McHale is the one who kneejerked.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yep. I bet if Lin knows about it, he's embarrassed by it. Tacky and pathetic. His "fans" need to ask themselves this question before they make fools of themselves: What Would Lin Do?

9. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

The difference is Harden is a TOP 5 PLAYER. Can people please stop comparing Lin to Harden. Their talent levels are no where close to each other.

10. mario_v

mario_v Member

I think Lin should start. The answer is simple, if Mchale wants to continue to play a uptempo fastbreak offense then you need to start lin. Beverly cannot push the ball from one end to the other like Lin can.

Also, what made Beverly special is his energy off the bench and his "in your face" aggressive defense. Can he sustain that level of energy and defensive intensity plus push the ball up the court offensively for 30-36 minutes as a starter?

1 person likes this.
  11. Jovial

Jovial Member

Lin should ask for trade just like Asik. No good to keep fans unhappy.

12. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Jeremy Lin on not starting for the Rockets tonight:&quot;I've known for awhile so it is not really a surprise for me.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jenny Dial Creech (@jennydialcreech) <a href="https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/statuses/395583520707330048">October 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lin: I need to control what I do when I am out there like I said. I feel like I am beating a dead horse with some of the things I’m saying.</p>&mdash; Jenny Dial Creech (@jennydialcreech) <a href="https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/statuses/395583968738689024">October 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I don't disagree that Harden is good BUT the argument which Durvasa raised was that Mchale is the boss and he can do whatever he wants

My point was that he shouldnt as their needs to be some process in his decision making and he made a huge decision with no clear reasons why this was needed. If he was the boss and could do anything, that means he could bench Harden too which doesnt make sense. Like I said, if were losing after 15 games, I would be happy to say he should demote Lin but all accounts show Lin/Harden/Howard playing well together and Lin seems to have improved his outside shooting nor did I feel that Beverly outperformed Lin in any major way.

14. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Those are fans of themselves instead of Lin. Why would Lin do anything and what exactly can he do? If a pretty girl has a bunch of stalkers following her, should she feel guilty about her look and just destroy her face?

Again, self-claimed Lin fans are not necessarily fans of him; self-righteous so-called Rockets Only Fans are not always Rockets fans either.

It is cyber space.

1 person likes this.
  15. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

poor lin. no wonder why he's looked so down of late

16. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Dont you think that is why they are trying Bev as a starter? What if he can?

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think its fair to disagree with it as a basketball decision, in the same way that it would be fair to criticize McHale if he chooses to keep D-Mo and Jones out of the regular rotation. When people go a step further and argue that McHale is somehow overstepping his bounds a coach or that this is indicative of some personal prejudice against a player, that's when I have a problem with it.

18. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Let there be peace.....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, it would be very sad for Lin if he sees this thing, but Asian fans are not Lin fans. General Asian fans are just good as others

20. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

It's McHale's decision. I only view actions as actions, wouldn't bother with perceived intention. There is no way to prove one's own intention, not to mention others'.

It's obvious that he's made the decision long time ago. All those posing of "experiment" and "I have 2 starting PG" shows during Asia trip were rather insulting. As for the supporters of such "experiment", please don't forget the conclusion was reached and case closed, before experiment.