1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Because lin didn't speak up about being demoted. Instead, he gave a speech this summer about "playing for god," and "not having an ego."

As a result of his newfound insight, he won't be playing much at all.

2. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Because silly, 3 and D players are totally the in thing these days. Just look at Danny Green! You know?! Being amazing in the playoffs before somebody actually put a body on him and making him completely irrelevant on offense!

Clearly having the best interior passer on the team come off the bench would maximize Dwight and Asik's respective game! It's not like those two are completely terrible at generating their own shots!

Also WE ABSOLUTELY must have the ball in Harden's hand 24/7! Clearly we must ride his back like every single play! It's not like he lead the league in turnovers or anything!

3. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Some but not most. Most would prefer Lin over that POS Felton.

4. robrhodes

robrhodes Member

Watching him get ripped on espn and random knicks fans/loh for this "demotion" is pretty absurd. I don't see this causing much if at all a drop off in minutes or production from him and he may still become a starter yet. Spot up shooting and tough d should mesh better with harden/howard. I'm not sure how so many people are taking this as Lin is complete trash now.

5. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Just barely. He was on the verge of quitting, on multiple occasions. What the hell was your point about that anyway?

Also, lin's position is very different from that of dragic and lowry, since he has a huge contract that most teams are not willing to take on. If lin wanted to assert himself about his minutes, the team would have to acknowledge and accommodate the request to some degree, or face a great deal of scrutiny as to why he was not playing.

Your analogies are a complete fail.

6. jackycool

jackycool Member

Why didn't we hear this from McHale himself? Why not just come out and say Beverley is your starter opening night instead of hearing it from Parsons?

7. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

You're wrong. Lin won't be sniffing anywhere near 32 minutes a game. There will be some games where he may be playing as few as 15, with garcia getting some minutes at the 2 slot alongside beverley and harden.

8. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Coward?

9. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

As I've said many times before, mchale doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't have a clear idea of what he's doing with his rotations and he doesn't want to accept the flak of his decision to bench lin.

10. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

That's part of it, but he's also geniunely confused about who should start and about how to allocate minutes. He's an inexperienced and indecisive coach. A bad start for a franchise with high hopes.

11. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Totally agree

The whole demotion thing is kinda f'd up because it doesn't happen too often. I don't see Nash being benched for Farmar even though he said he's too old to play b2b games, the Lakers have no elite rollmen to run the pnr, the guy has never played any D, and he hasn't scored much either since coming to LA. Meanwhile Farmar dominated during preseason. You don't demote a guy you respect.

But it makes sense considering the roster. 5 guys, 1 ball. IMO I think more teams should be doing it. It'd force teams to build a roster around a system. Instead of just chasing stars and expecting them to coexist.

And Isaiah Thomas was benched for Vasquez a couple days ago for opposite reasons. Rox didn't need a playmaker 1, they needed a scorer / defensive presence. Kings didn't need a scorer / defensive presence, they needed someone to feed the ball to Cousins.

12. tada

tada Member

13. zdrav

zdrav Member

I think a lot of people have been aching for him to fail now. The fairy tale was nice, but it was more in a, "Hey, the class nerd thinks he can become prom king!" sort of amusement.

Once the narrative became that Lin could actually be a legit NBA player at a starter's level, a lot of people became unnerved. Everyone has their own reasons. Some people may be very invested in the idea that the NBA scouting system couldn't have failed at such a level. Some may be keen on keeping Asian males down at the lowest run of the social ladder. Some may be big Melo groupies who couldn't stand how Lin took the spotlight away from their Chosen One. Some people may hate his fans so much that they'll do anything to score petty victories against them. Who knows?

But there are a lot of people who, for whatever inexplicably and unfair reason, have wanted this really great kid to fail after the clock struck midnight. They couldn't stand that his coach didn't turn back into a pumpkin, and they think that FINALLY, it's happened.

14. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Dude Lin has a ton of fans that aren't Asian. You don't seem to understand that. Hes an underdog story, you don't have to be Asian to identify with that. Im more if a Lin fan than a Rockets fan and I'm white. And I'm not the only one, trust me.

15. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Absolutely, cognitive dissonance as well as out and out racism are huge.

The lin haters on this forum like spiegel just go apesh--, calling lin and his fans "zipperheads," with impunity. I love it when they expose themselves like this. :)

16. zdrav

zdrav Member

Hey, I am fully aware that Lin has a ton of non-Asian fans. Hell, Magic Johnson was one of his earliest supporters and last time I checked, Magic ain't Asian.

But I think a lot of people do think that his fan base is mostly just a bunch of dorky and NBA-illiterate Asian fanboys, which makes them all the more easy to hate and ridicule.

My main point is that there's a key element of Lin's story that's uniquely resonant with Asians, particularly Asian guys. His experience just runs the whole gamut of their experience: the doubting of his athletic ability at least partly due to race, the small dick jokes, the racial slurs, the marginalization and emasculation time and time again...

That was my point. I know that a lot of non-Asian fans love him for his underdog story and such.

17. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

No I like Lin. I hate fake fans like you who don't give a 2 rats ass about our team. This is te ouston Rockets fan site. The code of conduct here is Rockets above all. Tmac only fans are gone, some YOF's are gone and some are now LOF's, but Rockets and Rockets only fans will allways be here. We weren't knicks fans like you during linsanity.

18. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

The sheeple are dumb, and frightened. They've been **** on for so long, they'll look for any target to ridicule to vent their frustrations on. Sadly predictable.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Care to find these posts?

20. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

K gotcha. And yes I think you summed it up really well here.