1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McHale: "I have two starting point guards."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KlutchQT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Dreams...

2. bws

bws Member

I don't at all. Lin and Parsons can put up way beyond 18 points on some nights, as well as some of the 3 point sharp shooters and Beverley may some nights too. Parsons has made huge buckets, Asik's defense is going to matter, some guys off the bench will matter, any bucket, defensive play can matter. Howard and Harden don't win games alone. Without the right players along with them, they'll just be two elite players on a losing team.

3. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

Just setting him up to fail to compare him to all time top 75 players.

4. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Jesus can't teach you how to read well if you don't put in the effort.

"Type!"

5. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

Translation: "I have two backup point guards but if I choose one I'm going to choose the one that makes Harden happy"

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

it all starts with Harden and Howard. everything you mentioned can't be done by the role players alone without Harden and Howards presence on the court. do you know why the game has been easier for them and how they get all these wide open shots?

and it all ends with them as well. this team is going nowhere without them.

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I read just fine. You know exactly what you were doing. You easily could have said pass first PG vs shoot first PG, but no you threw his name together with all time greats.

Don't play like that's not exactly what you meant and believe. I have seen your other ridiculous posts.

8. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

It's Hard for a team to win a championship with the point guard dominating the ball and getting a lot of assist. Tony Parker, Rondo, Billups, J. Kidd did it... But all those point guards had one thing in common _ dominate offensive big men who could score away from the basket. And Parker is the only one of those guys with multiple rings and he would play off the ball as well because he had a ball dominate shooting guard with Manu. The Rockets don't have a dominant big man that can step away from the basket and score. This team is more in the mold of Wade/Shaq or Kobe/Shaq type team. A big man who can't play away from the basket and a shooting guard who needs the ball to be at his maximum effectiveness.

Hate to say his name but this team is built for a Derek Fisher type point guard and that's Beverley. A guy who is tenacious on defense and can knock down open shots. A pest on defense who gets under opposing players skin and is a villain outside of Houston (just like Fisher). Never underestimate the importance of defense. With Harden and Lin there are two playmakers on the court but the backcourt defense would be weak because neither one are great defenders. Two offensive minded guys who need the ball. And also both are turnover prone. Beverley takes more care of the ball than anyone on the team. Beverley being a good defender, he doesn't turn over the ball, and isn't lost offensively when he doesn't have the ball _ are better reasons to start him over Lin and his play making ability.

With Beverley starting it also gives Parsons more of an opportunity with the ball and become a bigger offense threat. Many of us Rockets fans forget Parsons had games where he put up a nice number of assist and lite up the score board. And Parsons was a guy who was eating into Lin's time with the ball as well. With Lin off the court _ it gives Parsons more of an opportunity to take his game to another level and Parsons won't have to step out and guard the opposing teams point guard when Lin can't.

Beverley should start and McHale shouldn't play musical chairs with him and Lin. Lin will still get his time especially with Beverley being foul prone...

9. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I wrote what I wrote. Stop scrutinizing and over-interpreting in your hateful witchhunt manner, it's annoying. Plz quit the stalking. You're being way over-sensitive negatively with everything that has to do with your antagonist hero. Get a life. Don't believe in your omnipotence.

10. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I'm not saying that's true, but I don't disagree either...

11. vlaurelio

fixed

12. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

You do have a point but the historical championship perspective isn't quite right.

Shaq/Wade actually had Jason Williams and Antoine Walker handling the ball. Shaq/Kobe/Fisher used the triangle offense.

Why is it bad to have a traditionally good PG if there is no dominant shooting bigman?

Dwight is very different from Shaqe BTW.

13. bws

bws Member

And it can't go but so far with just them either. The superstars lead in most categories but are never the whole team. And I think the contributing players should be credited and respected for what they do. Ot's not all about the superstars. In fact, DH wasn't with the team last year and they still did pretty well. Rockets had one superstar but some damned good players along side of him.

14. vlaurelio

that's what one superstar brings you. what more if you have two superstars.

how do you think the "some damned good players" rockets would have done last year if we didn't trade harden? d12 won't be here and your 3 point shooters are useless without him..

15. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

You go right ahead and think Antoine Walker dominated the ball when Miami won the championship with Shaq and Wade... Lol.. Wade lead the team in both points and assist in both the regular season and playoffs by the way... And Miami didn't run the triangle.

And I didn't say Shaq and Howard were the same...

16. Baruch

Baruch Member

Kind of agree. On top of the basketball reasons, there are other factors influencing the decision, too.

Lin has to give way for Harden, the superstar of the team, as well as Parson, the fans favorite and Houston's very own star-to-be . Lin doesn't impress the majority of people who watch basketball as a star though his fans believe he has huge upsides. I think the coaches are not very impressed by him either (we seldom hear McHale giving credit to Lin). Lin definitely can play and play phenomenally sometimes, but that's the problem bothering the coaches: inconsistency. If they don't see consistency in your performance, they will rather play safe.

That explains why the coaching team prefers Bev starts with Harden (as the reasons well put by Ricky) and why we see Parsons handling the ball more often.

Don't know how much Morey can influence McHale's decision and to what extent we can take his comments on Lin. But it seems he has a different view on certain things from McHale.

Well, I see Bev start over Lin if McHale sticks with his decision. However, the table can be turned around if Lin continues to improve his defense and shooting and play consistently.

17. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I never said Walker dominated the ball. It's easy to ignore Jason Williams huh? He averaged five assists.

I never said Miami ran the triangle, I said the Lakers did.

18. quizone

quizone Member

This is just what mcl-lale will say before p.b is the official starter.
    [​IMG]

19. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I'm not ignoring Jason _ I'm just telling you he wasn't a ball dominate point guard with Miami. And that's around the same amount of assist Lin averaged without dominating the ball. And Jason Williams only averaged 3.9 assist in the playoffs and played less than 30 minutes a game the year Miami won. And plus he only played in 59 games during the regular season that year as well..

But you go ahead and keep thinking that Jason Williams dominated the ball with Miami. Remember it how you want...

20. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I honestly think It has nothing to do with the fans. Things just changed when Harden magically fell into Morey's hands. If the Harden trade was done before the free agent period I really don't think they would have signed Lin. But, they are both here and Lin may still start.

And who knows. Maybe Lin will learn to play and be consistent and effective with Harden. Just like Harden had to learn to play with Westbrook.