1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. just a word

just a word Member

I actually think that it would depend on matchups at the 4. If it is a team where we would need more height/offense/team defense, then DMo, and whichever PG is clicking for him at the moment. If its a team that could use more rebounding and atheticism and iso defense, then Jones, and whichever PG is working well with him.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PG matchups with DMo and Jones change throughout the season because of how fast the guys are learning, DMo with the Dream and both with the team itself and neither seems completely 'settled' in their game/role yet. If and when they settle into themselves, they could look like different players.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I will greatly miss the Wex and MJ interviews with Morey. That was hands down the best part of their show.

3. Indaface

Indaface Member

Yea they had a good chemistry with Morey. I know Lance is friends with him and all but it's just not the same. Plus Adam just hasn't found his footing yet with the interviews. He asks some horrible questions from the couple interviews i've heard (OD,Morey).

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I am still devastated by the loss of Matt & Adam W. on my morning radio dial, I think people are needlessly giving Lance and Adam C. a hard time here.

This was supposedly a "bonus" appearance by Morey, whose regular radio segments don't officially start until next Thursday. Given that the regular season isn't even close to starting, they willingly engaged in non-basketball discussion.

Of course, since Morey is always game to dabble in almost any topic of discussion, such talk is likely to happen throughout the season. But I expect his segments to be much more basketball-centric, starting next week.

Also, I think most people grossly underestimate Lance's and Adam C.'s knowledge of NBA basketball. While I'd still probably put Matt & Adam W. as a more knowledgeable tandem on the NBA, I'd consider Lance and Adam C. is probably the most knowledgeable tandem still on the air in Houston. (That might not be saying much, but it's true.)

Give those guys a chance.

Now, if they would only do their damn show until 10:00 am.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think it's a knowledge issue with Lance and Clanton, it's a focus issue. They both have some combination of ADD and "Never became adults" syndrome.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I listened to the interview this morning and they started by offering Morey a choice of talking about Rockets or something off-topic. They have been on a football tear day after day... and they finally get to the segment I want to hear with Morey and ask him if he wants to talk about something other than the Rockets and basketball? They then proceed to start asking him about college football, Condoleeza Rice, etc. Seriously? At least they switched to talking about the Rockets quickly. And the James Harden teeth question was definitely cringeworthy.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I expected better from Clanton, a supposed diehard Rockets fan.

8. Reach

Reach Member

Beverley will start. All of this "alternating starts" nonsense is a smokescreen so that Lin can feel he's been given a fair shake by the organization before they take away his starting job. I'm not happy about it, but the writing's on the wall.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am sure all these radio hosts and their management keep very detailed data on the # of listeners broken down by, among other things, the topic they are discussing. So, I wonder if they have data showing that talking about the Rockets instead of football causes most listeners to switch channels.

I suspect that members of Clutchfans do not necessarily share the taste in sports radio with 790's overall target audience.

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Sorry for bumping this thread. No new interview, just not sure where else to post this...

I'm looking for some old interview Morey gave in which he commented on the Rockets not taking a lot of midrange jumpers, saying that don't really tell their players not to take shots from certain spots on the floor, but rather try to design their offense in a way where the open shots will naturally come from areas where they like players to shot from (i.e. rim and 3s).

Anybody got a link to that interview by any chance or know what station/podcast/TV broadcast it was on? Would be very much appreciated.

11. rokit

rokit Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7785674&postcount=274

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7785775&postcount=275

1 person likes this.
  12. rocketabc

rocketabc Contributing Member

This.

I love you guys. Even the ones that hate me. Passion level on CF is where it's always been. But you're sleeping on us if you think we won't talk Rockets.

Oh, and let's just say the varied topics of conversation were a welcomed change from all parties involved.

Really sorry I offended so many of you guys about Harden's teeth. Truly. No, seriously. :rolleyes:

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Not sure how to take this. The statement is fine, but the rolleyes at the end makes me think you're a bit disingenuous here. And the issue was not so much CF posters taking offense at the question as much as you questioning someone's appearance compounded with not asking the basketball questions we would have asked. So, you have failed on three counts: boorish behavior, crappy interviewing, and sucky apology.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Don't worry about it, Adam. I think most people realize that you were just shooting the breeze with Daryl in a "bonus" segment. I imagine that basketball discussion will ramp up starting this week as the regular season draws nearer and there are more interesting storylines for the Rockets (e.g., the Howard/Asik combo). Also, given how "game" Daryl is to talk anything and everything, mixing in non-basketball topics can be refreshing. Of course, we diehards are going to still want plenty of quality Rockets talk.

Hey, can you let us all know . . . why the decision to cut you and Lance off at 9:00 a.m. instead of letting you go until 10:00 a.m. like 790's done for years with its morning show? I typically do a little work from home in the mornings and then head into work during at the start of the 9:00 hour, so I've been pissed that I can't listen to you and Lance in my car most mornings.

15. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Lance explicitly said after the interview that Daryl asked beforehand/off-air to talk about something besides the usual questions (Jeremy or Patrick? Who's the PF? Will you trade Omer?). I thought the interview was fun, and I'm sure we'll hear more pure b-ball talk later.

Now freaking get iHeartRadio to work in Dubai so I don't have to wait for the podcasts every night (though I will commend Michael for getting them up so quickly).

As for the teeth question ... really you're only mistake was not to drop into your Rome voice and call them "chicklets." Amateur.

16. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Thank you and major repped. I really appreciate summaries like this to media streams because I just can't listen to these podcasts or watch videos at work. Thanks!

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'll work on them for free...just need Clutchfans to get the word out. :grin:

18. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

And Harden is WAY bulkier. It is pretty freakin awesome that Harden can play offense 1-3 and defense 2-4.

19. rj3000

rj3000 Member

wexler

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Congrats to my man <a href="https://twitter.com/awexler">@awexler</a> for joining CSN Houston staff on the Rockets side! Great guy and very sharp in all sports.</p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/statuses/392369593152335873">October 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

"Lance even admitted at one point that talking basketball was "boring.""

If I am not mistaken, Lance is the guy used to be the host for the sport station 1560 for the morning football talk. I think he fits the 610 very well, just my personal opinion. Personally I like Adam, he will improve over time. As for Matt, he just loves the Rockets, because of Dream from his UH, then his hate and love for Yao, then etc. It is hard to replace one true lover for the Rockets.