1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rox can not build around Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sun12, Apr 12, 2003.

1. sun12

sun12 Member

If a player can not fully commit himself to the team for whatever reason, Rox can not and should not really build its future around that player.

Since Yao has to play for the NT team during the summer every year, he is not going to be 100% for the Rox every season. How can you build a team's future around Yao?

One example, Deion Sanders wanted to play football and then baseball. Atlanta Braves traded him to the Reds. When Cowboy signed him, Jerry Jones specifically asked him not to play baseball during the offseason.

Rox really needs to re-evaluate the team during the off-season.
    Let's hope EG turn out to be an all-star.

2. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Come on now, even tired Yao is better than most of the centers in the league. The main problem is a selfish me 1st player like Francis who puts himself ahead of the team.

:D :D :D :D :D

3. sun12

sun12 Member

That's because most of the centers in the league are really not that good.

Think about it. If you are an employer, one of your employees has another job beside working for you, plus he only sleeps 4 hours a day, what are you going to do?

4. dn1282

dn1282 Member

as long as he gets me 8 hours then it's all good. I could care less what else he's doing. :D Your employer/employee analogy doesn't really work in Yao's case because we care about Yao's health...while the employer can just hire another employee who can do the same job just as well if not better.

Either way I think Yao will be given rest. I don't think the Chinese are THAT stupid. They better recognize that he's tired or else their national treasure will become waste.

5. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

in that case ill take kidd, iverson, duncan, tmac and kobe off my fantasy teams next year because obviously they wont be able to commit themselves to their own team and play 100% after they join the national team. their teams probably wont make the playoffs next year. thanks for the advice!

6. sun12

sun12 Member

Sure, the people are not stupid. But why would the COACH care?
    As long as the team wins games, who cares if players are tired or not?

Enron's shareholders are not stupid, but the management only cares about their own pocket, as long as they get the dough, why would they care eventually the firm would go bankrupt?

7. sun12

sun12 Member

Come on, that's only a one-year deal. Even that, KG, Shaq still hesitate. Yao has to do that every year!

8. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

oh yeah, i guess the mavs will be horrible too with dirk and nash uncommitted as well, same goes with the kings with peja and divac and hedo and the spurs' parker and ginobli.....

9. sun12

sun12 Member

Plus, if every super-star gets to play for the NT, it should level the playing field. So your fantasy teams should be okay for next year;)

10. sun12

sun12 Member

Well, Nash did not play for the Canadian NT last year exactly because Cuban told him not to.

Ginobli got the ankle injury from last summer.

Parker did not play last summer.

Divac's and Peja's energy are not there this year.

The biggest difference, none of these players will play for there NT teams for 4-5 month during the summer every year and under sub-par training!!!

Yao Ming has to play for 4-5 month during the summer every year and under sub-par training.

11. Basketfun

Basketfun Member

In my opinion, in this summer, players of Rox need to train in playing as a team, and train in psychology, don't be beaten by themself, and try to don't play selfish. Yao Ming is good at these aspects. Yao ming need add strength. so it doesn't matter Yao ming go back to China. By the way, Francis should to learn to be a real leader in the team.

12. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

my undesrstanding is that Yao does not have to train his ass off like Ivan Drago every summer.

I think theres a guy by the name of Rockets2k who has done some major research on this.

13. sun12

sun12 Member

Unfortunately, every off-season, Yao has to report to the NT team as every off-season there is a tournament or so.

Let me tell you how NT team works:

Suppose you have a tournament in August, the NT team will put all players in a "concentration camp" 4 or 5 MONTH before the game date and let them go through the same routine every day. They have to get up and sleep at the right time, shoot the jumper a certain number of times, running and practicing, stuffs like that. The training method is not up to NBA standard, but it is probably improving, even at a slower rate.

The EMPHASIS of the training is to prepare players for a 2-week tournament, not a 82-game season.

Bascially, if the tournament is in September like it is this year, the whole summer is GONE for Yao.

14. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

It doesn't really matter.

The coaches never do anything with our team in the summer anyways...

I know. They probably do...

Yeah fine. Let's build around Eddie.

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Excellent memory...but you only got 1/2 of it right. :)

Use the link below and you will find what Rockets2k and I were able to patch together about Yao's schedule with the Chinese NT this summer. It's not all that bad.

I believe we also have the schedule in there somewhere for next summer. Yao's last Chinese NT games will be the 2004 Olympics and then he will have some time to rest before coming to the Rockets pre-season.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42121&highlight=asian+games

sun12 - I thinkl you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

16. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Let's pretend we have two players, one is Yao Ming and the other is, well lets call him Player EG

Yao over his summer, spends his time working out with his friends in a different country; helping to bring some of what he has learned from the US to another country.

Player EG, realizing that he doesn't have to do anything this summer (like goto China or some other place,) descides do spend his hard earned money on weed and other things that may not be considered pleasent.

You say you want a player that will be with the Rockets 24/7, or no one at all??? Well, I'd rather have a player that is honest and spends his time with family and friends than one that spends his time drinking or doing drugs (like many players in this league.)

17. sun12

sun12 Member

I hate it when people talk before getting the fact right.

Yao will play in a touranament this September, not July, not August.

Geeze, how much time did he get after the middle of September? about one and half month! Enough for rest, not enough for improvement. You got that?

18. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

So let's build the team around Steve! Yep. Point guards always lead teams to championships.

Yeah. Who is going to want Yao Ming? I mean...there is absolutely no time for him to improve! :rolleyes:

19. Juugie

Juugie Member

Pretty soon, every picture of Yao Ming is going to have to have a halo around it. :D :D :D

20. ty185

ty185 Member

sun, instead of thinking about something that's not going to happen, and even if it happens, it's a lose-lose situation, what about lets think about how we can help NT team train with a better method/higher standard, and end up with a win-win situation?

--and, don't forget, as bad as NT training are, Yao developed his jumper & passing & all his current small nice skills in china as well... it's not like they don't train sh*t at all.

LET'S BE CONSTRUCTIVE!!

:)