1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeremy Lin and Beverley, who fits better with the team and James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TTNN, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Reach

Reach Member

The no defense, no offense, no rebounding kind of PG?

2. NYK Fan

NYK Fan Rookie

I don't think we can ignore intangibles as well. Anyone who has played basketball either recreationally or in an organized capacity knows this is true...

When you play with someone who is a good playmaker and ball distributor, you are more motivated to run down to the offensive end more. And when you get to touch the ball, whether or not you actually shoot, you feel involved, and are more motivated to run back to play defense.

You'll see, teams that happen to be good offensively AND defensively tend to share the ball very well. Some teams that come to mind are:

Indiana
    Oklahoma
    Spurs
    Heat

3. TTNN

TTNN Member

I posted this before, Harden's field goal % dropped quite a bit after Beverley start to play more, which is after Feb.

[​IMG]

4. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Does this also factor in that Lin and Harden were part of that massive losing streak in January? You know, before Beverley even got into a Rockets uniform? Wouldn't that also factor in the numbers skewing toward Beverley's favor?

5. TTNN

TTNN Member

BTW, I don't mean Beverley is no good here, I mean James obviously got tired and is less effective later half of the season. So it is not TD.....

6. TTNN

TTNN Member

uh, yeah, that is included, but even though it is "skewing towards Beverley", results is not that way.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Harden had an ankle injury around early February that bothered him the rest of the season. They even sat him in April once I think to help rest the injury before the playoffs.

Good to see the numbers but context is always needed when considering these things.

Also, I wonder how much, if at all, each guy has improved in the summer. So perhaps last year's numbers won't be entirely predicative of this year's outcome. Every report I read is that each of them have worked extremely hard and I am looking forward to seeing how it translates (look good so far but it's only 3 preseason games).

8. Big Daddy Kane

It not about who starts or how well one plays in the regular season. It's about which one is capable of stepping up and performing at the end of games and in the playoffs when it really matters. Lin's lack of balls to date is what's causing McHale to second guess him. He is clearly the most talented of the two but also has shown a tendency to get intimidated (and hurt) when the pressure is really on. Beverly, on the other hand, actually does the intimidating and thrives when the game gets ugly. This is the sole reason that he could be a better fit for this, and any other championship contending team.

On the positive side for Lin fans, he does look much stronger to me this year than he did last year and I'm hoping that it will translate into more confidence and better performance at the end of games and in the playoffs when things get dirty. If he can ever develop a little of the edge and nastiness that Beverly has, he could be an all star.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

OK, but points, on its own, doesn't necessarily say much about how good the offense or defense is. You need to look at it in terms of points per possession. On that basis, we were more efficient on offense and defense with Beverley. Though that's not to say that the reason for this is simply because of Beverley at PG rather than Lin.

10. wolf8grandma

wolf8grandma Rookie

lin vs bev

I don't think this is even the discussion anymore they both play good with Harden and with adding Howard all stats from last season are void. The question now is which PG is best for the 2nd unit. That question cannot be answered yet with Asik having his 1st practice yesterday since his injury and the starting lineup yet to be determined. Having one of the best benches or the best bench in the league will determine how far we go. If DMO continues to improve and Casspi plays like as well as he did vs Pacers we could very well have a bench as good as most starting teams.

11. coffeelover665

Considering all the points you guys have bought up, another variable that factor is the team we are playing against. Is the opponent gifted offensively or are they defensive steward? Offensive starters will suit PB starting while JL for the latter.

It is true, that these newly found information should not be completely disregarded, but there are many factors and variables that would make this information "70% accurate" for the argument: Who should start PB or JL

But I personally don't like seeing a tired out JH. If he is trying harder on offense, it means there will be less defense from him, and an increase % chance of him getting injured; which is the number one thing we must avoid if we want to see a 2013-2014 banners in the stadium.

12. keldraco

keldraco Member

can you provide chart as well to support your argument?

13. TTNN

TTNN Member

Okay, add some more numbers here:

James number --------------TS-----------eFG%----------USG%------Pace

w Beverley on court ------- 55.9%-------42.9%---------35.8% -----96.05

w Jeremy on court --------- 59.9%-------51.0% ---------27.6%-----99.3

So now you can see, with Beverley, James is achieve his numbers with lower TS, lower eFG%, super high usage rate, and slow down pace. Okay, I smell lots of ISO here, or at least it is the style he played results in that. The unhealthy USG%, a 8% higher than already the highest USG% in the team.

Imaging James playing this style with starter minutes.....

Taking this into consideration, anybody please give me any piece of evidence that Beverley is "fit" with James and why we want to start him?

Beverley is not making James play better, his only advantage is put the ball in James' hand and let him work......by himself!!

14. keldraco

keldraco Member

Either our bench players+Harden was playing opponent starters a lot or Harden was less efficient playing against opponent bench players...?

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

I thought no one would ask.

[​IMG]

Lemme know if you have any more questions.

16. TTNN

TTNN Member

How biased you are! I don't know where you conclude the highlighted sentence here.

Tendency to get intimidated? Examples of Lin steps up when pressure is on: 38pts against Lakers in NYK, 38 pts against Spurs when James is out, Lin's game back to MSG last season, Lin's 29pt game against Thunder when 30% of the team got traded, Lin's last game in Taiwan (okay, that might not count).

Give me only one example when Beverley step up and take over a game? Carry the team to a win or heck, get more than 15 pts???? He don't even get that number in D-league!!!!! And yet you conclude Beverley is tough to the challenge?

Beverley disappears without James Harden!

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Pretty sure Harden had a knee injury in Feb that lingered, and which slowed him, he struggled getting/finishing at the rim alot more.

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

um ok.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IQIOJNH9-aE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Look at his left knee at 0:02.

If anyones knee bent like that it could easy get injured. Thats how he hurt his meniscus. But I'm sure its his knee not being fearless enough

19. Rox7

Rox7 Member

I still think we should start PB with James despite the data shows otherwise. :rolleyes:

Nice work OP.

20. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Okay so good thing is Harden will not be overused when he plays with JL, better for his long career in the NBA. Can play at the highest level for more years.

Now the more important thing hows for the Rockets? :grin: