1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Friedman] News And Notes: Asik Returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lfw, Oct 18, 2013.

1. lfw

lfw Rookie

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/news-and-notes-asik-returns

Looking forward to Asik to playing in a game. Very interested in seeing Howard and Asik on the court together to see how McHale tries to get them to fit together.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is he playing in the next game? Anyone know?

3. cebunit

cebunit Member

My take is that if Asik and Howard play each other in practice, it will benefit them both. Howard has problems with true BIG MEN (7ft+) and it gives him a chance to practice against one quite often. Asik will have a more of a power player to play against that will give him fits when Asik is playing offense.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The OP omitted the most interesting part of the article:

So, Omer+Dwight in the starting lineup?

5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Friedman tweeted he expected Asik to get some playing time, barring any setbacks on his calf.

6. bmd

bmd Member

I can't wait to see both Asik and Dwight in the same game. Even if they aren't on the floor at the same time.

It's what I've been wanting to see most.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

We will get heavy doses of Howard/Asik and post entry passes for the rest of the preseason.

At this point, we know PF is going to be a question mark going into the season. No-one has seized the job, so we will just roll with variations of small ball, Casspi, big ball, and TJones/DMo.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I am excited to see an Omer+Dwight starting lineup.

All the players we have tried at PF have shown flashes, but nobody has been consistent enough to hold that spot.

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

If it's one guy that Dwight can't bully around, its Asik. I hope this beast embraces his role and sticks around. It would kill me to see him contribute for another team because rest assure, he will.

10. rajon

rajon Member

I can't wait to see how Omer and Dwight play together against Memphis in the last preseason game.

11. Carl Herrera

Actually, Dwight did bully Asik around last year when the Rockets played against the Lakers. So, they ended up putting Greg Smith on Dwight and Smith did a significantly better job.

I think Smith is perhaps better than Asik guarding the straight post-up, when he knows what's coming and sees the guy he is guarding in front of him. Smith is just much more prone to missing assignments in the team scheme.

12. Deniz

Deniz Member

why not:grin:

always the same who were interviewed.
    why do they not make an interview with asik. I don't think that he would refuse if they only ask 2 or 3 questions.
    what about bev, d-mo, casspi?

I hope howard and asik can work together.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Very glad he's back! I hope he's glad to be back, too.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

True. Asik does have his limitations on defense, but they are few and far between.

He had trouble with Scola, but how many stretch-5s are we really going to play against?

Howards overall athleticism was too much for Asik...but that's true of almost everyone.

15. matthewsq

matthewsq Member

WOOT WOOT! Twin Towers so excited! Don't disappoint please. Top 3 Offensive and Top 3 Defensive Team Here we come

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Even weirder, Omer + Dwight IS the starting lineup - as in 2 on 5.

It's the only way to keep Omer happy and creates severe matchup problems when teams try to go small.

17. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

McHale gets major points from me in putting Omer out there with DHo. Hope he sticks with it even if there are some ugly possessions or games, as I think that it will work out in the long run.

18. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Oh yea.. I know Asik will destroy.. This Turkish b*stard has some true grit.. With him and Howard on the floor together..Thats speed and power lingering in the paint.. We're gonna make teams think twice about coming into the paint.. Hopefully it plays out..

19. Carl Herrera

Oh yeah!

[​IMG]

I wonder if the team's best line-up will end up being a 1-1-2-5-5 group of Lin-Beverley-Harden-Howard-Asik. They are arguably the five best players on the team.

20. MONON

MONON Member

I just recently got LP & that game's already set to record!:grin:;)

It's going to be fun watching Howard & Asik together.