1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[U Turns] Does this even make sense?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TexasStake, Oct 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

ok So I lived in Houston for 6 years and never had an issue with this. A U turn worked like you would think. In Virginia, it seems very dangerous and uncalled for. It's not even a U turn anymore. Check out my drawings and I've also included a satelite view of an example here in town. This one actually has the ARROWS showing you which side to be on, other parts of town don't have the arrows but the people that live here treat it the same way as you see in this photo:

[​IMG]

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...37.2786604!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!17b1&fid=7

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Your Virginia drawing is the correct way of doing things.

It's way smarter and safer, you can see oncoming traffic that way

3. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

Thing is, cars get backed up in the on coming lanes because of so many trying to u turn, You'll even have 2 cars trying to U turn the same direction at same time

4. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

Looking at the google map link, it's a three way intersection. I think your Virginia way is correct. Your Htown way has you in the wrong lane facing incoming traffic.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yes, the Virgina drawing is the correct way to make those turns. They teach you that in driving school. That's why there are some turns that make you take the "Virginia turn" in Houston.

In fact, I HATE when people turn that way. Because in the Houston drawing, when both cars are positioned, neither of you can see and are blocking each others view. The Virgina drawing is so much more safer and definitely the correct way to make that turn.

6. brooksstephens

VA does it right. Also, I believe you're drawing is leaving out the fact that a U-Turn is usually not the only option. The intended purpose of these medians is usually to either make a left turn, or for drivers using the perpendicular road to merge on to the far lane.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

There is plenty of space in between the two medians to turn using a non-crossing U like you illustrate for Virginia.

In TEXAS (Htown too, mind you) we probably don't have as much space, but if you do a U-turn, we probably will NOT do it "Virginia" style, just like you would with a light signal. :eek:

THE BOOK says nothing about the U-turn, by the way. :cool: So... there's no law.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I just do whatever is most convenient for me. Sometimes h-town style, sometimes Virginia style.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

If there is no median in the U-turn section it should be treated like a 2way road,

hence you should always stay to the right. (Unless you're from the U.K.)...:cool:

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I do it Amman, Jordan style. Find an opening and go.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I've driven in Jordan before. It's actually an easy place to drive.

just never take a cab there from the Israeli border into Jordan.

if you want crazy, try Cairo or India.

1 person likes this.
  12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes for the Virginia method because it certainly feels that way on the road. It's definitely safer.

13. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

How do people do the "h-town" style? You can't see each others respective oncoming traffic because yall are blocking each other views. I always get annoyed when drivers do this, just seems like common sense to me.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Virginia, always.

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I think the problem with the Virginia method is that if more than one car is trying to U-Turn, they end up blocking the car trying to U-Turn in the other direction.

16. raj87

raj87 Member

My pet peeve are those motorists that pull a U-Turn out of a protected left turn lane at a tight intersection. They have to brake so hard that it interrupts the natural flow of the left turners.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The second in line shouldn't be blocking the street (crossover) in the first place. They should stop well back of the crossover.

18. dookiester

dookiester Member

Glad we have this thread to separate those who know how to drive from those who don't. lol @ this being a Houston way vs Virginia way. If you make U-turns as depicted in the Htown drawing, you're doing it wrong and screwing it up for the rest of us.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Virginia makes more sense.
    Houston is more convenient.

Not like I have a choice anyway. Everyone in every city I've driven in does Houston-styled u-turns.

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Apparently you haven't driven on Bellaire in Chinatown.