1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can anyone become a great shooter through practice?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DeAleck, Oct 17, 2013.

1. AFS

AFS Member

It can be learned. Take this guy, for example:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P_759yyIcyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. basketballholic

Most definitely

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yes. Throughout high school, I had the most garbage shot. You just have to be mentally tough to work on your mistakes in your form and grind it out. Now, I shoot 70+% in shooting drills for 3pt.

I also know this guy who wasn't allowed to shoot in high school because his shot was so bad, but ended up being a 50% 3pt shooter in college his senior year. That is a pretty great percentage to me. You can improve your shot a lot, but only some can improve to become a "great" shooter. It's possible though.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You can go from a poor shooter to a good shooter just by practicing.

You can't go from a good shooter to elite level just by practicing, IMO.

5. WNBA

WNBA Member

Anyone can be a great shooter if he shoots 2000 jumpers per day.

But 99.999% of the players won't even shoot 200 jumpers per day.

6. iLookOK

iLookOK Member

7. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

You have to be able to understand your mistakes before you can get any better.. Its a small margin to correct, but its difficult for most to remember the correction..

To me, the reason most NBA players suck at shooting is because their mind hasn't totally adjusted to their height.. All these guys are tall as crap.. what needs to be understood is that reguardless of height.. The ball is shot EXACTLY the same at all heights..

Hakeem is teaching these guys basketball concepts not moves..Any player at any height can execute them..Pg to C..

8. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Even if some one does shoot 2000 shots, if they don't have the proper mechanics they aren't going to improve significantly. Which is one reason Dwight struggles with free throws; he can practice all day, but he has flaws in his form that will always make him inconsistent if he doesn't fix them.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Can anyone learn to play a musical instrument? Can anyone learn to ride a bike? If so, then anyone can learn to be a good shooter. There is nothing special about shooting a basketball. It is far more repetitive and less complicated than learning either of the other two.

The key for all of those is proper instruction and practice. Once you have bad habits, practice doesn't help very much as it only reinforces your mistakes. Eventually, everyone will hit a plateau based on their natural talent. No one will be Ray Allen or Steph Curry, but I believe anyone can learn to hit an open standstill jumper.

10. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

If a player has the right person teaching them.. They can become an elite shooter..

When I miss a shot.. I break down why right after the miss. Did I elevate enough?? Where my shoulders square?? Did I release the ball to early/late?? You have to pay attention to detail..even when you miss a shot. How else would you know what you need to corrected..

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Any number of folks can become good shooters. Becoming a good shooter in front of 15,000 screaming people with a defender running at you is another story.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Everyone pretty much has said it. Elite shooting in game condition is a talent that cannot be taught or practiced.

But the act of shooting itself is one of those skills in basketball that can be improved a LOT with enough practice and good coaching.

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The fact is that the most popular coaching shooting techniques are not used by top shooters, and many of those shooters don't even realise it.
    Breaking down top shooters form:
    Durant
    [youtube]BqegTHDgsH4[/youtube]
    Irving
    [youtube]ula7sxKCyH8[/youtube]
    Curry
    [youtube]FgeAA0b8siQ[/youtube]

Like the other video I posted mentioned, it's funny how many of them actually believe they are doing things like squaring their feet or never dipping the ball from where they catch it. No wonder other players get taught these techniques and it doesn't work for them.

[youtube]3PXy44_f330[/youtube]

14. RikSmits

RikSmits Member

I don't know if he's a good example, but I beieve Michael Redd was not a good shooter at Ohio State, and even had a so-so ft%, but in the NBA he really developed into a sharpshooter.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Can anyone learn how to shoot 90% freethrows?
    Can anyone learn to be a great dart thrower?
    Can anyone learn how to be a Marine sniper?

16. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Probably not anyone. If you have stiff, deformed hands I doubt it. Some centers I think are legitimately incapable of being great shooters.

17. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Well, this applies to life too. You put in the effort on anything. You'll should see some returns. How much depends on a combination of the amount of effort and your own physical/mental limits.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yes you can become great. Like Jason Terry great. But hiiiiiggghly unlikely to become ELITE.

vid of Mahmoud Abdul Rauf hitting 102 of 104 far jumpers. He's just locked in like that. Focus and mechanics just there on command

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jkoSy-5Z6U0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not many guys have it like that. You can get into the 85+ range through repetition and dedication to removing the kinks out of your form.

Not everyone is built with their joints in alignment, vision and depth perception measured in consistent, etc. It can be developed but such a steep uphill climb in in non-greats matching the greats that many just discontinue trying

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No. The question is, can anyone become a great shooter. Someone can, but not anyone.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member