1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Good Was Yao Ming?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Oct 16, 2013.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its a more fair comparison if you exclude Dwight's first couple years when he wasn't an all-star. Remember, he came straight out of high school, while Yao had already been playing professionally for some time before his rookie year.

That said, Yao's numbers are still better. It just wasn't a good matchup for Dwight.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Third greatest Rocket big of all time.

3. ILoveWhiteGirls

I don't think you understand the sport of Basketball. I mean I'm no expert but clearly you know less than I do, lol..

1 person likes this.
  4. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Best big man in history over 7"2. Yao actually lost most of his vertical as teenager after an injury. Some older clips showed he can jump high in the past. If everything goes right, he could have been ridiculously good.

5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

In 08-09 Yao was hands down the best center in the league and he was still getting better. Imagine the Harden trade if Yao was still here.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That year Yao put up 40 against like, Washington... right before his first major injury. He was special. Shaq-like with some range. He was scoring in the paint, at will, with authority. Telling Kaman, "you cant ****ing guard me". It was a brief run.

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

LOL - now thats funny

yeah..he's only been on Clutchfans for a year, so I'm guessing he's probably too young to understand just how good Yao really was.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/htm7b_saqcs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think he was good, but not great player. He was really good once you got him the ball, but he could be stopped by smaller guys by fronting him, and basically you would spend too much of the clock trying to get him the ball. Once he got the ball in a good position I think he was pretty much unguardable. He was too big and too skilled. On defense he was really good except he couldn't guard the pick and roll.

9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Game-changing big.

He was the best C in the game, dominated other C's and changed how teams not only defended us but also how they tried to score on us. It's tough when you have a 7'5 Center clogging the lane.

His in-game downfall was rebounding and trying to take charges. Outside of that, he was the best C in the game and had a great inside-out touch. He would've continued a 22-23ppg/9-10rpg pace had he not been injured.

Obviously his real down fall was year-round playing and breaking down. At 7'5, it's hard not too, but he was very, very good. I'd say in today's NBA, top 10 player but a top 2 impact probably just behind LeBron.

10. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

If Asik is considered to be a "good player" then Yao was a great player. Was he one of the all time greats? No, but I think he had the potential to be before his injury. Just calling him "good" doesn't really do him justice imo.

11. Rhodium

Rhodium Member

what color of glasses are you wearing?

12. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Yao won the only playoff series the Rockets have won since the Dream and he did it on a broken foot. Yao was great for the short time he was with the Rockets and he had three times the career of Ralph Sampson. I think Sampson was better (more athletic). I would take Dwight over Yao, he lead a terrible team to the finals, enough said. Yao made the best of what he had as apposed to She-Mac. Yao was great and Barkley was wrong about him, surprise, surprise! I also love that Yao made the Houston Rockets one of China's favorite teams.

13. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

Yao was the last real big man in the game...you still have a couple guys (Gasol bros and Zbo) who are trying to bring it back but he was the last "dun dada"

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yao was much better defensively than people give him credit for. All the numbers suggest the rockets defense struggled much more than their offense did without Yao. He was an interior anchor despite not blocking a lot of shots.

Offensively he was great, but he had major problems with fronting that kept him from being truly dominant. Thats actually the reason he had so much success against Howard. The Magic were always convinced Howard could defend him straight up in the post, but defending Yao straight up was impossible.

Yao was a monster, who could have been the best player on a title contender, but he just couldn't stay healthy. He was just hitting his stride in 05 when the injuries started.

15. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Yao was an absolute stud

He had amazing post moves, great touch, great passing and just as importantly he was a GREAT PERSON. Always spoke highly of the Rockets and his team mates. No drama. All class. Just went out and represented the Rockets well and never had any bad PR unlike Harden with them hookers and Dwight with them baby mamas

16. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

Yao got the best of Dwight when Dwight was still early in his career.

Not going to touch on injuries, Yao was a great shooter for his size, and fundamentally very sound. He was a little slow on Defense and flat footed on defense, but at that size, that is exactly what you would expect. Also Yao didn't dominate down low like he should with that size.

That said, Yao was still a great player, and a very good teammate.

Howard is very Athletic, but lacks a great offensive game. If he improved offensively, and hit more of his free throws, he would be the better big.

Some of you forget he led a pretty mediocre Magic team to the finals a few years back.

17. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

how is rebounding is downfall. he would get around 10 rebounds a game in only around 33 mins a game

Yao's downfall was he was too unselfish. he should have demanded the ball and just jump hooked and turn around people to death

think about this which is pretty crazy. i think in Yao's entire career, only maybe about 1 year was he the primary option where he got steady touches in the post

18. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

the East was complete garbage that year and his team had guys at the peak of their careers

nelson and Turk where pretty mch all stars that year

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Stopped reading after this.

Name another 7'3'' or taller player who played as long as, and better, than Yao.

Watch some youtube vids to refresh your memory of Yao's multiple moves in the post.

20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Yao was a beast in an era of dying bigs. He took on the end of prime Shaq, the adolescent stage of Dwight Howard/Andrew Bynum, and probably faced more stretch 4's than anything else. His game though was phenomenal. 7'5" tall with range! Could back you up to the basket than shoot that sweet fadeaway or hookshot. Handles were ridiculous for his size! Defensively, he changed more shots than almost anyone else in his time of play (Ben Wallace, Shaq, Dwight). Yao was also the best passing center in the league bar none.

People forget how complete a player Yao was. Soft touch, could pass, could finish with contact, defended the paint well. As far as all-time greats go, he wont make anyone's top 50, but he certainly is top 10 bigs of all time for Houston, which is saying a lot with out great big man history!

The most important thing to remember about Yao, is that he shouldered the international title on his shoulders. He brought in the new era of international players being drafted into the league. He also carried the entire country of China on his shoulders as well. Not only did he come out of his comfort zone to become a tougher, more physical player in the NBA (very different than how they play ball in China), but he also balanced his culture as to please his Government and fellow countrymen of China.

Yao was a BEAST. Not only as a basketball player, but as a role model, ambassador, husband, father, shoot a HUMAN BEING. If you don't like Yao, then you don't like LIFE!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T0Ve5j7w26I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.