1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(SBNATION) Asik's versatility makes him one of the NBA's best defensive centers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Oct 15, 2013.

1. basketballrock

feel bad for omer

he did all this work and he not appreciated with dwight here

2. basketballholic

That's not hard to believe. What's the big deal? He's already light-years ahead of Dwight with the jumper. Dwight will NEVER develop a jumper. Dwight doesn't need a jumper. He can catch the ball in traffic. Dwight needs clean, crisp post moves.

Asik, by contrast, will NEVER have great hands in traffic. He can catch in space. When he is wide open at the rim, he can catch and flush....most of the time. But you don't want Asik handling in traffic on the block. He'll NEVER be that kind of player. So...why not pursue the development of Asik shooting the occasional jumper when needed?

Asik also, by contrast, has already demonstrated good form and good shooting basics in the few attempts we have seen him take.

Also, in another contrast, DMo and TJones have proven that they are below average shooters from the 3-point line and from midrange. They're essentially 30-33% 3-point shooters. If they were anywhere close to 37-38% we wouldn't be having this discussion. But they're not. They are below average out there. Hence we are concentrating on how good they are at "passing" the basketball and "dribbling" the basketball. Like we don't have enough guys doing that already???

So....if Asik could hit 25% from 3.....just 25%....which would you prefer...Asik with his defensive and rebounding prowess shooting the 3 at 25% or would you prefer DMo/TJones and their lackluster 30-33% 3-point shooting and their defense and rebounding prowess?? For my money...I don't think Asik has to shoot that well for his on-court value to exceed DMo/TJones' value....as long as DMo and TJones remain below average jump shooters. For my money...for DMo/TJones to earn substantial minutes over Asik they need to be able to shoot the 3 at close to 40%. Because Asik's defense and rebounding is that much superior to their defense and rebounding. Asik's defense and rebounding will create 90% 2-point shots. That is to say...layups and dunks on the other end. That's 1.8 points per shot. That's the equivalent of a 60% 3 point shooter but it's actually even more than that since Asik is actually STOPPING the opponent from scoring the ball themselves.

The point differential that Asik creates by being on the floor is too great to substitute below average 3-point shooters with below average to AT BEST average defense and rebounding in his place. That's why he's going to get his 30 minutes. That's why when one of him and Howard aren't out there...they are going to be replaced with a dude that can shoot the 3. That's why the rotation is going to include Garcia and Casspi before it includes DMO and TJones UNLESS DMo and TJones start knocking down the 3-ball at a much better percentage.

3. dje243

dje243 Member

This is why we need to work to keep this guy as long as we can. Dwight and Asik bring the kind of defense and rebounding that win championships. You find a way to give both significant minutes.

4. dje243

dje243 Member

If we need to "start" him at the 5 with Dwight at the 4 and make quick adjustments as needed just to appease him and make him more likely to stay then so be it. There are plenty of "starters" who get subbed out fairly quickly but still play a high number of minutes. I think if we keep him a starter in name, we can convince him to stay for a reasonable raise.

5. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Bravo!!! well said

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This breakdown makes me realize that Asik and Howard are two different beasts. There is no way Howard is as good on the perimeter or cutting off angles than Asik. What a player. If he could catch a pass in traffic, he'd be unbelievable at 8m/yr.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Well said. That is why I would like to see Asik get at least 20 mins at the 4, and the rest of Howard's minutes at the 5.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Asik plays that textbook defense. He's almost always in good position and when he's not he uses the angles and space to pressure the shot. If we trade him we better get a hell of a lot because he's worth it.

9. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Tack on Asik's durability (well other than the weird injury this preseason) and great attitude/team play to his list of positives.

10. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

This. I mean we have ppl that can score.

11. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I definitely think he'll be significantly better in a couple years. So right when he's hitting his peak, he'll end up signing with another team...that is if he isn't traded this year. I just don't see a scenario where he stays with our team either way.