1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. munco

munco Member

McHale the player was great.
    McHale's interviews are great.
    McHale's coaching skills are bad to mediocre.

With this said we have enough talent to win regardless of who's coaching. Remember, Mike Brown won 66 games with Lebron in 2008.

2. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I'm sorry there's no hard evidence but an observant guy like Clutch would interpret this so and I tend to agree with him on this point.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You need to check your sarcasm meter if you really think Clutch actually thinks McHale did it just to "troll" the fans.

4. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

LOL these threads

5. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

i think we were pretty much the same as the season prior in terms of win and losses

6. Jovial

Jovial Member

Fully agree. With this guy, no chance for Champion.:)

7. fooshayd

fooshayd Rookie

This team will go as far as Chris Finch and J. B. Bickerstaff takes us. McHale seems to have a good relationship with the players and maybe that's his role here. Sampson is a cheater and a disgrace, I still can't believe he is on the coaching staff of my favourite team, makes me sick.

8. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Well my certitude meter surely isn't as high as yours but it's not out of the question that he wasn't being sarcastic at the time from my view. He certainly didn't think McHale did it "just to troll the fans", (way to exaggerate) he very likely did want to test lineups, but the situation could certainly be interpreted that way and having this element isn't out of the question IMHO. I mean, there are articles in the media written with that interpretation and many real people actually felt it. Even though many try to pull him into their camp, I don't get the impression that Clutch is totally bipartisan, that if he say something that isn't what a group expects, it must be sarcasm. I really don't know.

9. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

13. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

14. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

What a funny comment, he was just dumb enough to get caught. Everybody is cheating in the college game.

15. torocan

torocan Member

Do I really need to pull THIS article out again?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/ne...need-be-wary-minnesota-wednesday/?partner=RSS

Still think it was McHale's fine basketball mind?

I stand by my opinion... and that of his former player.

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

fire mchale for preseason rotations!

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

So basically, you think Morey, Rosas, Hinkie all don't know basketball, correct? And that it's more important to have the opinion of random former player.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Justice-Rockets-praise-McHale-s-leadership-1621597.php

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would think he got better at the X and O's since his last gig.

19. torocan

torocan Member

No, what I think is they found a suitable coach for a rebuilding team, ie, one that wouldn't get in the way of the assistant coaches. It has already been acknowledged that the offense and defense are not designed or called by McHale but my Sampson, Bickerstaff and Finch.

McHale may have other strengths, one of which may be that when they brought him on that he was going to be cheap.

Whether he's a championship level coach is another question entirely. I'm willing to entertain the possibility that he doesn't need to be a great X's and O's coach (Phil Jackson wasn't one), however as the season plays out I'll be watching him closely.

Last season my greatest dissatisfactions with McHale were

1) his minutes allocation. He played Harden and Parsons WAY too many minutes, even during blowouts, and

2) His rigid substitution patterns. Too often when players were playing well or poorly he would stick to his substitution timing. It was frustrating to see certain players clearly on fire or bombing and McHale pulling/leaving them in for fixed amounts of minutes as if his hands would burn if he deviated from his sub patterns. This is aside from head scratching substitutions like pulling Asik on free throws when we needed critical rebounds (which he acknowledged as an error to his credit).

I'm not on the "fire" McHale bandwagon at the moment. Since they kept him to this point it would make no sense to fire him. However I will be watching him rather closely during the season in terms of what line ups he presents on the floor and at what times he substitutes his players.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

So you think Morey's lying when he said McHale is smart and knows about basketball?

Edit: It seems odd. You post an interview of a ex-player and take his word at face value. When I return by showing you quotes from Morey, arguably the best GM in the NBA today, saying the exact opposite, you come up with an essay to "explain" what Morey really meant.

If you want to not take interview quotes at full value, I'm fine with that. Perhaps Morey does have ulterior motives. But then you go ahead and just totally believe an ex-player without looking anything into it. Have you really become a bitter and stopped all your reasonableness that you showed last season?

#4240 meh, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013